Do we need a health claims nonsense and quackerly FAQ?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Given that there is a plague of Health and Wellness sites that sprout nonsense and in many cases outright quackery, I'm proposing a sticky FAQ on how to spot such nonsense and quackery when we run across it with a warning list of of known promoters of this stuff.

Is this needed? Or at the very least, be something useful to have?

@Mods what are your thoughts on this?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Some don't believe in the benefit of chiropractors. I was one for years...and then my back took a vacation. They aren't the cure all but they have their place.

So...meh...there's plenty of smart people here to point out internet lunacy.

And the #1 way to spot it here is the post count.:D

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wonder if as a person's disposable income increases, they loss more of their common sense?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Some don't believe in the benefit of chiropractors. I was one for years...and then my back took a vacation. They aren't the cure all but they have their place.

So...meh...there's plenty of smart people here to point out internet lunacy.

And the #1 way to spot it here is the post count.:D
Ha Ha very funny highland145, so I see that your humor meter isn't broken.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My only advice is to bathe daily in essential oils while eating a vegan ketogenic diet after doing hot yoga. It worked for some guy on Youtube and it can work for you too! :hearteyes:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Is this needed? Or at the very least, be something useful to have?]

Yes, but - it's difficult, for 2 reasons:

1. That list would literally grow on a daily basis
2. This will now become your hobby for the rest of eternity to research & update

Personally, I am currently in love with the idea of "eat IIFYM & eat real food". I am also a fan of picking out your end goals, especially if you're working on some sort of physical goals like powerlifting, bodybuilding, and so on - decide what you want to look like or what you want to achieve numbers-wise or whatever, setup a realistic plan to get there, and get to work. If you eat according to your macros & if you follow a proven plan to achieve specific results, like 5x5 Stronglifts or anything like that, and if you stick with that every single day, success can't help but follow.

Part of it, too, is stepping back & realizing that you can really only focus on improving yourself. People get bit by the H&F bug & then have to forge their way through the noise of the different health & fitness markets in-person & online. Smart people do their research & find proven strategies to follow, rather than goofing off with intermittent action & not following a plan.

It took me a long time to figure out what really worked, what I really wanted, and how to get there, and I am totally guilty of spouting off broscience over the years because for whatever reason, certain things made sense to me at the time. Just in summary, for actual results, I currently like IIFYM, 7 straight hours of sleep (preferably at an early hour), calisthenics bodybuilding, and GTD for stress management - subject to change in the future! Although this has held up the longest in my life so far, so I'll probably stick with it, like, forever. Until something else comes along, that is :D

Some people like helping other people on their personal wellness journey so much that they become personal trainers, only to find out that it's mostly a babysitting job for people who don't really want to try, because the people who want to try typically get out there & figure out what works & make it happen regardless of what anyone else tells them. Especially because like 80% of H&F is diet, and the majority of people really would rather not have to cook, but don't have a grand a month to throw into a customized food-prep service, and personal training really only helps you in-person with the fitness aspect of things.

TL;DR: You have a nice idea & a worthwhile idea, but unless you want it to become your hobby, then meh. There are people who make a living off of doing stuff like that, however, like John Oliver's fantastic MLM expose: (long but 1000% worth it!)

brb off to get an Amway shake ;)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks @Kaido sorry about the long delay, but just got my internet going again. Anyway as food goes I do try to avoid most processed foods and while I do eat Ramen noddles due to being easy to fix and cheap, I do buy my veggies and fruits fresh.

I don't mind the cooking part, just washing the dishes afterwards.