Do you believe in Karma?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Do you mean "Karma" or "What Comes Around, Goes Around"?

Karma is the belief that you will be punished in the next life. The other is the belief that you as you treat others in this life, so you invite yourself to be treated in this life in return.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
Karma is just one of the many words I would use to describe that what goes around, comes around.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
absolutely.

I make it a point to do good things every single day. It can be as simple as stopping to let somebody pull out of a side street or not blocking an intersection, etc. It could be as simple as opening a door or smiling and saying have a good day.

Do good deeds.

http://billyblob.com/cartoons/karma-ghost/

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
So those of you who say yes believe there is some sort of cosmic force that will give you good things if you are good to other people but will punish you if you are mean to others?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think that someone who continually feeds off the misfortunes of others and generally surrounds themselves with a negative attitude will have things turn around on them 10 fold at some point.

But, to counter it, you a family of 4 who wouldn't hurt a fly get killed by a drunk driver and the drunk driver lives. :disgust: I guess you could call that anti karma.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
What about all the suffering we ignore in the world? Don't focus on the good you do, focus on the bad you do by not doing.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Staley8
So those of you who say yes believe there is some sort of cosmic force that will give you good things if you are good to other people but will punish you if you are mean to others?

I've come to realize that we are all connected in someway.

Case in point - when my mother was ill I had an overwhelming need to simply leave work to be with her. Something told me I must be there. She passed within a few hours. Something pulled me to her after her year long illness.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07

Case in point - when my mother was ill I had an overwhelming need to simply leave work to be with her. Something told me I must be there. She passed within a few hours. Something pulled me to her after her year long illness.

I honestly believe that there is some sort of organization to things. It's hard to explain...

Precognition
Ect

There's "something" going on...but I don't know what.

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Many members here probably do NOT believe in Karma, seeing as how they make up aliases, post under their new accounts and then cry when their deceit catches up to them (then post an insane amount of pics to somehow compensate for this)
rolleye.gif

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: stormbv
Karma is just one of the many words I would use to describe that what goes around, comes around.
Then yes, I do believe that what goes around, comes around.
And while I do believe in God, I don't believe that a cosmic force is required for that. It is a human thing.
A great way to describe this (to me) is in the ancient practice of vendetta. One man murders another, so the family of the murdered man must seek revenge and kill the murderer. But then the original murderer's family must seek revenge... and so on ad infinitum.
By doing wrong to people, you invite them to seek revenge and do wrong back to you.
And yes, it is also a wrong to simply not do right.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I honestly believe that there is some sort of organization to things. It's hard to explain...

Precognition
Ect

Let me ask you all this then in all seriousness and without flaming each other here. If you believe in Karma, or that there is "something" out there holding us together or repaying people for good or evil actions, how can many of you totally dismiss the idea of there being a God who created everything, including humans, and holds it together?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Let me ask you all this then in all seriousness and without flaming each other here. If you believe in Karma, or that there is "something" out there holding us together or repaying people for good or evil actions, how can many of you totally dismiss the idea of there being a God who created everything, including humans, and holds it together?

I think many people vehomently deny the existance of a Christian God, which is different than believing in some sort of organization to the chaos.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000

Precognition
Ect

I had dismissed that idea but embraced it after I saw my dad's semi try to run him over. That wasn't just a random ocurrence, it was a wake up call. I use God in the loosest sense of the word, because no word will ever exist to describe it.

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002

I think many people vehomently deny the existance of a Christian God, which is different than believing in some sort of organization to the chaos.

Karma isn't even a Christian notion...Christianity adopted more along the lines of The Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) as well as 'an eye for an eye'. This relates to more punishment--rewards for good deeds; consequences for bad.

I believe it is Hinduism that believes in Karma? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Not really. I do believe in supernatural and subnatural things, based on experience, even though I don't believe in any gods.
Believing in karma is foolish. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people.