Do you freak out about lightning?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I've loved lightning ever since I was a kid. But I hated the thunder. I never liked loud noises, and thunder sucked - it wasn't a gradual or constant loud noise, it was sudden. Sure there's lightning as a warning, but it's not consistent.
FLASHBOOM!

Or

Flash........ok.....it's fine, I guess it's really farBOOM!

I don't care for its potential to damage electronics though.

I don't care for storms that bring the risk of tornadoes either. A few years ago a tornado touched down within 30 miles of this house; I don't remember one ever coming that close. So much destructive power concentrated in such a small area. It's crazy to think that they're probably little more than tiny eddies, the mere result of turbulence. The dislike we assign is only due to their relative size and power.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bonkers325
only if its shooting out of someone's hands
When my dad was struck, a very thick stream of electricity flowed from his hand because he was pointing somewhere and it went to his friend who was just a few feet from him. :p

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I've loved lightning ever since I was a kid. But I hated the thunder. I never liked loud noises, and thunder sucked - it wasn't a gradual or constant loud noise, it was sudden. Sure there's lightning as a warning, but it's not consistent.
FLASHBOOM!

Or

Flash........ok.....it's fine, I guess it's really farBOOM!

I don't care for its potential to damage electronics though.

I don't care for storms that bring the risk of tornadoes either. A few years ago a tornado touched down within 30 miles of this house; I don't remember one ever coming that close. So much destructive power concentrated in such a small area. It's crazy to think that they're probably little more than tiny eddies, the mere result of turbulence. The dislike we assign is only due to their relative size and power.

as far as the noise.. i'm the opposite as I welcome the awesome sounds of exploding air. :)
I've always been a firebug and pyromaniac, so the thunderous booms are fun. I also enjoy the sheer unpredictability of them, so I always get caught off guard if I'm not watching the storm, and I sit and laugh at myself for jumping because of thunder. lmao

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor
as far as the noise.. i'm the opposite as I welcome the awesome sounds of exploding air. :)
I've always been a firebug and pyromaniac, so the thunderous booms are fun. I also enjoy the sheer unpredictability of them, so I always get caught off guard if I'm not watching the storm, and I sit and laugh at myself for jumping because of thunder. lmao
I was so picky about fireworks, I only wanted ones that would flash - smoke bombs were just useless, and I hated the noisy ones. As a kid, I was scared of low-flying airplanes and helicopters, as they were too loud.
And I tend to like predictable, consistent things, orderly things.

Now as far as pyromania goes....:D
I loved playing with a magnifying lens. The biggest I ever had was an 8.5x11" Fresnel lens.

My fantasy project now: a few miles away lives an old guy who sold satellite dishes back when they were about 10' in diameter. The fun project would be to offer $20 or something around there for one of the old dishes that have been laying around his yard for several years now, and then either attack a bunch of small mirrors to it, or else figure out a way of coating it with a smooth, reflective surface. I'll just use 500W/m^2 as an estimate for available sunlight (maybe it's really hazy, or wintertime in a northern latitude). A 10ft dish would concentrate up to 3,648 watts into a small spot. Think of how hot a 30W soldering iron gets.:D

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
speaking of fireworks...

how about lighting fireworks in a thunderstorm...?

get all sorts of flashy stuff comin' from the sky.

speakin' of which, reminds me of fire in the sky.

am I scared of lightning, only when it threatens my life or other people's lives. it can be quite deadly.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
paranoia stems from past experiences (couldn't think of a way to say that less dorkily).

I get pretty excited when a storm hits... I wish more events happen more often actually.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: bonkers325
only if its shooting out of someone's hands
When my dad was struck, a very thick stream of electricity flowed from his hand because he was pointing somewhere and it went to his friend who was just a few feet from him. :p

COOL!

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Lightning? I can't remember the last time I saw lightning, probably three or four years ago.

To answer your question, no, it's never bothered me, but I get pretty excited whenever I do see it.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I love to get soaked in a good thunderstorm. It's so nice to come in and peel off the wet clothes and dry off in the warm confines of my house. :)