Do you dare enter this thread? 6 foot tapeworm. With video and pix!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

Doctors remove 6-foot tapeworm through man's mouth

170127153841-6-foot-tapeworm-india-study-exlarge-169.jpg

Doctors in India were stunned to remove a tapeworm measuring more than 6 feet through a patient's mouth, according to a report published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Dr. Cyriac Phillips wrote in an email that the 48-year-old man underwent a colonoscopy in 2014 after complaints of "tolerable" abdominal pain that had gone on for two months and test results indicating low hemoglobin concentrations in his blood.

While performing the colonoscopy, Phillips discovered part of the worm.
"It was an undulating, moving piece of the worm, " he said, "This worm segment was confirmation that there was a tapeworm infestation in this patient."

After the initial discovery, doctors performed an endoscopy, a procedure using a camera inserted into the patient's stomach to view the intestines. During the procedure, Phillips and his team were able to see images of the lengthy parasite residing in the small intestine.

After sedating the man, a team of physicians at the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences Hospital in New Delhi was able to extract the worm by pulling it through his mouth with a pair of forceps.

When removed, the tapeworm measured 6.1 feet and was classified as a Taenia solium, otherwise known as a pork tapeworm.

Video:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1606747

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why did they remove it like that?
A dose of pills and he'd have shat it out wouldn't he?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Why did they remove it like that?
A dose of pills and he'd have shat it out wouldn't he?
This article suggests just removing the head and then giving meds and laxatives to crap out the rest.

http://scielo.isciii.es/pdf/diges/v108n6/nota2.pdf

If the head isn't killed/removed, then the tapeworm will grow back. They don't recommend removing the whole thing through the mouth though as it can cause other problems.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
can't you access the small intestine from the ass?
Barely. Just the tail end of the small bowel. The large intestine is about 5 feet long. The scopes they use are less than 4 feet long, but they can still usually get to the tail end of the small bowel by scrunching up the large bowel.

The head of the tapeworm would be near the other end of the small bowel, closer to the stomach. The small bowel is about 20 feet. So the head/scolex of the tapeworm is a lot closer to the patient's mouth.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Do you dare enter this thread?
I don't know if this counts, but I opened the thread, hit reply to the OP and, while averting my eyes enough to only catch the fact that there was a photo in the OP at all, at the edge of my peripheral field of view, deleted everything but your UID info for the quote tag, just so I could post: "Hell, no!":cool:

Normally I'd probably have at least checked out what I assume is the first frame of the video, but as it happens I'm eating a late dinner as I type this, so there was pretty much a snowflake's chance in the nethermost region of Hell that I was going to do even that right now…:p

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Nasty.

I've seen some horrible parasite clips though, I don't think this one made me recoil as much as say, the mango worm stuff.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't think this one made me recoil as much as say, the mango worm stuff.
things were seen and sewn into my memory.

I'm not even gonna search for videos, the first google images result was enough to not want to see it.