Do you game with headphones or speakers?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I decided to snag some of these ATH-M50's I see everyone praising in here, especially after reading more reviews of them elsewhere. But I found out that a new version with removable cords and more comfortable ear cushions is about to come out, so I just ordered these bad boys:

12rEvcP.png

Limited edition blue with brown leather.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Speakers. I've got an Onkyo 5.1 system hooked up to my computer, same one that's in my living room. I hate headphones.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
PC- Open air head phones with seperate mic

Console - 5.1 (well 3.1 right now because my rears aren't hooked up) surround sound.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
when i was single, the walls trembled by the sound of my speakers.
now that i'm married, headphones.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have the urge to grab a pair of AKG Q701's or some other pair of open cans. I need to chill the hell out and forget all about other headphones. The only headphones that exist on the planet are the ones on my desk. I got the only pair, there are no others, and you can't have them.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Hey... Potential STUPID newbie question here.
And considering I have built 10 rigs over the years and upgrade OFTEN (Latest upgrade was making by C drive a SSD drive) I feel like a Jack Rabbit for asking this.
Do all these 7.1 headphones need a sound card? I see that they are ALL USB connectors.
Cripes, I have not used a sound card in YEARS. The on board sound works fine with my 5.1 surround. Do I need to join "This Century" LOL?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Do all these 7.1 headphones need a sound card? I see that they are ALL USB connectors. Cripes, I have not used a sound card in YEARS. The on board sound works fine with my 5.1 surround. Do I need to join "This Century" LOL?

no these headphones do not all run usb. the ad 700 and sennheiser and akg and such run regular audio connections. the usb headphones have a soundcard in the headphones

Mar 11, 2004
Hey... Potential STUPID newbie question here.
And considering I have built 10 rigs over the years and upgrade OFTEN (Latest upgrade was making by C drive a SSD drive) I feel like a Jack Rabbit for asking this.
Do all these 7.1 headphones need a sound card? I see that they are ALL USB connectors.
Cripes, I have not used a sound card in YEARS. The on board sound works fine with my 5.1 surround. Do I need to join "This Century" LOL?

In the past there were surround headphones that had the same analog connectors as 5.1 speakers, but I think most now integrate the sound card/processhing chips in a separate unit so you wouldn't be using your sound card with them.

In my opinion you'd be better off buying a good pair of stereo headphones and just using them with your onboard or getting a cheap USB amp/DAC.

for those that were interested in the q701's and don't mind the lime green model, amazon warehouse has a bunch of used ones starting at $123

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...d=&seller=&sr=

That's a pretty great deal and those would make for some good gaming headphones.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
for those that were interested in the q701's and don't mind the lime green model, amazon warehouse has a bunch of used ones starting at $123

have purple ad 700 so lime green is not an issue. and green is my favorite color. still wondering if i would want used though.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Both a full 5.1 setup and a headset. Pretty much depends on whether I'm playing by myself(5.1) or online with others(headset).

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Long story: Used to be headphones only because I lived with my parents. Eventually got Sennheiser HD555s back in the day. Used those for over 5 years and then they fell apart. (my fault) But I had Logitech Z-5500 for a while too. Great combo those two were. I felt like king of the audio world. Sold the Z-5500s because I never got to use them (Was living with parents and others). Used the HD555s for a long time. Got super shitty dell speakers for $25 and stopped using my HD555s because they were broke. Got HD595s. Hugely disappointed and had been so spoiled by bass from even the shittiest of speakers that they felt like trash. Sold them and kept on with the garbage speakers... but eventually the garbage speakers were starting to feel like crap. (Maybe I broke them or my ears were broken)

Eventually I got a Focusrite 2i2 + Yamaha HS80Ms and topped it off with a Yamaha HS10W sub. If I ever get a nice microphone, I'm good to go. ;)

So, I only use speakers now. I am one of those guys with the mic and the speakers. Of course, they make everything sound terrible (in general, not just the mic)... Well, not true. Some very special songs sound fucking amazing, but everything else sounds like shit.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Depends on who's sitting with me in the room, and the noise the crazy motherfuckers in my house are making at the moment (I'm the only one conscious about how other people might find the noise I make annoying).

I have a 5.1 surround speaker system and a 5.1 Roccat Kave headset, and I use them both. But for gaming it's mostly the headset, unless it's a strategy game or an RPG or something. If it's an action game, like Skyrim or Counter Strike, headphones, no doubt.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I actually use both. I will use the headset for in game sound / chat and my PC speakers for music. I normally only have one ear covered, as they shut out too much sound.