Do you face your PSU up or down, fan on or off?

PSU facing up or down?

• Down (air taken from outside of the case).

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Up (air taken from inside the case).

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • PSU fan turns off when not needed.

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • PSU fan stays on regardless of load/temp.

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Even though most mid-range and high-end PSUs have a feature that turns the fan off until the PSU reaches a certain temperature, or load level. However, I cannot bring myself to let my fan not run as cooler temperatures for the PSU generally mean longer life (based on manufacturer MTBF specifications).

Also, I get way better temps in my case by having my PSU face upward. I know the air is warmer than if it were taking the air in from outside, but my case never exceeds 40c with my fans anyways.

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Personally will give every chance to each component to cool itself at its fullest so I prefer psu's fan window facing down.

edit: I didn't know that this is a poll. I blame TapaTalk for that.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Facing up. My power supply is mounted on the bottom of all my cases. Being overpowered the fan occasionally comes on. Being Seasonic they are incredibly quiet even when they do.

Rancor

Sep 8, 2010
Bottom mounted PSU orientated fan facing UP. I have placed a magnetic fan filter on top. The filter gets surprisingly dusty.

My reasoning: PSU will get suffocated by the carpet when fan facing DOWN. Cases have low feet and the bottom of the case tends to sink into carpet.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
What about PSUs inside of a PSU shroud? I'm thinking fan down might be better.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Facing down. While I would appreciate the heat being removed by the PSU from the case, I prefer having the PSU - being the most critical component of the entire case - having isolated and cooler air. The only instance I can justify having a PSU facing up would be when you're sitting the case on carpet and the air intake CFM is poor (no one is intentionally doing that, I hope).

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I have it face down, on hybrid/silent mode to turn the fan off. I have my case standing on a hard, flat surface to ensure there is a reasonable amount of clearance to draw in cold air from the bottom.

All the recommendations I have seen from PSU manufacturers, however, are the opposite. If a PSU has a silent/hybrid mode, they recommend to place the PSU face up so while the fan is off, heat is allowed to rise out through the fan opening. The idea is obviously that if your PSU is face down and the fan is off, heat has nowhere to go so it stays in the unit, causing it to run hot and potentially shortening the lifespan of components inside.

If you must mount it face down, they recommend against using the hybrid/silent mode.

That being said, I dgaf because it's a Prime Titanium unit with the 12 year warranty - if it fails after that warranty is up, I was due for a new unit anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Depends on the case. Most cases it goes up, but I've seen some oddball cases where it goes at the bottom, and it draws air from outside/bottom. I don't particularly like that since it's going to suck up dust from the floor etc.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
this totally depends on the floor and case.

Do you have carpet?
IF yes... then it always faces up even if i have vents for it to face down.

Do you have pets?
Again if yes, i always face up because it will become a perfect vacuum facing down to pickup all that pet fur.

Also sometimes facing it up will help the people who live by negative pressure...(excuse me while i cough a bit) is possible inside the case, and will help with complex wind tunnel ideas they think will happen but wont. ;T

So i guess its totally up to situation.

Riok

Dec 14, 2017
If you must mount it face down, they recommend against using the hybrid/silent mode.
Interresting ! I will consider having my corsair rm 550x facing up.
It's facing down at the moment and with an i3/1060 the PSU case is at 38°c at idle and 44°c in stress test.
Edit: The fan never turned on.

Last edited:

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Down since there is a filtered intake on the bottom of my case, fan always on since that is recommended by Seasonic for this mounting, plus I'd rather have the fan spinning a little bit all the time rather than coming on strong when it detects heat build up/higher power draw.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Mine faces down, drawing air from inside the case. I have a top mount PSU, I prefer it that way. That choice is not on the poll.

Fan runs at very low speed (can't hear it), no option to turn off.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Mine faces down, drawing air from inside the case. I have a top mount PSU, I prefer it that way. That choice is not on the poll.

Fan runs at very low speed (can't hear it), no option to turn off.

I know there are a few people out there with PSUs on top (and some on the side like the new Dell designs). I guess for the poll purposes, all that really matters is if the air comes from inside the case or from the outside.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Facing up and fan stays on ... its an older Corsair 700 watt which does not support "Hybrid" mode.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
if it drives anyone that crazy, anyone can always just mod the case, drill new holes in where screws may need to fit and secure it with clamp-modding, either L shape bracket or whatever can secure the unit if the chassis needs to be picked up or moved, and/or mod the airflow where extra fans or force-flow ventilation. use good judgement and draw it out if you have to.

dust can be annoying, too, maybe try a custom fan grill