Do you flip your eggs without a spatula?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hell yeah I can. It really impresses the friends. Trick is to use the side of the pan. I tilt the pan away from me and let the side of the pan start to flip the egg then ya gotta just pop the wrist back up and 9 time out of 10...ehhh more like 8 out of 10 it'll flip it perfect.

If you're just talking omelets then you're an amateur ;)

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Joeyman
hell yeah I can. It really impresses the friends. Trick is to use the side of the pan. I tilt the pan away from me and let the side of the pan start to flip the egg then ya gotta just pop the wrist back up and 9 time out of 10...ehhh more like 8 out of 10 it'll flip it perfect.

If you're just talking omelets then you're an amateur ;)

now we're talking!

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
shake to loosen, use a spatula to help, the actual flipping is done with hands and the pan.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this same skill makes making fried rice and stir fry a breeze. Just the occasional piece of vegatable on the stove top that can be easily popped into the cooks mouth. :D

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
would splat oil

though i coudl probably do it in a non-stick pan. too bad the eggs end up tougher for some reason.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I could, if I had an egg pan. Years ago I worked at a Denny's type of place, as a cook. We had to flip three eggs at a time...... took me a while to get the hang of that. It's a good thing eggs are cheap. :eek:

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MAME
I just toss 'em in the air to flip the eggs over. How many other people can do this?

My cast iron pan weighs 20lbs so it's a bit hard to toss the eggs in the air.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
can we get a video of this? i'm unsure exactly of what you're talking about

Yes, I will have my roommate record a flip tonight. But I need someone to host it. Someone please pm me about it! (I'm thinking it'll be about 500k)

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Here's video proof of my skills!

Flip 1
Flip 2

(very small files, thanks mil for hosting)

I did 3 flips, all perfect. One of the videos was way off center so here's the 2 good ones.

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002

Flip 1
Flip 2

I did 3 flips, all perfect. One of the videos was way off center so here's the 2 good ones.

dude thats weak. i like my yolk as a big sphere in the middle of my egg. yours it's all splattered and flattened

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i can flip them without the spatula.

took a long time to learn how to do it though. made a few messes heh

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy

Flip 1
Flip 2

dude thats weak. i like my yolk as a big sphere in the middle of my egg. yours it's all splattered and flattened

That nice. I like to bite in to my bagel and egg sandwiches without getting yolk all over the place. Forgive me if I don't conform to your sloppy ways.