Do you fellow K7 people feel behind?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I've got a couple of Intel systems, but I just perfer the price/performance ratio amd affords.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
People have got Athlon XP's to run at 3.6Ghz

Go to the link At VR-ZONE and check out these overclock's

Most are at 3Ghz some at higher speeds some at lower

Pentiums are not the only CPU's that can do high Clock speeds ....

i bet you the 3.6Ghz Athlon XP Barton core would blow a 4Ghz P4c 800 out of the water.

VisableAssassin

Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: videoclone

i bet you the 3.6Ghz Athlon XP Barton core would blow a 4Ghz P4c 800 out of the water.

most of them are on liquid nitrogen tho......they are not daily ran machines im willing to bet due to the cost involved int he constant refilling of the LN2

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgonMaybe it's a case of PWI :D I wonder if he'd be scandalized by my Radeon 7500... but it doesn't matter for what I do with that rig (which is called "work").
Do you have to use 4 letter words like work around me? Damn! I got the heebee Jeebees when I read that word :p ;)

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Left out? Hell no. AMD 0wnz the budget workstation market:

AthlonXP 2100+ OCed to 2200MHz and modded to MP - $90/pc (cheaper now)
ASUS A7M266-D - $99 Newegg refurb
2 512MB DDR PC2700 Apacer DIMMs running 2.0-2-2-4 - $90/pc (cheaper now)

Cost savings vs. comparable Xeon system - immesurable

In case anyone's wondering, my rig is 100% stable. I was an active producer for Team Anandtech Distributed Folding until last week, due to some construction going on in my house. Couldn't leave the comp on 24x7. :(

t4t3r

Oct 19, 2001
Well I researched for a few months and came to the conclusion that the Intel systems are faster, but only in the P4C variety and with a lot of expensive memory for more bnadwidth. Yeah, I could have built a P4C rig with everything I wanted except a good video card, which is why I went AMD. AMD saved me over $150 compared to the P4 setup I wanted, which was $150 toward a video card. I already know my 2500 will run at 2.2ghz, and I expect it to make it to 2.3-2.4 without breaking a sweat. At that point I'm only a few mhz behind the stock P4C I wanted, except if it's overclocked. For the stuff I do (lots of gaming, but not always at high-res/lots of options, homework, watching movies, and surfing) the AMD machine I just built is more than enough.

I built it last night, and had absolutely zero problems setting everything up. At this point I couldn't swing a few hundred dollars more for a P4C, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on them when I need to upgrade.

BDSM

Jun 6, 2001
Hey everyone!

Intel has the performance crown now.. Period!

However it comes at a price.

I live in Sweden and an abit IC7G is about 1800 sek ($225), p4c 2,4 Ghz is 1830 sek ($229) = 3630 sek ($454)
An abit NF7-S is 1048 sek ($131) and a t-bred b 2400+ is 739 sek ($92) = 1787 sek ($223)

These are budget upgrades cpu wise.
The intel system will be faster @ both default and @ oc.
BUT.. You pay twice as much for the intel parts.. Period.

It should also be noted that the p4 system won't really be that much faster and in some cases the 2400+ may even surpass the p4.

Is a 100% price premium worth the extra few percents in performance?.. It's up to each and everyone to decide.

For office use, web browsing, watching divx and simpler games (2d) even a 1800+ @default is more than sufficient today!

And that covers probably 50% or more of every pc sold.. So Ithink AMD could do pretty welle ven thoug they are indeed a little bit after on the performance side at the moment.

I can get an Asus A7N266-VM + T-bred 1700+, 256 megs of ddr,a 60 gb 180gxp deskstar drive, 52 x cdrom, logitech mouse and keyboard, chassis w/ 300w psu AND a 17" crt for 3818 sek ($478).

This makes for a complete, working PC that would suffice for most everyone, except for heavy applications and games.. But lets face it.. Most ppl don't do much more than check their email, play mp3's, watch divx and do office work.

The same money can't even get me a 3 ghz p4! You just can't beat AMD for value.

Building an office/surf/email/multimedia pc has NEVER been this cheap.

Anyway. I don't know why I am typing all this stuff in. I guess I have too much time on my hands :)

Also.. we have 25% sales tax here so that's why everything is much more expensive in the us btw.

iuvas

Jul 7, 2003

Heh, on that same site there's a P4 on the same cooling system (LN2) running over 5Ghz.

