Do you allow yourself to entertain potentially "bad" thoughts?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I.e. do you suppress/chastise/punish certain types of thoughts, regardless of whether or not you feel an urge to act on them? If so, what kinds of thoughts are they, and how do you go about abstaining from them?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Of course not.

All my thoughts are pure and holy.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
FWIW I'm more interested in the how than the what, so if you have a violent pedobestiality walrus fetish, you only need to tell me that you grab for your convenient pocket Bible when such disgusting thoughts enter your mind.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
this is a very odd question.

as someone with depression and what appears to be adult ADHD, I allow my mind to think whatever it wants for about an hour each day. I have found this to be very therapeutic and allows me to concentrate on getting things done.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
Yes. Is there a person on earth who can't stand in line at a bank without thinking up the best way to rob it?

Not like I would actually act on the thoughts.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Any thought is fair game, and I'll contemplate anything as long as I choose to do so, or until something more pressing presents itself.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I usually have a terrible time getting back to sleep after the 3am bathroom run. If I try to sleep, my brain kicks out some pretty morbid stuff. Reading a boring book works very well, keeps my mind busy enough to relax, but not too busy.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I have certain things that I seem to repeat in my mind whenever thoughts that I don't want enter it. These thoughts have to have a certain level of absurdity in order to jar me out of whatever unpleasant thing I was thinking about.

Sometimes I'll be remembering something unpleasant or embarrassing, and to end the thought I'll suddenly interject "I'll kill them all...destroy everything", into the thought. The absurdity of it always lets me know that it's time to think about something else. Another favorite unpleasant thought breaker is "aww he's so cute, so whittle bitty, aww". Obviously that last one is so absurd that I only have to use it in emergencies.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
i think about what i want to think about... nothing just "pops" in to my head.... i'd see a shrink if you really have no control over what comes to your mind...

i guess maybe i just dont have time to sit and wonder... i think about politics alot, and the state of our existence, and what the future will be like..what the past was like.. but no morbid thoughts, well i guess i entertained the idea of the worship of death as opposed to life for a while, because when my leg was healing... it looked like death...but now, it's healed, and that abyss is gone..

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I.e. do you suppress/chastise/punish certain types of thoughts, regardless of whether or not you feel an urge to act on them? If so, what kinds of thoughts are they, and how do you go about abstaining from them?

Once I had a tiger rush up to my face every time I closed my eyes. This continued to the point where I got so tired from lack of sleep I thought I would die. So I decided that would have to be what happens. So I closed my eyes to let the tiger eat me and of course it wouldn't appear.

I have a relative, perhaps genes are involved here, who has compulsive thoughts about surrendering to the devil and was at the time she was going through this terrified she would give in. I believe the compulsion, the emotional force that energizes these thoughts, is some form of guilt, some inculcated taboo, the frustration of some natural urge that brings relief or satisfaction of some kind that becomes perverted, that a person is made to feel they are bad for feeling. Once you make a person feel like they are evil for feeling something that is quite natural to feel, a compulsion to feel that feeling coupled with a feeling that one is doing something excitingly evil, creates a magnetic pull to do that thing.

There are drugs that help with compulsive behavior and psychotherapy is in order, I believe, because when the feeling of evil disappear, so do the needs.

To sum up then, you do not chastise suppress or punish yourself because this only feeds the beast. If you resolve the issue on an emotional level you don't have to abstain because the need that drives will disappear.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Any thought is fair game, and I'll contemplate anything as long as I choose to do so, or until something more pressing presents itself.

I agree.

I think if one really could not stop thinking about (insert really dodgy/illegal/sick notion here), then one needs help.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
thought-police.jpg

thought-police-2.jpg

Happiness_is_Mandatory_by_Joebles-225x450.jpg

thought-police-10128.jpeg

thought-police.gif

thoughtpolice.jpg

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I agree.

I think if one could not stop thinking about (insert really dodgy/illegal/sick notion here), then one needs help.

What if the self-regulation does stop the thought, at least for a matter of days/weeks? Starting around ~12 I would repeat "Don't think <inhaling>, bad thoughts <exhaling>" in my mind (sometimes whispered) and after some moments of time I would feel better. Admittedly I began that to ward off physical sickness (nausea mostly), but I've used it for moments of serious negativity and it gets her done.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I always wonder what a hamburger boy would taste like.

Though I only consider that a "curious" thought.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Objectively bad, sure. But have you never had unwanted thoughts enter your mind, even if in stray?

you mean like, "I wonder what it would be like to turn towards that innocent stranger next to me, grab his face and quickly bash it into the concrete wall right there, for absolutely no reason. I'm sure it would totally change everyone's bored mood" kind of thoughts?

No, I never have those.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
you mean like, "I wonder what it would be like to turn towards that innocent stranger next to me, grab his face and quickly bash it into the concrete wall right there, for absolutely no reason. I'm sure it would totally change everyone's bored mood" kind of thoughts?

No, I never have those.

No, that's just entertaining fantasy. A better example would be an impulsive nature viciously insult somebody, like hearing an individual minority say something disagreeable (it could be someone you know that is generally a friendly and smart individual) and I'll think "Well, yeah, that's cuz you're a <racial slur here>", and if I'm not facing the person I'll cringe at my thought and think to myself "Kill yourself you stupid fucking asshole".

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
No, that's just entertaining fantasy. A better example would be an impulsive nature viciously insult somebody, like hearing an individual minority say something disagreeable (it could be someone you know that is generally a friendly and smart individual) and I'll think "Well, yeah, that's cuz you're a <racial slur here>", and if I'm not facing the person I'll cringe at my thought and think to myself "Kill yourself you stupid fucking asshole".
Understand yourself better and you'll gain agency over your thoughts. There is a guilt that leads to self-hate, and there is the guilt of not reaching your own-post-potential. Let it be the latter guilt so that you can move past; instead of the former guilt that makes you dwell on.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I explained this all above. Is it that you don't get it or you don't want to? Folk think they are looking for answers sometimes when what they really seek is being better at being sick. You could profit from knowing that you torture yourself about this because you want to. I think you deserve not to be tortured as you obviously are, but you may disagree.

Have you ever seen a person standing watching people with the left hand behind the back and the index finger pointing? That is the finger of blame pointing at those who mirror the self.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
It's not really an issue of me being afraid to express my feelings, though, and the thoughts/impulses are ones that I believe are forbidden (or at least ostracized) in any modern culture. And I'm not saying that I necessarily see anything unusual in my own behavior; the purpose of this thread was more as a survey to see how others control unhealthy mental states, if need be.