Do you get depressed when your football team loses?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's rather silly we get upset when "our" team loses, yet we do. Homo sapiens sapiens are silly animal.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I only notice it if my team is doing really well and then we lose, like this year. Even though there's less of them, the losses sting more

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
As a Dolphins fan, I've been conditioned to losing. My only reaction when we win is "hmm... look at that."

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I'm Canadian but have always been a Chicago Bears fan since the days of Jim McMahon and Doug Flutie. Last year they started 7-1 and I thought that they were going to make the playoffs with ease. They ended up going 2-7 the rest of the way and out of the playoffs! They ain't doin' shit this year, either. Very depressing.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't have a sports team of any kind. If I had the kind of money it took to buy one, I'd buy something more interesting. I have no stake at all in the games others play, and don't care.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I didn't even notice it was an old thread =/

Ah well, at least the topic is generic enough to where it's still valid

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
You're fat because you need to build more muscle and eat less. Get angry and rep it out in the weightroom, fuck getting sad.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I'm a huge football fan and a die hard Jets fan, but if they lose, I'm probably upset for about 5 minutes and then I'm over it.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego Chargers fan

used to get bummed out

now I expect them to lose, so my care meter is extremely low now

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
I can't understand why people care enough about sports where they actually get upset about it, and let it get to them. It's just as bad as women who care about and follow the lives of celebrities and random shows like "Real Housewives Of ..."

Who cares?

I hardly watch any Sports on TV, and very little television at all.

After the Buffalo Bills lost the 4th Super Bowl in a row I stopped caring.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Nobody here actually has a team, so the proper way to phrase the question is: Do you get depressed when complete strangers playing a game don't win against other complete strangers playing a game?

The answer is no.

BikeJunkie

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2013
Nope, not at all. I love college football and MLB, but I can't say I've ever understood some people's deep emotional ties to "their" team, especially when they have no affiliation with that team whatsoever, aside from just living in the same town.

My wife's brother-in-law is a textbook example. We all live in the Columbus suburbs. Last night was a tough loss (albeit a somewhat anticipated one if you're me). He's no doubt going to spend the day - maybe even the week - all pissed off and depressed. His kids are scared to watch games with him because he gets so angry. His wife (my wife's sister) used to try to get the kids out of the house during games. Not sure if she still does it. One time a year or two ago we asked if they could watch our kids during a game. "No, sorry... this just isn't a good place for them today" was her response.

Anyway, he never went to Ohio State, let alone graduated. He has ZERO ties to the university. Yet when we lose, it's like his world just caved in on him. It's pretty sad/pathetic to witness.

I'm passionate about the Buckeyes and the Cleveland Indians (maybe I'm just used to being let down :p ), but the minute the game is over, I'm on to something else and don't really think about it. I woke up this morning and went about my business not even thinking about the game last night until I saw a thread or two about it here. "Oh yeah, we lost... that sucks. Hey look, a deal on air filters!"

It's really difficult for me to respect someone who's happiness and emotions entirely hinge on the success of their favorite teams. Sounds awful, but it is what it is.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Go Bucks. (sigh)

Yes, yes I do.

They have patented heartbreak and soul-crushing.

So much build up, always collapsing on themselves in the end.

I'm used to being depressed this time of year. Hell, Freshman year at OSU, they were out to absolutely destroy my winter and spring - first they give me one hell of a Fall, closing it with one hell of a season-ender for UM when we were both undefeated. Then, they went and lost in the Championship. Oh, and spring or the end of winter? That's the Basketball team building up and dominating the tournament, and then crashing down during the final match.

They really didn't have a National Championship-worthy team this year. I of course wanted them to make it all the way, more fun when there is a bunch of naysayers and it causes controversy... but I would have expected the same conclusion to that game. Hell, I expected to win this game and then have this game's conclusion actually applied to the NC game. lol

Hopefully Urban only needs one more year to get a worthy team put together. They do have some rough seams around the edges, and need D to step it up some.