Do you feel that Battlefield 2 is just a clone of Battlefield 1942 mod "DESERT COMBAT"

Vich

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2000
Seems exactly like it just better graphics and some more options.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
From what I've seen (haven't gotten a chance to DL the demo) it's a rip off of it... but it's not like you can make an entirely different combat situation out of the same war(s).

Taggart

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
I just DL'ed the BF2 demo and think it's a lot of fun. Never played any of the BF stuff until now. Is it worth it to DL the BF1942 demo even though I'm playing BF2?

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
I'll wait for the full version to really finalize my opinion, as there are three armies this time, but based on the demo, DC is better. ;)

Borealis316

Aug 8, 2004
Once you get inside the game it's great, the menu's, getting in and out of the game are a b!tch. Seems like it has memory leaks or something like that.

I've also had to reboot my computer a few times after exiting, I really hope the retail version is better then this.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I like DC better after playing BF2 for a couple of hours, but we'll see. It needs some serious polishing.

Mokmo418

Jul 13, 2004
I've played the BF2 demo for 4-5 hours since yesterday night
Quite nice, squads, commander (is there an interface?)
I've played desert combat for about 4 hours a few months ago, also tried BF:V
They're nice in their own way.
I'm eager to see the asian units
i'm ordering this week... if i can find a nice deal

Dec 27, 2001
DC was a joke....much more for C-S players than BF2 players. Chopper took more skill to fly than in BF1942, but the physics were dumbed down drastically to make it more comfortable for those with no ability to correctly gauge the arc and direction of a tank cannon when moving and firing at a moving target. In DC, you just put it in the cross hairs. I took out three tanks at the same time in the open desert on a BF1942 map once in an epic 5 minute battle....fwiw I was promptly dive bombed by a German plane a second after finishing off the third in a beautifully poetic conclusion.

That said, BF2 IS too much like DC for my taste, but I still like it better.