Do You Give Money to the Homeless?

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
When I first moved to the "Big City" I gave my spare change to beggars from time-to-time. However, as the years went by and the same guys were there everyday in the station (showing up in time for rush hour) I got pissed and don't gave them squat.

I chose to donate $$$ to well-established charities. At least there are not buying crack with my money. I do have sympathy for people "less-fortunate" than myself but at the same time it feels wrong to enable people's potentially bad habits.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Funny... 2 African American ladys came to my house earlier today and asked for 10-15 dollars so they can go visit there Grandma in a small town nearby.... (They ran out of gas) My mom freaked out , haha, and called the police because we knew it was a BIG scam, and the police said they were looking for these 2 ladies.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I'm the same way. Used to give money, now never do. I've seen one too many con-artists trying to get money out of me and taking advantage of my good will. I pay a lot of money in taxes. Our social security system can cover their asses _much_ of the time. Although it does fail in some cases if a bum is asking me for money and could be working at Mcdonalds he isn't getting a nickel out of me. Some of them can make like $50-100 a day tax-free.

So yeah basically unless somebody is either obviously physically or mentally incapable of employment since social security only covers bare essentials I may give money. Street performers I'll pay. If you are running around and you could be doing that running behind a counter go do it; I am not paying! The best line is "Got change for a coffee?" As if coffee is a life-staple. Buy some goddamn milk with it!

BiB

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't live in a big city, but when I go to one (Toronto) I don't give them any. they have my sympathies but they need to get off their asses and do something about it, ya know?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I give to the Humane Society, St Jude's Children's Hospital, and a world hunger fund.

My conscience is clear (nearly!)

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
The only time in the last year I gave money to the homeless was the following situation:

Me and my 3 friends were walking on our way to get lunch. A man, who seemed to be in bad shape, walked up to us, apologized for interrupting our conversation, said he was very sorry and embarrased to ask, but could we help him get lunch (in NYC, this is translation for 'can you spare some cash'). His whole introduction took about a minute, maybe a little more, imho it was too lengthy and repetative (he apologized for disturbing us about 4 times). Anyway, 3 of us (me included) each gave him a buck, I wished him good luck, and we continued on our way.

I dunno if it was a scam or not, but he sounded more legit then the people on the subway who just walk from one side of the car to the other simply asking for some money.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
pretender

Sounds like a scam to me.

A few years back a guy came to me said "i'm not a bum but"...in the end i ended up giving him a few bucks for the bus - the exact amount he needed to get home. I drive towards home and five minutes later see him begging some more off somebody else.

A few months ago a guy at night gives me a tale how he is out of gas, late for work not a penny to his name. He almost got me - I actually went home thinking "perhaps I should have given him some money". A week later he tried the _exact same thing_ on me. Same exact detailed bulls*it story. I damn near clocked him. Its the last time I'll give money to somebody who says "I'm not a bum but...".

BiB

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
There is a muscle guy who stands outside a very popular convenience store and opens the door for everyone. This guy is in better shape than 95% of the general population. For opening the door he EXPECTS you to give him the change from your purchase.

I refuse. The friggin' guy is better fit than most and could get any number of jobs. Instead he is a lazy-ass hustler. He really pisses me off.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
When I was college, I gave money sometimes to beggars. Of course at that time, I wasn't working for the money I was giving. Now I don't. I prefer to give my time and money centrally. The best part about giving money centrally is that you can give to causes you really care about.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
no, i give money to some charitable organization that spends most of it for fund raising purposes, and the rest for facilities.

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Here in Austin its ridiculous, you hear about people raking in tons of cash by standing at some of the lights near the suburbs. Of course these people always seem very friendly, are reasonably dressed(clean t-shirts,jeans), often you see them lightly bantering and smiling with people they strike up conversations with. In short these people are complete hustlers pretending to be out of work.

Real homeless people are dis-orientated, seem somewhat out of reality, and usually arent all that pleaseant(smelling or looking). These are the people that need your money. Not some guy who has no pride, and who can make good money walking around with a little sign joking with you, and making you feel good.

I'm thinking about getting some really skanky clothes, not sleeping for like 3 days, and getting dirty and smelly and pretending to be really 'homeless', I just want to see how people deal with that. My guess is not well, yuppies like their homeless people articulate and smiley.

JohnGalt

Jun 17, 2000
When i was living in Cambridge, I was beset by myraids of beggers. I had come from a relatively small city and had never seen beggars on the street. At first I gave them some money but then I see them harassing people in the same place everyday. In fact if you live in Cambridge and close to Harvard Square you'll see who i'm talking about. I remember this one black guy who was very fit, worn new sneakers and clean clothes bothering people for change. It is annoying because they would forcefully strike up a conversation with you. Other guys hang out by the 7/11 places... man whenever I go for a midnight snack I'd see some. Oh yeah... Cambridge is the epitome of economic disparity... I have never seen so many rich people with so many poor people.