Do you believe in Karma?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Do you believe in karma? I think thats the right term i'm looking for...

I always hear people say or read that "so-and-so will get what they deserve in the end" or something to that effect.

Do you really think thats true? If someone did something bad to you and you don't do anything back, do you just think that somehow they'll have something bad happen to them eventually because of this event?

it sounds like a load of BS to me. its like people who don't stand up for themselves are the people who say things like this.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
As a general rule, I've found that over a sufficiently long period of time the universe does tend to be pretty fair. I have no idea why, but I do tend to subscribe to, "what goes around comes around." Call it karma if you will.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Repost, and 'karma' is idiotic. So many people have gotten away with so much. Anyone who believes in 'karma' is simply buying into a comforting lie.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Not at all.

I consider myself to be a very "good" person and I tend to lead a very honest, respectful, considerate and caring life. However, I feel like bad #hit happens to me all the time and has since I was a kid. Yet I know people who are complete a-holes, crooks, liars, cheats, abusers, etc. who never have as much as a flat tire in life.

Karma is overrated IMO

Jun 4, 2005
Karma is utter crap. The only reason people still believe in it is because something bad always happens, but that's rarely a direct result of your original action.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
most people that think karma is a sham don't understand it. They take it as a point system or something where if you do A enough times then B will happen, which it is not how it works.. It is really a demonstration of the cosmic law of cause and effect. you reap what you sow = karma
There is nothing mystical about it. Its the law of the universe. Sorta of like everything with a beginning must have an end.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I believe the way karma really works:
If people IN GENERAL do go things for others, they are likely to have good things happen to them.
If people don't do good things for others, there is nobody there that will do good things for them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Generally, I think things shake out in the end for the most part, though there are certainly exceptions.

I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up for yourself if tested but it makes no sense to blow up at every asshole you encounter through life (there will be lots). I just smile at them and think how inadequate and empty they must feel to behave the way they do. I almost never verbalize this thought since it tends to escalate the situation. I take solace in the knowledge that all the bridges they burned by being a complete prick will someday come back to haunt them in a variety of ways.

The best revenge is living well.

I simply try to treat everyone I meet the way I would want to be treated: With respect, courtesy, discretion, and kindness.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: So
Repost, and 'karma' is idiotic. So many people have gotten away with so much. Anyone who believes in 'karma' is simply buying into a comforting lie.

Karma has nothing to do with the laws of man. They may have escaped the law but yo uhave no idea hwo they have suffered or been tormented in other ways you assume. Karma != courst system justice.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

Karma has nothing to do with the laws of man. They may have escaped the law but yo uhave no idea hwo they have suffered or been tormented in other ways you assume. Karma != courst system justice.

No, that's BS. It's just a comforting platitude created by someone who was wronged. There is no reason to believe it's a 'law of the universe'

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
i've compiled a list of names of people that i have done wrong to, and am trying to seek forgiveness from. Accompanied by my brother Randie, hopefully i will succeed.
(if you dont know what show that is from, shame on you. o ya...karma is BS)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
The general concept that doing good results in betterness, sure.

Specifically in karma though? No.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

No, that's BS. It's just a comforting platitude created by someone who was wronged. There is no reason to believe it's a 'law of the universe'

reaping what you sow is definitely a law of the universe. try it out sometime.

EDIT: you stated it not me that people got away with so much .....so yeah please tell me who these people are and how you know they got away with so much.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

reaping what you sow is definitely a law of the universe. try it out sometime.

EDIT: you stated it not me that people got away with so much .....so yeah please tell me who these people are and how you know they got away with so much.

How many CEO's have run companies into the ground and been rewarded for it? Dictators: Stalin. Murdered more people than Hitler, died at a ripe old age.
Criminals: How many unsolved murders are there?
there are millions of other examples.

There is no reason to believe karma is a univeral law. Of course if you are duplicitious and you associate with such people you are more likely, statistically to suffer the same. That's not 'karma', that's simple logic.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
repost
to
the
max
!!!

(and that's just the ones with an identical thread title)

more proof that the search engine on this site doesn't work
i searched for karma and i got abotu 4 hits and none of them were asking if you believed in karma

MysticLlama

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Sure, I believe in Karma.

I can be mean to people all day, and, according to Karma, figure they must deserve it. :D

batchusa

Aug 5, 2004
Sometimes you might not feel the full effect of your Karma in this life...but thats a different topic........ :)