Do you guys like windows 8?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by HNNstyle, Dec 7, 2012.

1. HNNstyle

HNNstyle Senior member

I'm trying to decide if I should get it. I'm on windows 7 right now.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - guys windows Forum Date
    Just discovered a Windows Explorer trick you guys probably all know... Operating Systems Aug 27, 2012
    Guys how can i make a limited account for windows xp pro? Operating Systems Dec 11, 2005
    How many times do you guys reinstall Windows??? Operating Systems Nov 16, 2005
    Oooo, do I have a good one for you guys...How do you disable right-clicking in Windows XP. Operating Systems Apr 19, 2005
    What window manager do you guys use? Operating Systems Jan 24, 2005

3. showb1z

showb1z Senior member

If you're already on windows 7 there aren't that many reasons to upgrade.
    But there aren't really any reasons not to either imo. Win 8 is mostly a further optimized version of 7 with some extras.
    What some people go apeshit about is the new UI. Just give it a fair chance for a while, if you don't like it get one of those UI mods like start8 to get rid of it.

Anyway, personally I like it. It's stable, fast, supposedly more secure, faster boots and new task manager are nice. Helps that it's so cheap too.
    I don't consider the UI an improvement, but for me it's not worse either, it's just different way of doing things. I'm not impressed by the way metro apps are integrated though. I don't know why anyone would ever use one on a desktop so they're mostly useless to me.
    Took me a day to get used to the UI and set everything up but I can do everything at least as fast as in 7.

4. Angel2

Angel2 Banned

I am not upgrading to Windows 8 i am sticking to Windows 7.I do not think there are too many reasons to upgrade to Windows 8.

5. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I can't see any reason to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 but for Windows XP users it would make for a good upgrade.

6. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

The only reason I would make the jump is for performance. I could see that during the week I had Win8 running, my system was definitely more responsive in all areas. Once I got to the desktop, it felt like a more highly-tuned version of Win7. I went back to Win7 only because it runs Windows Live apps, which MS ditched in Win8.

7. yinan

yinan Golden Member

Hell No. It is awful.

8. brandonb

brandonb Diamond Member

If it came pre-bundled with Start8, I'd like it alot.

There are things I like about Win8.

It's much faster to boot.
    It has a much nicer interface for many common windows components, such as a new task manager. File copy graphics stats, etc.

But I do not like to boot into the new metro interface, and would rather have it drop me directly to desktop with a start button. With the option to switch between the two if I want to (the new metro vs the old desktop).

If they only added the options to switch between the two (old style and new style) upon boot, I'd believe Win8 to great. Without that feature, people need to spend an additional $5 on Start8.

That said. I like Windows8 + Start8. If I did not have Start8, I'd prefer Windows 7.

9. HNNstyle

HNNstyle Senior member

Thanks for your opinions but I've just bought it and I'm really liking it so far. I think that it's attractive and easy to use, probably because it resembles my smartphone interface.

#8 HNNstyle, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

11. Tsavo

Tsavo Platinum Member

It'd be ok if it wasn't such a bug-ridden POS. Seems like they did no bug hunting/fixing.

12. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

which bugs are you seeing?
    I have heard of a few driver problems...

13. HNNstyle

HNNstyle Senior member

The only thing I don't like about windows 8 so far is the lack of useful apps. I'm having to switch back to windows mode a lot to get to my bookmarks or maybe there is a chrome app that I don't know about?

14. Mem

Mem Lifer

Upgraded three win7 PCs to 8,no issues with drivers or anything else including gaming,its solid ,fast and just works.

I''ll say yes I 'm very happy to be on Win8 just like I was happy with Win7,Vista,XP etc...
    I've noticed there are a lot more positive comments on Win8 at OCuK forums,so again verdict/overall opinions seems to vary between sites you go to etc...

#13 Mem, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

Ditto. Windows 8 is great!

16. bbhaag

bbhaag Diamond Member

I think there is a Chrome app. I remember trying it out when I first got Win8.
    I removed it because it didn't allow for the use of extensions. No ABP or HTTPS Everywhere=no deal in my book.
    That was awhile ago though so it may have changed by now.

As far as useful apps go or the lack of them. I think we just have to be patient. Win8 is still really new so it will take some time to build the app library.

17. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

From what little I've used it, no. I'll give it a fair chance later (have 4 copies from ACM to play with). Of course, I didn't think Vista was that bad either so who knows how I'll end up on Windows 8.

18. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

Yes. Sometimes I am annoyed by the fact that I can no longer click the start button to quickly launch something. You don't know how many times I click the left part of the taskbar looking for the Windows Start Icon.

19. Mem

Mem Lifer

I liked Vista as well,infact only Win 3.1 and ME I did not like,I'll say Win8 needs more time to adjust and learn then previous operating systems but that's not a bad thing.

20. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

I really like it. Very clean, efficient, well thought out, and super stable OS. What more could you ask for?

21. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

upgraded several PCs to Windows 8 after the initial install. I would say it's a much faster/slimmer OS and it improved multitasking/productive for me personally.

22. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

Notice you didn't get a reply? Trolling BSer. Win8 is probably the most bug-free OS that Microsoft has released yet. Hell, it found my wireless printer and joined it to my network on the install, no driver disk needed. If MS had released it without the Metro interface, people would be raving over it. Give your average user something new to learn and all hell breaks lose.

23. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I personally haven't seen any instability (I came from a straight Windows 7 Upgrade) except for a few applications needing re-installation since they insert software drivers into the system.

In my experience, it's been bug free so far. API-wise is another matter completely.

24. cmaMath13

cmaMath13 Platinum Member

Yes, I like it. I like it a lot! Make the jump if you want to try something new!

25. dinker99

dinker99 Member

Someone explain to me what advantage the Metro UI has. You can only have one app running at a time. you cannot resize the window and there is no way of closing it.

26. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

I'm indifferent about it. I've been using it since Release Candidate and honestly I just use desktop all of the time. I bought Start8 and just boot to desktop.

It feels a little snappier than Win7, but that's all the usefulness to me there is. I am not on the "app craze" and would rather look up info in a browser than have an app for everything out there.