Do you ever admit not knowing something/being wrong in conversation?

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
At my work there are guys who will never admit they are wrong or they dont know. Things like who won the supebowl in a certain year, or just current events. Especially the war on iraq. I swear theese guys i work with think they know every last detail about iraq, how its to be fought, and what to do. Never once will you hear one of um say "hmm i dunno thats a tough one" or "hmm im not sure thats not my area" or " I didnt know that,explain it...". Whats even funnier is that this one guy will just agree and say "exactly" towards anything that he doesnt know about just so he can sound smart. Are any of you like this?

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
I have a friend like that. He really gets on my nerves sometimes because I am the kind of person that doesn't care about being wrong and will be the first to admit it, and feel like conversations and arguments work a lot better if people are like that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nah..never happens to me...I'm ALWAYS right...don't believe it, just ask me...:roll:

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. If me and a buddy are arguing over some certain fact, I always just pull up a Google search so we can settle it right there. Knowledge is good for everyone, and I'm not going to lose any pride over admitting I was incorrect.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: effowe
I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. If me and a buddy are arguing over some certain fact, I always just pull up a Google search so we can settle it right there. Knowledge is good for everyone, and I'm not going to lose any pride over admitting I was incorrect.

lol :cookie: for you

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong in a conversation.

Heck, when talking with my wife, I don't have to admit it either, as with her I'm always wrong! ;)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Yep. Or, if Google isn't available, I will remain quiet or ask questions. I'll drop out of the conversation if my BS detector goes off, but I cannot prove they are wrong.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I don't talk to co-workers cause they're all stupider than me and don't know sh*t. As for admitting to being wrong.....Sure, I'll admit it, but not to my wife. :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Nobody believes me when I admit I'm wrong or don't know. They expect me to be 100% right 100% of the time. I can only deliver 100% right 99% of the time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Nope, because I carefully word my sentences to have a big of vagueness or litter it with words that deem a scope instead of a definite position. That way, if someone says I'm off, I can just be like, "well I didn't say it was exactly that..." :p

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: platinumike
At my work there are guys who will never admit they are wrong or they dont know. Things like who won the supebowl in a certain year, or just current events. Especially the war on iraq. I swear theese guys i work with think they know every last detail about iraq, how its to be fought, and what to do. Never once will you hear one of um say "hmm i dunno thats a tough one" or "hmm im not sure thats not my area" or " I didnt know that,explain it...". Whats even funnier is that this one guy will just agree and say "exactly" towards anything that he doesnt know about just so he can sound smart. Are any of you like this?
it's called having a big ego.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused

Yep. Or, if Google isn't available, I will remain quiet or ask questions. I'll drop out of the conversation if my BS detector goes off, but I cannot prove they are wrong.
Same. Really pisses me off when people talk like they're an expert on a subject they actually have no clue about.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Everyone knows someone like that. I have one friend who is the worst. he makes up stuff and then tries to convince you its true. I have another friend who is a really smart guy but very stubborn. He has good reasoning skills but will assume things sometimes that are wrong. Basically he will not back down even when I know for a fact he is wrong...dead wrong.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaido

lol :cookie: for you

:sun:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
People who THINK they know everything are a real PITA to those of us who actually do...;)

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
People who THINK they know everything are a real PITA to those of us who actually do...;)

You mean users?

"Can you fix this? It's probably the PCI card on the motherboard's CPU."

"Cool... then you don't need me. I'll be over there masturbating to the thought of you fixing this."

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
I'm never wrong but I have been mis-informed a time or two.

tomato, errr tomato... you sound like you cannot admin when you are wrong. always shift the blame on something else or have an excuse.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i do it all the the time. why try to pretend you know when you don't? it'll either make you look stupid or catch up to you later.

my boss cannot admit he's wrong or doesn't know and it drives me insane. He'll make up something just so he doesn't have to say he doesn't know.

for instance, one of the users was having an issue with his mouse. he obviously didn't know what caused it so my boss said it was due to his desktop wallpaper :confused:

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: randay
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
I'm never wrong but I have been mis-informed a time or two.

tomato, errr tomato... you sound like you cannot admin when you are wrong. always shift the blame on something else or have an excuse.

Easy there big boy it was a joke. If I was ever wrong I would admit it. I'll let u know if it happens. :D