Do we think that urban raised black men are being "fake" when they speak ...properly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
No, I think it's refreshing when someone speaks fairly proper English. It makes people easier to understand, no matter what color they are. I don't think that we emphasize public speaking and communication enough in school.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I am the Architect. I created the Matrix. I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant.
Say what?

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Doesn't matter what race they are, but I can tell when someone is just trying to sound smart.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Anyone else get the perverse urge to start talking in the dialect of whoever they're talking to? When I'm talking to Australians I have to stop myself before I do a Paul Hogan impression.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
I would rather have someone be "fake" and try to speak intelligently than talk in slang and sound like an idiot.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Depending on who your are speaking to, there are more and less effective ways of communicating. The key is to first understanding your 'audience', then to be understood.

If you're giving a presentation to a fairly wealthy bunch of people, your tone and speech should be different then if you're speaking to your bros in the hood.

as a side note, Ebonics isn't much more than the unwillingness to articulate words correctly. Having spent a fair amount of time in the deep ghetto, the Black Ebonics many refer to seems to be no more than loud mumbling. usually all the words of proper english are there, in one form or another ;)

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
I wish everyone would speak English properly(at least to some degree). Has society rewarded stupidity so much, that people will now be harassed for speaking proper English?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Anyone else get the perverse urge to start talking in the dialect of whoever they're talking to? When I'm talking to Australians I have to stop myself before I do a Paul Hogan impression.

YES! I was at a social gathering and I spoke with a lisp all night, first to mock some people (without hatred, I assure you) then it just stuck for the night. I ended up in a public bathroom and got arrested by an under cover cop.. Odd night..

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212

YES! I was at a social gathering and I spoke with a lisp all night, first to mock some people (without hatred, I assure you) then it just stuck for the night. I ended up in a public bathroom and got arrested by an under cover cop.. Odd night..

Hello, Senator!

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: elmro

Hello, Senator!

"I am NOT gay!!!!"

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Me and my friends are all waiting for Obama to just get mad and all of a sudden the black talk spurts out.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
Me and my friends are all waiting for Obama to just get mad and all of a sudden the black talk spurts out.

Heh, it already happened to Hillary at a black church. Maybe Obama will start talking like Apu from the Simpsons at a Mosque.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99

Given his background he is more likely to start spouting Hawiian.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisg22
I would rather have someone be "fake" and try to speak intelligently than talk in slang and sound like an idiot.

The commonality is the fact that your particular someone is an idiot either way...

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: chrisg22
Originally posted by: elmro

Hello, Senator!

"I am NOT gay!!!!"

You're as queer as a 10 dollar bill!