Do you believe in Karma?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: xmellyx
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Let me ask you all this then in all seriousness and without flaming each other here. If you believe in Karma, or that there is "something" out there holding us together or repaying people for good or evil actions, how can many of you totally dismiss the idea of there being a God who created everything, including humans, and holds it together?

I think many people vehomently deny the existance of a Christian God, which is different than believing in some sort of organization to the chaos.

Karma isn't even a Christian notion...Christianity adopted more along the lines of The Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) as well as 'an eye for an eye'. This relates to more punishment--rewards for good deeds; consequences for bad.

I believe it is Hinduism that believes in Karma? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are right. I'm not saying that Karma is a Christian term or belief, in fact I would say that it has nothing to do with Christianity. I voted "no" on the poll but am a Christian and believe in a Creator God of the universe. However I don't believe in you are repayed here on earth for good things you do to others, nor are you punished. But as you said you do unto others as you would have them do unto you out of a respect and love for God and fellow humans, not to gain any sort of karma or good actions towards yourself.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Which brings to question why i do good things? I donate to charity and consider myself very giving and nice to everyone.

So about donating to charity - do I do it because it makes me feel good or because I'm helping others? Tough to answer really but the way I look at it is a "win/win" scenario. It makes me feel good and others benefit. :beer:

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I notice people who sit there and gossip about others when they should be worrying about their own problems. Yeah, that one's on the return trip right now.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Not in the spiritual sense but in the "what goes around comes around" sense. Do enough wrong to people in your life and it's just a matter of time till someone bites back and rubs your nose in the karma...

ItTheCow

Apr 7, 2002
Indirectly, yes. I believe in causality moreso karma. However, I feel that karma is a form of causality. If a person habitually participates in a certain activity, it will eventually lead to its proper consequence;whether it be good or bad.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Do you mean "Karma" or "What Comes Around, Goes Around"?

Karma is the belief that you will be punished in the next life. The other is the belief that you as you treat others in this life, so you invite yourself to be treated in this life in return.

karma can work in this life also, where as what comes around is just for this life. and yes i am strong believer in karma

Dogg

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
No, here's why:

Say I get pissed and punch some little girl in the face. It happens. I did a bad thing and have bad karma coming. So some dipwad comes along and keys my car. Now he has done a bad thing and has bad karma coming. On the other end the little girl whom I punched in the face must have done something wrong in order to deserve getting thumped. If she stole a cookie when mom wasn't watching, and someone had to come along and put her in her place, then why should it be held against that person when it happens? It was ordained to happen that I would punch her in the face, so I shouldn't get bad karma. If someone does something bad then everybody has to do something bad to finally pay everybody back and fulfill the law of karma. If that's the case then the universe hates us all.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
As an Athiest i have to say NO. Believing in karma is about as dumb as believing in a god since they both rely on believing in some fantasy crap, whether its a invisible man in the sky or a invisible 'good will' meter its all the same BS.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
ya i am hindu, i cant say i believe in it completely but i dont discount it completely either