Do you ever just wonder how you made it to the egg first?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I mean, there were tons of little spermies, but you were the best of the best. Either you were the smartest, faster, best with directions, or maybe a little of all of those things. You managed to get in before anyone else, and 9 months later you were born.

Too bad it was well before the development of our brains and we cannot remember the trip.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Food for thought: If one of the other spermies made it there first, would we still be us, just with different bodies/personalities, or would we not even exist at all right now?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm unclear as to exactly how it works, but couldn't any of the spermies have been me? I mean it's the same batch of sperm and the same eggs under the same conditions. Assuming the sperm isn't defective, shouldn't I turn out the same?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
I'm unclear as to exactly how it works, but couldn't any of the spermies have been me? I mean it's the same batch of sperm and the same eggs under the same conditions. Assuming the sperm isn't defective, shouldn't I turn out the same?

Would you?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeraden
Food for thought: If one of the other spermies made it there first, would we still be us, just with different bodies/personalities, or would we not even exist at all right now?

I don't know. But I do know that my brother and my sister were both an egg and sperm from my parents. I honestly don't know.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem

I don't know. But I do know that my brother and my sister were both an egg and sperm from my parents. I honestly don't know.

Different egg though.

Ha, I love how we just speculate here, when a 30 sec Google search would answer it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sounds like an argument between nature vs nurture.

Also, sperm determine gender as they contain X or Y, but the egg always contains X. This makes sense as a female is XX and chromosomes are one of the pairs... but if females are the same (i.e. XX), then it will always be X, but males being YX means that they can have sperm with a Y or X chromosome in the 23rd spot.

EDIT:

Ha, I love how we just speculate here, when a 30 sec Google search would answer it.

That's where I got all my fancy information from :eek:. I googled "gender chromosome" as I couldn't remember some of the specifics from 10th grade biology.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006

I like to think of it like there is a resevoir of unborn souls which are put into bodies, which give them their personality. So it would be "you" no matter what, but what "you" are might be different.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
So physically I would have remained the same no matter the sperm that reached the egg first? Same height, same everything? Or was timing a factor? If the sperm had reached the egg 1 second later, would it have changed me? Is it where I entered the egg that caused me to to be me? Why was I not a girl? What that something to do with exact timing?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Sounds like an argument between nature vs nurture.

Also, sperm determine gender as they contain X or Y, but the egg always contains X. This makes sense as a female is XX and chromosomes are one of the pairs... but if females are the same (i.e. XX), then it will always be X, but males being YX means that they can have sperm with a Y or X chromosome in the 23rd spot.

EDIT:

That's where I got all my fancy information from :eek:. I googled "gender chromosome" as I couldn't remember some of the specifics from 10th grade biology.

So all Y's would have been me? Or would another Y spermy have been a 6 foot 1 deep voiced piano player?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: amddude

I like to think of it like there is a resevoir of unborn souls which are put into bodies, which give them their personality. So it would be "you" no matter what, but what "you" are might be different.

Where is this reservoir?

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i assume that it was me that won a gladiatorial tournament against all the other tadpoles in the arena called the uterus.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001

Our bodies and personalities are what make us up. So, I would say no we wouldn't be us.

Mar 8, 2005

Would you?

Nope, all sperm are different. Gametes (egg and sperm) are created by meiosis, which introduces variation by the process of "crossing over."

Wikipedia:

Because the chromosomes of each parent undergo genetic recombination during meiosis, each gamete, and thus each zygote, will have a unique genetic blueprint encoded in its DNA. In other words, meiosis and sexual reproduction produce genetic variation.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So all Y's would have been me? Or would another Y spermy have been a 6 foot 1 deep voiced piano player?

Y just makes you a boy, it doesn't do anything else. The other chromosomes define other physical features. But there's more that defines you (or anyone else) that can be defined in mere genetics. This is where the nature vs nurture debate comes in... in other words, what made you... you... nature (genetics) or nurture (your subsequent life).

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I cannot comprehend not existing. So in that lack of comprehesion, and the understanding that I could very well have not been born, I wonder where I would be had I not been born. Would I exist in some form or fashion?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
So what you are saying is there are around 400 million little dudes in my nuts wondering when they'll get a chance to swim the fastest and beat all the other 11ty bn dudes to the egg and prove they are they uber badass spunk?

I don't think we should be putting personalities onto the contents of our ball bag.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: quasi

Would you?

Nope, all sperm are different. Gametes (egg and sperm) are created by meiosis, which introduces variation by the process of "crossing over."

Wikipedia:

Because the chromosomes of each parent undergo genetic recombination during meiosis, each gamete, and thus each zygote, will have a unique genetic blueprint encoded in its DNA. In other words, meiosis and sexual reproduction produce genetic variation.

QFT same batch does not mean they're identical. :thumbsup:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
God gave extra special powers to just the right single sperm so that I could end up just the way He wanted me :p

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I figure it was blind luck...if I was the strongest, I'd hate to see what else my pops had in there.