Do you ever reinforce the structure of furniture?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Most furniture I buy is in a box and I get to put it together. Even worse than me being not cut out for furniture assembly and it always taking me forever, I just hate to see how crappy the structural integrity of it is. Having a few small wood screws holding together a desk that weighs 100 pounds is just terrible. I am careful and nothing has fallen apart so far but I usually am paraniod about it falling apart as long as I have the furniture. I recently assembled my computer desk to see that it has only a few screws holding to together. Though this time, I think I am going to double that number so I won't worry about it for the next 10 years.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Next time you go to a furniture store check out how the expensive stuff is put together. You can decide whether bolts, cams, and pegs are better than wood glue and staples.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Your post just doesn't make sense.

People should buy the cheap DIY furniture to last a couple of years until they have the money to buy real furniture.

Then you buy real furniture that your grandchildren will pass on to their decendants.

Abide by those laws, and there will be no need for the ever-lasting crap furniture.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: dullard

People should buy the cheap DIY furniture to last a couple of years until they have the money to buy real furniture.

Then you buy real furniture that your grandchildren will pass on to their decendants.

Abide by those laws, and there will be no need for the ever-lasting crap furniture.

I'd rather build my own kthx. And buying furniture to pass on to your descendents is pretty weird. It's just freaking furniture.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
I'd rather build my own kthx. And buying furniture to pass on to your descendents is pretty weird. It's just freaking furniture.
You can build your own quality furniture if you like. And no, you don't have to pass on furniture to descendents - that isn't the point. The point is to buy furniture that is good looking, comfortable, and has a quality that will allow it to last for your life. If it lasts your life, then you could have people inherit it from you. Or you can have it burned when you die. That is your choice. But, I don't see why that choice matters in this thread

Instead of needing a new desk every 5 years for $200 each, buy one desk for $400 that will last a lifetime. It just makes financial sense to do that once you are out of the college years.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: dullard

I'd rather build my own kthx. And buying furniture to pass on to your descendents is pretty weird. It's just freaking family history.

:thumbsup: :) Why bother right?