Do you feel obligated to send flowers on Val. Day?

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Just curious if anyone (primarily the guys) here is in a position where they feel they simply have to have flowers sent to their SO's workplace?

I honestly enjoy doing it because I know it means a lot to my SO but sometimes I feel like we do it because it's expected. Even though my SO honestly wouldn't care, I still feel like it's a letdown if she doesn't get flowers at work when several of her female coworkers will get them. I think that if she worked at home, I'd definitely be more apt to pick up a $30 arrangement at the grocery store and hand deliver them. But because she works with a bunch of people (lot of women), I cough up close to $100 each February to have an overpriced arrangement delivered.

I just have this mental image of the delivery guy walking in with an arrangement and all the women there getting excited and wondering if it's for them. I just don't want my SO to be the one who never gets them.

Damn commercial holidays! :|

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i don't feel obligated to do anything. my wife has already told me not to get her anything.

but i'm going to surprise her with the label maker she keeps talking about.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Hell no. My wife and I don't buy presents for each other on any day of the year.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I don't send flowers. Passed Valentine's day, I bought a bouquet of star gazers and tulips, arranged it on our living room table while my gf slept, with chocolates, a cuddly teddy, some ribbons I made myself, and a nice card. It was a good reaction. Then we went to dinner ;).

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ballmode
i don't have a valentine :(

I'll be your valentine. You can send me some chocolate if it makes you feel better.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Nope, it is a commercial holiday, but try telling your SO that. ;)

I figure if it makes the girl happy though, no harm no foul, but I would tell her that I didn't believe in Valentine's Day. If I want to do something romantic, I will, regardless of what day it is.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: DaShen
Nope, it is a commercial holiday, but try telling your SO that. ;)

I don't think girls would care that much if their friends weren't getting special stuff too. They have to keep up with everybody else even if they really don't care.

TUKIN18S

May 12, 2005
Nope, I don't, and I'm not. I already told the g/f that I wasn't and she agreed. yah for me not spending at least $50 on flowers next week.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Yes, I feel obligated and I do not know if I am going to do it this year.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
regardless of who the flowers are for, mother/wife/gf/friend/sister, i think it's just a nice gesture and it makes that person feel special. is it a waste of money? sure it is, but what isn't? why go out to dinner? why watch a movie in the theatres? why do anything if not to bring a little more happiness into what seems to be the daily routine of life?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
I cough up close to $100 each February to have an overpriced arrangement delivered.

If I dropped $100 on flowers, I'd be sleeping on the couch.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
My husband and I don't do the whole Valentines Day thing. I'd be way more thrilled to get flowers on a regular day than I would on Valentines Day - that way you know they're more than an obligation.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
We don't do flowers since we're both guys. Last year I got him a Hickory Farms basket and he took me out to dinner at a really nice Chinese place.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: hjo3
We don't do flowers since we're both guys.

lol... as though that matters. it's certainly just another commercialized holiday, but <shrug>. i don't think i'll get anything for him, and i doubt i'll get anything from him.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
not since year 2. me and the SO both agreed it was a total waste of money and a ridiculous commercialized day.
i'll probably get her some chocolate syrup ;) for me...

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: HotChic
My husband and I don't do the whole Valentines Day thing. I'd be way more thrilled to get flowers on a regular day than I would on Valentines Day - that way you know they're more than an obligation.

more than an obligation, but he did something wrong? just like kobe getting his wife a ridiculous ring? ;) i kid i kid

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
lol... as though that matters.
I don't know any guys that receive flowers unless they're in the hospital for something serious -- it's part of the social norm that they're something usually just given to girls, like purses and lipstick.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
lol... as though that matters.
I don't know any guys that receive flowers unless they're in the hospital for something serious -- it's part of the social norm that they're something usually just given to girls, like purses and lipstick.

Assuming society was indifferent, would you like to receive flowers?

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Hell no. My wife and I don't buy presents for each other on any day of the year.

Hey, me too!

I occasionally get her something, and she does me.

I appreciate the occasional 12-pack of something we haven't tried over normal gifts anyway.