do you feel like you have the mental capacity to learn anything you want?

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
just as the thread title states, do you feel like you could learn anything you tried to? or do you feel like there is a limit there somewhere? and some stuff would just be over your head no matter what?

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
There's obviously a limit but I think I could learn a lot of things if I needed to.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah I think so. Maybe not the first time, like it took me twice to get through calc 2, but eventually I'll get it.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
If you put time and effort into it, anybody can learn anything really. Obviously, one can't just jump levels ahead and learn PhD level material without also learning the stuff required beforehand, but I think given enough time then someone could learn all of it.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I think so. I've been able to learn anything I've wanted so far if I put my mind to it. There are certain things that come to me a lot easier than others (speaking academically: digital electronics and software), but I haven't been unable to learn something if I've wanted.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Probably not. My learning motivation these days is nearly zero, and without motivation there is no learning.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
anything? no, not even close.

but a lot of things. i tend to get highly proficient at jobs pretty quickly. my strengths are in working with my hands and in general logical thought processes. english and science were strengths in school. basically the right hemisphere of my brain was murdered by the left years ago.

so i tend to suck at making music, or making things that are pretty (rather than functional). stuff like that. i don't think i could 'learn' to paint; i can learn to play instruments, as music is kind of like a mix of mathematics and manual dexterity- and i kinda got that. i generally need something with keys, though; no strings and holy fuck i can't play a brass instrument at all.

artikk

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2004
I think have the capacity to learn it, just not enough time or sometimes interest/motivation to accomplish it.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Nope, absolutely not. I took Spanish classes for four years, and still can't speak it well enough to tell someone to go get bent. I just can't learn any language other than English. I also am not "creative" - I hate poetry, painting, and other abstract bullshit. Music is a huge exception; I love some types of music, and greatly enjoy singing.

Oh, and anything requiring physical activity/coordination. No. Not at all. Period.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Nope. There are some things I just suck at. I'm sure I can get better at them, but better is not necessarily good.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Absolutely not. I run into problems during the course of my research all the time that are simply beyond my capabilities. Knowing what you can do is a skill itself; wasting time on exercises in futility is never wise.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Anything...? Probably not.

Anything we humans can learn? Yeah. It's just a matter of wanting it.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Yes. Because I have NZT.

Muwh6.jpg

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Yes. It took me till I was about 40 to realize it. It'd be intimidated by a task or job. Next thing you knew I had mastered it and was bored with it.