Do you believe there's currently a largely human induced climate crisis?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I live 1/2 mile from Oakland, CA. The record high temperature for Jan. 18 was set in 2014 at 67F. Today's high temperature was 83F. :oops: Broke the record by 16 degrees!

We have high wind advisory in effect, the peak winds are expected at midnight. Humidity is about 10%, winds as high as 90 MPH are expected and the fire departments are preparing for wildfire conditions. WTF, this is middle January. Unprecedented.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
There is a difference between "weather" and "climate". Trump has used the "weather" argument when snow storms hit Washington. Don't go down the same rabbit hole.

However, scientists have proven that the "climate" is changing, and the average temperature on the planet is rising. Also the measured increase in CO2 levels coincides with the CO2 levels during warmer periods for the planet.

As a kid I remember going with my parents on a picnic on New Years Day because it hit 80 degrees. I've also remember a foot of snow or better on New Years Day. But that's just weather.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I would blame the polar vortex. There is more to it than that but it’s what’s causing the extreme weather this winter.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sea level is rising, with all that comes with that. We must really hate our children.

edit: iphone autocorrect can sux sum nuts

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"Do you believe in Global Warming?"
Well, it's sort of like asking...
Do you believe in 1+1? Or...
Can you read a simple graph?

I certainly hope, at this point, everyone's answer is a CLEAR yes!

https://woodfortrees.org
trend

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Global Warming, AKA Climate Change? Sure I do...and, yes, I believe that humanity has contributed to it. I DO NOT believe we are the sole cause...but we're probably exacerbating the hell out of it.

Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
The giant mistake in all this is looking at today. Earth is a living, breathing, evolving organism. The climate has been changing over the entire billions and billions of years since the goo began to coalesce.

One simple example is to look at how the Great Lakes were formed.

Charts and graphs are eye candy that use measurements recorded by people or core samples evaluated by people. People are not as important as some think we are.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Yes, I do believe in Global Warming.

I believe the heating atmosphere has produced more powerful storms, deadly droughts, ruinous crop damage and early deaths among those who cannot deal with worsening heat waves

Water Futures are now being traded as commodities.

The Pentagon has warned of wars being fought over scarce water supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Muse

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
https://woodfortrees.org
trend

The verticle scale there is what? Degrees? F, C, K?
Degrees, c.
The giant mistake in all this is looking at today. Earth is a living, breathing, evolving organism. The climate has been changing over the entire billions and billions of years since the goo began to coalesce.

Charts and graphs are eye candy that use measurements recorded by people or core samples evaluated by people. People are not as important as some think we are.
Statistics don't lie. The earth's temperature is increasing faster than any point in our planets' history since complex life existed on it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Of course I believe in climate change heavily exacerbated by fossil fuels and (yes, honestly) cows.

It's gravity I'm skeptical about, which is an obvious liberal plot to constrain my fweedom to fly (off the handle.)
7G3zITG.png

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Of course I believe in climate change heavily exacerbated by fossil fuels and (yes, honestly) cows.

It's gravity I'm skeptical about, which is an obvious liberal plot to constrain my fweedom to fly (off the handle.)
7G3zITG.png

Yep, it seems post industrial age life style is driving climate change in a bad way.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I believe in AGW being cause by human activity, there is too much evidence supporting it. However how we mitigate it and change it? a whole another debate as is how it will manifest itself in the future. How human culture responds to it and all the social upheaval it is likely to cause will probably make Trump riots look mundane.
If you start getting climate refugees it won't be a trickle and I think as a species we are too slow and conservative to make the necessary lifestyle changes.

Reactions: Lezunto

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I live 1/2 mile from Oakland, CA. The record high temperature for Jan. 18 was set in 2014 at 67F. Today's high temperature was 83F. :oops: Broke the record by 16 degrees!

We have high wind advisory in effect, the peak winds are expected at midnight. Humidity is about 10%, winds as high as 90 MPH are expected and the fire departments are preparing for wildfire conditions. WTF, this is middle January. Unprecedented.

As pointed out, that's weather.

More important, 2020 was tied as the hottest year on record with 2016, and the annual trend in climate is clearly warmer.

Even the denialist no longer try to argue that the climate isn't warming.

They just try to deny cause and effect.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba and Lezunto

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I don't believe in it; however it doesn't seem to give a shit what I believe, and continues to wreak havoc on the world's ecosystems.

Ouch, my feels!

11264757.jpg

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Can you clarify your position here? Are you saying because people are involved and they make mistakes it is impossible for us to understand what the climate is doing and why?

If so do you apply this line of reasoning to any other scientific topics that you feel we can fundamentally never know, or is it just the climate?

Global Warming, AKA Climate Change? Sure I do...and, yes, I believe that humanity has contributed to it. I DO NOT believe we are the sole cause...but we're probably exacerbating the hell out of it.

Could you specify what are your criteria for judging our involvement in climate change? Because depending on how you want to look at it I can credibly say we are responsible for a few percent increase in warming or greater than 100%.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Degrees, c.

Statistics don't lie. The earth's temperature is increasing faster than any point in our planets' history since complex life existed on it.
Only in the last 4 years or so I've seen the winters moderating amazingly here in the SF Bay Area. Used to be it started warming in March. A couple of very recent years this advanced by about a month to February. We're in mid-January now and the weather is summer like all of a sudden! This doesn't feel like an anomaly, the change continues to accelerate. The huge, catastrophic wildfires we've been having the last 3+ years are unprecedented. I honestly think the global warming crisis is our biggest problem. It's huge. It will overwhelm us and destroy us unless we can mount an effective response.
- - - -
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison

1 day until the current administration is jettisoned!

Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep, it seems post industrial age life style is driving climate change in a bad way.
My car has sat in my driveway untouched for 3 weeks. This year I am virtually certain to log more miles on my quad roller skates than my car. :colbert:

• Love
Reactions: ch33zw1z
Nov 17, 2019
Can you clarify your position here? Are you saying because people are involved and they make mistakes it is impossible for us to understand what the climate is doing and why?

I'm saying our records only go back a few hundred years, maybe a thousand or so at most. We have some interpretations of things like tree rings and ice samples from a few hundred thousand years. Neither of those time frames are more than a small blip on the Earth's time scale. We have no idea at all if the climate is changing faster now than it did a billion years ago.

I'm saying, what we know is relative to us; to our understanding of time.