Do you feel obligated to send flowers on Val. Day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
I honestly enjoy doing it because I know it means a lot to my SO...

This is why I do it. I'd hate to think she wouldn't get flowers on such a special day (for women).

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: hjo3
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
We don't do flowers since we're both guys.
lol... as though that matters.
I don't know any guys that receive flowers unless they're in the hospital for something serious -- it's part of the social norm that they're something usually just given to girls, like purses and lipstick.

1) Since when do gays conform to social norms?
2) I've observed the opposite, at least as far as gay couples go.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I don't know any guys that receive flowers unless they're in the hospital for something serious -- it's part of the social norm that they're something usually just given to girls, like purses and lipstick.

I've heard some gay men, and not queens mind you, go on and on about receiving flowers from their lover.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater

I've heard some gay men, and not queens mind you, go on and on about receiving flowers from their lover.

I'm far from being a queen, and while I've never received flowers at the office before, or anything like that, I wouldn't be opposed to it. It'd definitely mean more if it was on an occasion other than Valentine's day. I know quite a few other gay couples that buy each other flowers just for the hell of it, whenever (and for what it's worth, none of them are queens).

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't usually do Valentines Day flowers because they jack the prices up. I like getting her flowers when she's not expecting it.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
K, I don't know why this is worth talking about, but to answer your contentions: I don't define myself by my sexuality. And I don't go out of my way to embrace feminine qualities, like displaying a fondness for flowers and jewelry. Personally, I think flowers are a waste of money. And nearly all the guys I've known have had similar sentiments.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
K, I don't know why this is worth talking about, but to answer your contentions: I don't define myself by my sexuality. And I don't go out of my way to embrace feminine qualities, like displaying a fondness for flowers and jewelry. Personally, I think flowers are a waste of money. And nearly all the guys I've known have had similar sentiments.

Gay fight!

Sorry I couldn't resist ;)

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
My spouse is screwed. :laugh: My birthday, our wedding anniversary, and Valentine's Day are all within an 8-day stretch.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
When we first got together, I convinced the b/f to celebrate Valentine's Day on the 15th.

Not only do we get everything half price, but we don't have to worry about reservations of crowds or stuff like that.

:)

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
When we first got together, I convinced the b/f to celebrate Valentine's Day on the 15th.
Whoa, that's brilliant!

kamikaze27

Jan 2, 2007
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

Not only do we get everything half price, but we don't have to worry about reservations of crowds or stuff like that.

:)

Yeah I also do that with my gf. Not just finacially, it takes away all the frustrations. We also travel off season.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

It's only worth talking about because of your extremely broad generalization. I don't go out of my way to embrace feminine qualities either, nor do I define myself by my sexuality.... but your initial comment was just stupid.