Do you guys/gals ever think how short this life is? What's the point of it all?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The earth is 4.5B years. If you are lucky, you might make it to 90. Even if you lived to 120 our lives are so short. if the solar system blinked their goes 10,00 years.

With life being so short what does anything matter anyway? I guess it's the journey. Not the destination. Because whatever you do. All the accomplishments. The rewards. They are all going to disappear. Steve Jobs is a perfect example. You could be a billionaire and develop technology that the world loves and uses, but in the end does it matter? Again, it's the journey. Are you happy and excited doing what you're doing? I think that's the key. I don't even really believe in legacies. Everything eventually fades.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This is way too deep for ATOT.

Keep it simple, like "Live is a bitch, and then you die". Otherwise, folks like Mayne aren't going to understand what you're talking about.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The earth is 4.5B years. If you are lucky, you might make it to 90. Even if you lived to 120 our lives are so short. if the solar system blinked their goes 10,00 years.

With life being so short what does anything matter anyway? I guess it's the journey. Not the destination. Because whatever you do. All the accomplishments. The rewards. They are all going to disappear. Steve Jobs is a perfect example. You could be a billionaire and develop technology that the world loves and uses, but in the end does it matter? Again, it's the journey. Are you happy and excited doing what you're doing? I think that's the key. I don't even really believe in legacies. Everything eventually fades.

"Look upon my works ye mighty and despair"

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So how is your FIRE going? Making any progress? So how does FIRE fit into your life is short theory? Seems kind of contradictory doesn't it?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
For some reason this reminds of a Sylvester Stallone interview I saw a long time ago when he was in his Rambo heyday. The main thing he seemed to want to talk about was how fast life was passing by.

The thing I remember him saying in particular was something to the effect of:

"I feel like I just got started in the business and suddenly: "blink" - I'm in my forties. And now I feel like the next time I "blink" I'm going to be old. We live in a two blink life."

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
For some reason this reminds of a Sylvester Stallone interview I saw a long time ago when he was in his Rambo heyday. The main thing he seemed to want to talk about was how fast life was passing by.

The thing I remember him saying in particular was something to the effect of:

"I feel like I just got started in the business and suddenly: "blink" - I'm in my forties. And now I feel like the next time I "blink" I'm going to be old. We live in a two blink life."
Yea. Just watched a review for Terminator: Dark Fate. Linda and Arnie are both old now. Same with Sly. Just watched the new Rambo, and he's 73.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Explains a lot! :D
There are some good supplements that can fix this. I recommend a daily does of weed, whippets, molly, acid, cocaine, heroin, meth, paint huffing, bath salts and krokodil to counter the effects of caring about memory loss.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There are some good supplements that can fix this. I recommend a daily does of weed, whippets, molly, acid, cocaine, heroin, meth, paint huffing, bath salts and krokodil to counter the effects of caring about memory loss.
See? This is the kind of response I was hoping for!

Although you forgot adding some bleach to protect yourself from the evil COVID.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
See? This is the kind of response I was hoping for!

Although you forgot adding some bleach to protect yourself from the evil COVID.

My personal preference is Pine-Sol ... smell reminds me of when somebody puked in elementary school!

:D :oops:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
OP needs Jesus. :p Seriously though, if life just ended, it would be very meaningless and depressive to even think about. Thankfully there is more to look forward to as long as you give your life to Christ. You don't need religion or anything, just believe Jesus died for your sins and accept him in your life.

Still it's easy to sometimes feel a bit depressed about how short it really is though. Once you hit 20 years old, you're basically at the half way point, since it just goes by faster and faster exponentially and that seems to be the point where the curve starts to ramp up. I still can't believe I'm in my 30's, I didn't even see my 20's it just went too fast. And it's only going to go faster.

I've seen a Ted talk about laying out your life on a grid and checking off each week/month (I forget), the idea being that it forces you to be more productive... but I find that's just too depressing literally seeing your life get ticked away like a progress meter, I try not to think about how short it is and just live in the moment.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
OP needs Jesus. :p Seriously though, if life just ended, it would be very meaningless and depressive to even think about. Thankfully there is more to look forward to as long as you give your life to Christ. You don't need religion or anything, just believe Jesus died for your sins and accept him in your life.

Still it's easy to sometimes feel a bit depressed about how short it really is though. Once you hit 20 years old, you're basically at the half way point, since it just goes by faster and faster exponentially and that seems to be the point where the curve starts to ramp up. I still can't believe I'm in my 30's, I didn't even see my 20's it just went too fast. And it's only going to go faster.

I've seen a Ted talk about laying out your life on a grid and checking off each week/month (I forget), the idea being that it forces you to be more productive... but I find that's just too depressing literally seeing your life get ticked away like a progress meter, I try not to think about how short it is and just live in the moment.
That is Narcissistic. We didn't exist before Birth, we don't exist after Death. Make your Life count, it is the only one you have.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
If Jesus died for my sins, that means if I don't sin his death will be for nothing. Guess I better get busy!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Are you talking about Tim Urban's Ted Talk on procrastination? That was an awesome talk btw. At the end he talked about the life calendar. One box is one week of a 90 year life. There weren't that many. I don't think it's depressing to talk about the shortness of life. it just depends on how you view it. It can actually be quite empowering, because if you remind yourself that life is truly short you won't waste time on silly stuff like worrying what others think, obsessing over negative thoughts, etc. I remind myself that this isn't going to matter, so why worry about it. I'm a practicing Buddhist btw. Nothing serious. I like Buddhist teachings on impermanence and suffering. That everything changes, and how so many of us cling and are unable to let go. BTW, did you know that Jesus might have traveled to India to study under Buddhist monks and priest? The unknown years of Jesus. From age 12 to 29 some schlors think that Jesus traveled to India and studied under Buddhist monks. he then traveled back home and translated what he learned for a Western audience. What Jesus and the Buddha say when they were alive is very similiar. The Buddha was also born some 500 years before Jesus.

Is this the video.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
Yeah think it was the one. Yes the talk was great and definitely helps motivate you, but I guess seeing any visual on how life really is so short just makes it seem depressing. I find not dwelling on how little of life there is left and how fast it's depleting is best, and just live in the moment and try to make the best of it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY