Do you drink instant coffee? Sometimes?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't for decades, but overheard someone saying they like Trader Joe's', so bought a bottle. The bottle I got was pretty small, maybe 6oz, so am running low. I still stove-top brew most of the time.

So, do you have a favorite brand of IC?

I saw Taster's Choice at Costco. Maybe they have other brands, probably so, didn't stop to see. I'm wondering about getting something cheaper/bigger/as-good-or-better than Trader Joe's.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Fairly rarely.

I think the only time I usually drink it is when I'd call in to work to take PTO (unplanned) and would want just a couple cups and didn't want to make a pot of coffee.

So I keep a container of instant on hand. It's not as good as normal coffee (Black Rifle Coffee ftw) but meh, it's ok.

Otherwise the only time I have coffee at home is on the weekends and I'll set the timer on the pot to go off as I'm getting up Saturday, and I'll have coffee on Saturday and then mic it Sunday.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sometimes. Usually when I only want one cup(rare!) and am feeling lazy. There's some pretty credible instants, but they cost way too much. The regulars are all about the same. I typically get Nescafe. It might be a smidge better than some, but nothing to write home about.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sometimes. Usually when I only want one cup(rare!) and am feeling lazy. There's some pretty credible instants, but they cost way too much. The regulars are all about the same. I typically get Nescafe. It might be a smidge better than some, but nothing to write home about.
Thing is, it takes me around 10 minutes to prepare my stove top coffee, which is around 14 ounces, I guess. Instant I can work up in <3min.

As kid, before I split the nest, I used to make instant... period.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's been a very long time. In the early 2000s I would sometimes mix some into espresso if I was making a specific flavor of cappuccino. Now I haven't made cappuccino in 5+ years.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I drink instant coffee when I travel and stay in AirBnB. It's far easier to carry, and I only need hot water. I like Korean Maxim brand instant coffee. It comes in small stick pouches, and I pack couple in my backpack. It comes premixed with sugar and cream so the only thing I need to do is add hot water. 2 sticks in one cup works for me.

Something like this. There are couple different flavors.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Origin...M4AR7AMF75DB&refRID=7A54S8VQM4AR7AMF75DB&th=1

Reactions: skyking and Muse

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thing is, it takes me around 10 minutes to prepare my stove top coffee, which is around 14 ounces, I guess. Instant I can work up in <3min.

As kid, before I split the nest, I used to make instant... period.
Use your own coffee in a Keurig. As fast or faster than heating water for instant, and on a different planet of flavor and aroma.

Reactions: Number1

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If one is in that much of a hurry, just make cold brew coffee the night before, and it will be ready as soon as you're awake :)

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, all the time. I like Mount Hagen instant. You can get it at some Whole Foods stores or on Amazon or Vitacost.

Reactions: skyking

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Use your own coffee in a Keurig. As fast or faster than heating water for instant, and on a different planet of flavor and aroma.
Some people swear by Keurig, but I for one have found that I like coffee in a french press better than any other way! It seems that almost any brand of coffee taste good when made in a french press!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's not difficult to make by yourself either.
Exactly!! But if you are truly in a hurry...lolol.....
I have been known to make my own when I feel up to it! With old age I have grown lazy and much prefer things that are already prepared........lolol

Nov 17, 2019
Sometimes.

Has anybody (else) tried the coffee bags, similar to tea bags?

Folgers-Classic-Roast-Coffee-Singles-19-Count-Single-Servings-Pack-of-6-0-1.jpg

51CYXeX27vL.jpg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Some people swear by Keurig, but I for one have found that I like coffee in a french press better than any other way! It seems that almost any brand of coffee taste good when made in a french press!!
I do not like anything in a k-cup I have tried. Something tastes wrong about coffee that way, regardless of brand. We have the reusable filters that you put your own coffee in. It is the first gen commercial model. And French press is great, no argument there. You would also enjoy hobo coffee I think, if you have not already tried it. It is just a ceramic funnel deal that we have and you put a natural filter in it. Then you put in your coffee grounds, and pour hot water over them. It filters through into your coffee cup underneath.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Err no, I would drink Starbucks before I drink instant coffee.
Let's not get carried away. :p I have had spray dried in MREs that is better than SB coffee.