Given the same percentage overclock of an Intel vs. AMD CPU, at the same "rated" level, the P4 is going to win. A P4 3.2 overclocked 15% is going to own a XP 3200 overclocked 15%. Im sure there are people with 2500's overclocked that can beat a 2.4 or 2.6 at stock, grats.

Sure you pay more for Intel, you pay for what you get. I'll take HT, memory bandwidth, a higher performance proc, and a fast FSB, thanks. I'll also pay more, and Im fine with that.

Btw, every chip I ever had since I upgraded from my P1 has been AMD, the most recent upgrade it just made sense to switch back.

chsh1ca

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Am I happy with my K7? Damn straight, my entire system (Optimus in my rigs) was assembled for the cost of a P4 2.8GHz. Could be done for far less at this point in time.

Remember the end of life for the PIII? The Athlon XP is that end of life for this line of processors. It's hit around 2.4 GHz, and can't reliably scale past that, which I believe to be why AMD is focusing on the Athlon64. If the opteron is any indication of performance, the Athlon64 will smack around both the PIV and the XP. I just hope AMD stays conservative with the PR ratings, and doesn't develop some foolish catch-all formula again.

Either way, both processors have their good points. The price difference could buy you another processor, more ram, bigger HDD, faster VC, so if price matters, then AMD is your buy. If raw performance with no eye to cost is your aim, then the P4s are definitely your best choice. Overall, AMD is far superior when you combine price/performance numbers, but this varies according to the task. I think it's a safe generalization however.

PS: Your operating system has a LOT to do with what you are capable of doing in terms of numbers of tasks. I can encode MP3s, play DVDs/DivX videos, watch TV, surf the 'net, and IRC, all while running Seti@home in the background in linux, and it has no problems at all on my AXP2000+/512MB PC2700 DDR system.

vgur

Jul 31, 2003
Not really.
Everyone knows AMD Athlon XP Barton performs better than Pentium 4
High performance of AMD CPU achieved at lower bus frequencies.
The only problems is noisy CPU fan and a lot of heat.

Broken

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2000
Both companys make fast processors and both have their own ways of making them fast. I used to run Intel only then switched to Amd for the price/performance ratio and they were beating Intel handily. I still think they do. I can't remember where I saw it but there was an article that showed same processors head to head but with different revisions of benchmark software.. I.E. PCmark 2000, PcMark 2001,PCmark 2002, etc. I just used these as examples because I can't remember what the software was. Anyway they showed that starting with the earlier benchmarks and going on to newer ones that AMD pretty much beat intel until the newest version where intel pulled ahead implying that Intel had opimizations for the benchmarks. It might have even been different versions of Sisoft but I honestly can't remember. Also one big reason Intel is where they are right now is because of the same old strong-arm tactics they have been using for years, basically they are pulling a Microsoft. We all know it. We have all read articles about Vendors recounts about phonecalls from Intel reps asking if it was a wise decision for them to attend and AMD conferance or what not.

Finally, how many times has Intel had a recall on processors??? Pentium flaw, Itanium flaw, P4c flaw, etc. Now how many AMD recalls????

But that is just my opinion, and in it I think both processors are good and you can't really choose wrong either way. Hell, I think even Apples have their own uses, just not in my home.......

:)

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Benchmarks are a littly sketchy because of how popular they've become. As you see on these boards, people base their purchasing decisions mostly on benchmark results. If you want to do a real comparison, do some real world tests. Like encoding media files using the same software and the same settings for each system... and as much of the same hardware as you can.
I base some of my purchasing decisions on benchmarks as well... but my processor choice has always been about performance per dollar... and I get more performance per dollar with AMD processors. I don't care that a 2.4C may perform better than an XP2800 in some tests... I don't have $500 to spend on a processor, motherboard, and RAM.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: iuvas

Heh, on that same site there's a P4 on the same cooling system (LN2) running over 5Ghz.

hehe I was just going to say that but you saved me the trouble.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: vgur

The only problems is noisy CPU fan and a lot of heat.
Even that can be mitigated with a few dollars. My Alpha PAL 8045/Vantec Stealth 80mm are near silent and it keeps my Barton 2500+ @ 2.17GHz nice and cool (40C idle / 49C loaded).