Do you believe in possibility of life in other galaxies?

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
With over a hundred billion galaxies in the universe. It is hard for me to believe that there is not at least one other solar system with life. Especially, when some scientists claim that they have already found some exoplanets that can be like Earth

Reactions: Lezunto

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
It has actually be proven that life can live in space as satellites and other spacecraft need to be cleaned of fungus that grows on the outside. If fungus can grow in the vacuum of space, life can exist anywhere and everywhere and it is only a matter of time before we run into it.

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
Chances out of being a solar system like ours from hundred billion galaxies maybe low but definitely there can be a likely possibility. Maybe in the next 50 years or so we might discover some images which displays life on other galaxy's planets.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
I guess there is a possibility that some forms of life exist somewhere in other galaxies. Scientists often find planets that they claim are Earth-alike and can contain life. To make a long story short, if somewhere lives an intelligent form of life, we probably will get to know this one day if it`s not intelligent, it will take us much time to invent a spacecraft to travel to these Earth-alike planets.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
I think probably such space missions like James Webb Space Telescope the most expensive and the most advanced telescope by NASA or Ariel space telescope and, it has the same purpose as James Webb Space Telescope to search for planets found beyond our solar system, otherwise known as exoplanets or extrasolar planets. I guess such technology will give us a hint at where life can exist and open more exoplanets.
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/tag/uk-space-industry

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Yes, I think the probability of life in a form similar to our planet's is extremely small but NOT zero. Put that against the number of galaxies (and hence suns, and hence planets) in the universe, and "small" becomes definitely possible.

But here's another factor often ignored in the probabilities. We speak of this but omit to specify that finding this must happen when we people are at the right stage of technology to detect that life form's signs. This thought is prompted by a book I read many years ago (I think by Arthur C. Clark, but not sure) that hypothesized some supreme being's having created varied life forms and ecosystems throughout the universe, and then gathered samples of each into a central planet to observe their interactions. The big dilemma there was TIME - as in how to get the stages of development of those life forms to coincide in time so that they actually could communicate and interact. Consider that, over the space of a few billion years of development of this planet, the human life form has existed for a few tens of thousands of years, and the current state of technology which allows us to communicate with electromagnetic signals over large distances is only a little over 100 years old. So in our world, "sufficient technological development" covers a time period of less than one part per million of the time of the planet. Applying that thought to the probabilities over the entire universe reduces the "odds" of actual detection and contact greatly.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Possible ? Anything is possible.
But our chances of determining that question , one way or the other ? 0.

Life is ~ 4 billion yrs.old and the estimated diameter of the observable universe is ~ 92 billion light years.It is not possible for any thing further out than 4 billion light years to know our planet even exists.

Lets say something floating in spacetime 4 billion light years away looked up today and saw the earth. And waved hello . Who would be here to wave back ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I personally don't think there's any significant intelligent life as far as like aliens or anything, but at same time I'm opened minded to the idea that maybe there is. I do think it's a matter of time until we find some smaller life forms though like virus, bacteria, bugs etc or anything of that nature. And probably plant based life as well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There has to be life in other galaxies. Not that we would ever meet them.

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
I personally don't think there's any significant intelligent life as far as like aliens or anything, but at same time I'm opened minded to the idea that maybe there is. I do think it's a matter of time until we find some smaller life forms though like virus, bacteria, bugs etc or anything of that nature. And probably plant based life as well.
It can be any life form, not necessary to be humans or aliens.

Reactions: bearnard344

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
It can be any life form, not necessary to be humans or aliens.
Yeah, different forms of life can live somewhere in other galaxies. We can only presume if they are intelligent or not. Personally, I think that both intelligent forms of life can exist and not intelligent

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
Also, I'd like to say that some forms of life ( not intelligent ) can live on Mars. As far as you may know, the red planet has waster ( ice ), so I presume that in this scientists can find some forms of life or maybe traces or hints of some form of life that could exist on Mars.

