Do you argue during your review?

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This is my first job where I've done annual reviews. Last year was my first review and I was totally cool with whatever they told me. I took everything they said as things to focus on. Between then I puddle jumped from Helpdesk to Jr. Network Support so again, after only 4 months in my new job (same boss) I didn't make a big deal out of them noting "needs improvement" in certian areas. It was a 45 minute interview, but they were still surprised that I didn't have any questions or wanted to comment in any of the areas. I was perfectly happy that they told me that I needed to improve on certain things and they were actually taken back that I wasn't willing to argue with them for a higher mark.

Am I supposed to argue with them and jockey for them to raise my review scores higher? They make it seem like everyone else does and my supervisor made some off topic comment about me being so OK with the outcome of my review.

The bottom line is, if I argue with them, would they really change my review to better scores or would I just be wasting my breath?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

If you argue too vehemently, you might be burning some bridges.

I quite one job because of a review. Within a year the manager who wrote the review was "reassigned."

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Absolutely you can make your case to push for a higher mark. It's your raise, don't settle.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Gibsons

If you argue too vehemently, you might be burning some bridges.

I quite one job because of a review. Within a year the manager who wrote the review was "reassigned."

Exactly. Would if I raise this huge stink about things, they don't change my review for the better, and now I've got a Sup and a Boss that think I'm an arrogant idiot. Bad news bears.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
all of my reviews have been good and the things they said i need work on i already knew about, so really nothing to argue.

i've been at my current company for a little over 3 years and never have had a review yet.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Then show them how much more responsibility you've taken on and how skills and experience helped you accomplish things or lift those around you. Explain you've learned many new things like that a pickle is actually a cucumber.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Absolutely you can make your case to push for a higher mark. It's your raise, don't settle.

in my company. arguing for a higher raise during review time wont make a difference. by that time, all money has already been allocated and manager couldnt give u a higher raise even if u get him/her to agree with you.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I give reviews yearly at a corporate office in IT...about 12 or so. People dont usually argue at all, our reviews are very detailed and people usually say ok or they agree and only sometimes they have questions. We had one guy that argued a lot but he was confrontational in other areas arguing w/ customers etc and he is long gone. I wouldnt worry about it but then again I dont know you roffice.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
all of my reviews have been good and the things they said i need work on i already knew about, so really nothing to argue.
Same here. Mine were good and have gotten progressively better. The couple things my manager said he'd like me to work on I agreed with 100%.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
At my current job, the review is turned into HR and processed before I ever see it, so arguing does nothing.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: misle
At my current job, the review is turned into HR and processed before I ever see it, so arguing does nothing.

I would think this would be the case with me. The reviews are already done, as in printed out and ready to go. It's not like they pencil mine in as we go along after we talk about it. And believe me, if I felt like I was getting the raw deal I would speak up about it. But again, I've been in this floating acclimation process during both of my reviews so I wouldn't expect amazing things right off the bat. Come next year though, if I'm still in the same position, I'm going to make sure my review is in my favor.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I write a self-review about a month ahead of time and give it to my boss. About 90% of it finds its way into my official review, so I never have any reason to dispute what it says.

If you've never done this, give it a try. You'll be amazed at how much better your reviews are.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
Yes I argue and I have quit because of a false review.

False as in they lied on your review? Or false as in they didn't give you as positive review as you would have hoped.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Where I work, in the year end review meeting the supervisor always finds some area for improvement.

I do not argue because what the supervisor says in the evaluation has been decided months before the actual year end review meeting. There is a space for employee comment, but I doubt anyone actually reads it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: JS80
Yes I argue and I have quit because of a false review.

False as in they lied on your review? Or false as in they didn't give you as positive review as you would have hoped.

Straight up lie. The guy had a chip on his shoulder. I'm glad he did it though...he made me exit public accounting and get a job where I made a lot more money and was promoted very quickly.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I haven't had to.

My review last year I got marked as exceeds expectations on every area, which they tell me practically never happens here, so I felt pretty good about that.

Only problem is that now there are probably higher expectations and to exceed them again is just going to be harder and harder.

VICIOUS CIRCLE!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I get reviews twice a year and have only had to argue once - politely of course. He marked me as 'average' in one area and I presented several cases where I had gone above and beyond what the other employees had done. We decided that 'above average' was more appropriate. This year should be interesting due to the management shake up

If you don't agree with what they said, present your case!

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Exterous
I get reviews twice a year and have only had to argue once - politely of course. He marked me as 'average' in one area and I presented several cases where I had gone above and beyond what the other employees had done. We decided that 'above average' was more appropriate. This year should be interesting due to the management shake up

If you don't agree with what they said, present your case!

Yup...just don't argue like an asshole and you'll be fine. If you can present examples and such in a rational way - you're likely to get things turned around. If they fire back with their own examples of why they marked you how you did, and you can't defend yourself for those situations, then you're probably stuck. If you get disrespectful, that would not be good. If you don't agree, well sometimes that's just the way it is.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Don't think it matters. I knew a guy who used to argue every review he got. The only time it actually worked is when he actually left and said he was quitting. That is a really risky maneuver and it also puts you on the rocks for the rest of your time there. On the other hand, not arguing may surprise your management, but I doubt they are really concerned over it, if anything it makes their jobs easier. The only exception I can think of is if they are blatantly making up bullshit about you in your review and you simply aren't calling them on it. They might start thinking you are crazy.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I argue if I feel something was given to me unfairly, and even if I think it's fair, I will follow up w/ questions just so we're both perfectly clear what needs to be done to improve in that area. I get 3 reviews a month however and they directly effect my pay, so I dont just let things slide or say I'm ok w/ things unless I 100% understand.

*edit*
And I should add, there have been instances where I argued my point and either gotten the mark removed, or had my supervisor consult his manager, and then had it removed. I wouldnt argue just for arguings sake