Do you feel cheated when you pay to see a movie and it's less than 90 minutes long?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I won't go to the theater to see a movie if it's less than 90 minutes. Makes me feel like i'm being cheated i guess.

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately (since i'm unemployed and can go during the day on weekdays) and wanted to see Shoot'em Up for the crazy shooting action. It's 80 minutes. WTF? I'm not even going to pay matinee prices for a movie that is 80 minutes...

*shrug*

Carry on.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I feel cheated going to the theater *at all* - going with friends is all that makes it fun, the video isn't that great, and the sound is just horrid, no bass at all.

The length doesn't bother me though.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i rate this topic, five balls of plasma

i don't care how long the movie is, it is either :thumbsdown: or :thumbsup:

i voted "don't see movies in theatre" because i only see a few per year and mostly at the second run $2 theatre

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i rate this topic, five balls of plasma

i don't care how long the movie is, it is either :thumbsdown: or :thumbsup:

i voted "don't see movies in theatre" because i only see a few per year and mostly at the second run $2 theatre

I wish there was a cheap theater near me. I'd do that too. But, i guess i'll just go see 3:10 to Yuma on Friday afternoon and call it good.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
It has been a few years since I've been to a movie theater. But when I did go, I used to hate when the movie was less than 90min.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
82 minutes of entertainment is better than 2 hours of crap.

That's true i guess. I dunno. I think movies are overpriced as it is..and i guess it's just i feel i need to get my money's worth. I've rarely seen a movie less than 90 minutes that wasn't pretty worthless.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I voted yes, but it's not accurate. It's yes unless the movie is animated, in which case I feel that it is acceptable, or in some rare exceptions, such as when pacing of the movie makes the length appropriate or there is a sudden surprise ending. So, generally yes.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I feel cheated when the stupid giant-ego director and editor didn't do their jobs so the dang movie is over two hours long because of all the boring useless footage they left in. Give me a 75 minute any day over a 180 minute one.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I always feel cheated when I go to the cinema. Like it's for people with more money than brains.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I feel cheated watching movies at the theatre

but more importantly

I definitely feel cheated when I pay to watch a shitty movie that is well over 120 minutes long

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
I won't go to the theater to see a movie if it's less than 90 minutes. Makes me feel like i'm being cheated i guess.

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately (since i'm unemployed and can go during the day on weekdays) and wanted to see Shoot'em Up for the crazy shooting action. It's 80 minutes. WTF? I'm not even going to pay matinee prices for a movie that is 80 minutes...

*shrug*

Carry on.

pay?

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: magomago
I feel cheated watching movies at the theatre

but more importantly

I definitely feel cheated when I pay to watch a shitty movie that is well over 120 minutes long

Exactly. The theater here sucks since it is such a small town. It's actually cheaper for me to buy a movie when it comes out and watch it at home. Better sound and picture, and I don't need to bother with other people.

Nymphaea

Sep 9, 2007
depends on what movie is it~ also depend on who you are going with to see the moive ;) generally i'd rather watch it through other sources...

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I see a movie in the theaters about once every 6 months or so. I don't pay attention to how long the movie is.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I tend to enjoy the longer movies (Like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Braveheart, The Godfather, Schindlers List, Seven Samurai (the 200+ minute version), Apocalypse now Redux, etc ...)
If it's a good movie, then I really enjoy when they last 2-3+ hours.

That said, some of my favorites are not very long. So I don't ONLY like long movies.
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie .... one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, but only 86 minutes makes me sad. I wish it would have been 3+ hours, then it would have been even greater.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail ... Amazing classic, just barely over 90 minutes.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Movie length is completely unrelated to movie quality. I'm not sure why anyone would make that connection. In fact, a lot of movies are about a half hour too long these days.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'd rather see 80 minutes of quality than 80 minutes of quality and 30 minutes of filler. Waste of time.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Movie length is completely unrelated to movie quality. I'm not sure why anyone would make that connection. In fact, a lot of movies are about a half hour too long these days.

I never said anything about quality. Time and time alone. I feel i'm paying for the period of enjoyment...and if it's less than 90 minutes, i just don't feel i'm getting what i paid for (based on the prices of going to the theater today).

After all i've heard, i'm going to go see Shoot'em Up now.