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
Also, I'd like to say that some forms of life ( not intelligent ) can live on Mars. As far as you may know, the red planet has waster ( ice ), so I presume that in this scientists can find some forms of life or maybe traces or hints of some form of life that could exist on Mars.
I have a similar view as yours in this as well but i think that not intelligent life forms are out there on other galaxies in a high volume as compared to intelligent ones.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
I have a similar view as yours in this as well but i think that not intelligent life forms are out there on other galaxies in a high volume as compared to intelligent ones.
As we do no have any proof yet, we should take into consideration all possibilities. We can presume that intelligent form life can exist in another galaxy, however, it doesn`t have an opportunity to contact us or travel to Earth

Reactions: ptthomas

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, I do. Regardless of the origins philosophy adhered to, it seems far fetched that life on one planet out of billions is a one-off

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
My answer to OP question: yes.

This was a thread for ATOT; not 'Ask a Technical Professional' :rolleyes:
At least shit in the right place.

Reactions: Muse

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I think it is a certainty.

The real question is, would they consider us to also be an intelligent species?

There are days many of us here feel that a large portion of the human race shouldn't even qualify as an intelligent species.

I can only guess what they'd make of us (maybe use us for funny memes on their version of Funniest Alien Videos?).

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Maybe. The galaxy is large enough to support other life forms. Is there a biblical god out there in space who lives on a cloud. I doubt it. But aliens? Maybe. BTW, did you post in the correct forum? This is ask a professional. Thought that had to do with technology. Not big questions like how did we get here. Just saying.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I am convinced that we need to capture the planet Arakis, to obtain the Spice necessary for time-travel.

After four years of the Evil Duke Harkonen, it's too hard for me to wrap my brain around it. Statistically, I'd say some form fitting the definition of life is out there somewhere. There are only so many conditions of chemistry, temperature and other factors required for life to emerge. But whether "they" are some sort of insect with an exo-skeleton, some sort of blob that John Cusak encounters in the Space Station that got snagged in the void, or the Cardassian Empire or the World of the Vorlons -- all speculation.

Those Navy pilots saw "something" -- even so . . . . I'd almost take odds on the hope that some superior life-form exists. They could replace the Trumpers, who have been holding back mankind for centuries. "Vorlons --- will -- replace you! Vorlons . . . will . . . replace you!"

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Earthlings have scoured several solar systems now and found many planets hither and yon but none unfortunately with anywhere near the approximate temperature and soupy conditions for our carbon based life.
Where are they, these extraterristrials ? Nowhere ?

No one has ever made a gene turn on, that is, be "alive", become self reproducing and store and reproduce information . The actual spark of life among our primordial soup on Earth, of a few carbon based molecules, is unknown.

UFOs ? FINE, OK , Navy Pilots, OK,

BUT , just like your average extraterristrial, where are they ?

We got nothing to say until "they" say it first.

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I would not be surprised if they find microbial life all over our very own solar system. I would also not be surprised if life was found orbiting some of our nearest neighboring stars.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
Earthlings have scoured several solar systems now and found many planets hither and yon but none unfortunately with anywhere near the approximate temperature and soupy conditions for our carbon based life.
Where are they, these extraterristrials ? Nowhere ?

No one has ever made a gene turn on, that is, be "alive", become self reproducing and store and reproduce information . The actual spark of life among our primordial soup on Earth, of a few carbon based molecules, is unknown.

UFOs ? FINE, OK , Navy Pilots, OK,

BUT , just like your average extraterristrial, where are they ?

We got nothing to say until "they" say it first.
Scientists cannot give complete information about those exoplanets they found because they are too far. I guess that there is a chance that some of them can remind Earth and have some forms of life.

• Love
Reactions: Lezunto

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think it is a certainty.

The real question is, would they consider us to also be an intelligent species?

Or even worse, they consider us to be super-intelligent/godlike and we get to show them the douchebaggery that humanity is capable when we really put our minds to it.