Do you guys think we could do just as good of a job in congress

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Meh, I make enough money for doing nothing. I'm going to vote nay :p

Well no committee assignments for you then!

Sweet! I'll be taking a nap if anyone needs me!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Are you serious? ATOT couldn't decide which shoes to put on in the morning if everybody had input. Everything would take about 6* longer than it does now after everyone's finished correcting grammar, spelling, and being dickish about trivial points of a bill that don't even matter in the end.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I'd trust a blind retarded chimp before the average ATOT-er and the average ATOT-er before any elected official. The chimps would be best because they wouldn't be slaves to the special interest groups that financed their campaigns. Flinging feces at a "Yea! - Nay" chart seems far more honest and dignified than the way things are really done.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Are you serious? ATOT couldn't decide which shoes to put on in the morning if everybody had input. Everything would take about 6* longer than it does now after everyone's finished correcting grammar, spelling, and being dickish about trivial points of a bill that don't even matter in the end.

...and your point is somehow this is better than our congress? The congress that often misses many votes, only makes it to stupid shit like dumb ass resolutions, and signs documents into law that they don't read?

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Flaw in humanity is greed, thus allowing lobbyists to compromise those put into a position of power and trust. Chances are, no one here would be any different - and those that are different, are in such a small minority that they won't be able to make a difference.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005

You've obviously never gotten into an internet argument.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
90% of what they do is fundraising to pay for their campaign so they can keep their jobs.

I think I can do their jobs better than them, but I am certain I couldn't deal with all the asskissing and BS of fundraising.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
90% of what they do is fundraising to pay for their campaign so they can keep their jobs.

I think I can do their jobs better than them, but I am certain I couldn't deal with all the asskissing and BS of fundraising.

qft. i hate politics. it's all BS and asskissing, and trying not to step on too many toes. if i were to magically warp to the hill, i guarantee you 534 people would not like me because i actually gave a rat's ass about where this country was heading and would tell everyone to go to hell if need be.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: magomago

...and your point is somehow this is better than our congress? The congress that often misses many votes, only makes it to stupid shit like dumb ass resolutions, and signs documents into law that they don't read?

No, his point is that it would be worse...dur. :laugh:

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
the proper question isn't could we do as good a job.....rather, it's could we do as BAD a job??

Congress caters to everyone BUT the people that vote them into office, and is only about 200 years overdue for a major overhaul of their rules concerning special interests, donations and political favoritism.

I always get a kick out of people that talk about voting every politician out of office at once (impossible, by the way, since only 1/3 of the senators come up for re-election every 2 years), thinking that government would suddenly run so much more smoothly and with much more common sense. Chances are, the reality would be that it would take much longer to pass bills (until everyone figured out that the 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch your back' rule really does work). But I do believe that the bills that were passed wouldn't contain the immense amounts of pork that we see today.......at least, not for a while!

Sadly, we have allowed political office at the national level to become a rich man's game, where only those that have tons of political connections will get into office (for the most part). Those same connections are why they must then do all the favors to those people once they're in office.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm starting a campaign for we the people to amend The Constitution to impose term limits for house/senate. Spread the word in your state. We don't need congress's approval or vote. We can do it.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
I'm starting a campaign for we the people to amend The Constitution to impose term limits for house/senate. Spread the word in your state. We don't need congress's approval or vote. We can do it.

this woudl do no good.