Do you freak out about lightning?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It seems like a lot of people are really scared by lightning. My girlfriend's family is so bad that they won't even get out of their car to come inside if a thunderstorm starts while they're out. How do you react to lightning?

Akhen

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2005
I am only afraid for my electronics :D
(although most is connected to a UPS or Surge)

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Thunder and Lightning are AWESOME... I love walking during a good lightning storm. My cat on the other hand fuckin' hates it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I go outside and watch it if it's a really good storm. Otherwise i just ignore it and hope my internet doesn't go out.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Not counting being out in the ocean surfing when a storm comes up, not really.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yes.

when i was 9 or so we had lightning hit a tree in the backyard, it split the tree in half. half was still standing and half fell on the house. in fact it hit the family room where i was playing video games. it crashed through and i got hurt.

so after that i get scare during lightning (if it is close).

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
I used to be absolutely terrified of storms. When I was about three, my mother, grandmother and I were stuck in my mom's little yellow VW Rabbit in a South Dakota tornado. The hail was so bad we couldn't go outside, the car was very badly damaged. Since then up until my early 20's, just the sound of thunder in the distance soured my stomach.

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
I love thunder and lightning. I find the sounds absolutely soothing, and the lightning amazing to watch.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I love the vibrations you can feel from it, and that's about it. As for being outside when there's lightning, I'm naturally a bit cautious now because my dad was struck 2 years ago, but even he doesn't mind being outside when there's lightning now.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Akhen

Same here. I'm not afraid of them. I just dont like the fact that some of my electronics can get fried due to a strike.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Akhen

even then those devices would be fried upon a direct hit (even if they were unplugged). Lightning is cool when its far away :)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
I love the vibrations you can feel from it, and that's about it. As for being outside when there's lightning, I'm naturally a bit cautious now because my dad was struck 2 years ago, but even he doesn't mind being outside when there's lightning now.

i'd be the same. it would take my own death to make me scared of lightning. ;) otherwise, i'd consider myself lucky and continue to enjoy the sheer beauty of nature and the power it can release. Like everything of nature though, its all about respect and knowledge. Playing golf or baseball with metal bats or something equally as idiotic during a thunderstorm is sheer dumbass'ness at its finest. But I'll never be afraid to be out in my yard or on the deck, enjoying a nice storm in the distance. I hate getting soaked, so if its right above me, I'll enjoy it from my enclosed porch. :)
only if lightning is actually hitting the neighborhood or just generally extremely close, will I ever get a little intimidated. Just because I know the possibilities and will then just fear for my electronics. lol

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Lightning's pretty cool, but it can be a bit too much... a few weeks ago a bolt struck maybe 20 feet from the window while I was at my PC, and the thunder was really loud... my keyboard didn't work for a day after that.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LoKe
I love everything about thunderstorms, except when they freak out my dog. =[

My dog heads for the basement or the bathroom when she can feel a storm coming. Most of the time we don't even know it's there yet.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Originally posted by: LoKe
I love everything about thunderstorms, except when they freak out my dog. =[

My dog heads for the basement or the bathroom when she can feel a storm coming. Most of the time we don't even know it's there yet.

my last dog did that. the new puppy currently shows no signs of fear of water or of thunder like our last dog. Hoping it stays this way, especially in regards to water. ;)

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I actually enjoy thunderstorms. Since my power lines are all underground and the power rarely ever goes out, I can sit inside my house and watch them comfortably.