do walmart auto centers install brakes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phatj, Jul 1, 2007.

1. phatj

phatj Golden Member

my chevy dealer wants almost $500 total for all new brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has experience getting their brakes done at Walmart and how the experience was. Thanks!!

2. cKGunslinger

cKGunslinger Lifer

No, I don't think they do.

Try a Pep Boys or Just Brakes. The latter usually offers $99 deals for all 4 wheels, including machining.

3. blurredvision

Nope, atleast I've never seen one that does brakes.

4. jagec

jagec Lifer

I've climbed mountains. I've gone whitewater rafting. The first time I went skiing, I went down the black diamond. I've squeezed into the back of a rickety, overcrowded bus going down the Andes in Ecuador, and I've walked through the dirty, dark streets of Bucharest at midnight. I've climbed up drenched, slippery rocks in my swimming trunks with a waterfall below me and no one else around, and I ride my motorcycle to work every single day, rain or shine.

But what I will not do, a risk I won't take, is to let Wal-mart to work on my brakes.

5. xanis

xanis Lifer

:thumbsup: Well put!

6. RandomFool

RandomFool Diamond Member

Avoid Wal-mart fopr anything car related. My ex went there for tires. When she picked it up they mentioned that one of the tires required a bunch of extra weight(i think) to balance it. She started drving home and realized that the car was shaking. After talking to the manager and getting them to look at it again it turnd out that tire that needed all the extra weight was bad.

7. Bucks

Bucks Senior member

Walmart only does Tires and Fluids

8. Compton

Compton Platinum Member

You really can't trust Walmart for oil changes. I don't know why you would trust them for brakes.

9. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

So, there are other walmarts that are bad for car work?

From the closest walmart to me, there have been numerous cases of people driving off and having a tire fall off (ooops, forgot the lug nuts; or forgot to tighten them), and at least one case where they forgot to put in new oil after an oil change.

I went once when they were new here to get two new tires put on my car. 5 miles later of wondering what that weird sound was, I discovered my parking brake cable was rubbing against one of the new tires- wtf?? They "fixed it" for me - just put on some zip strips.

10. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Oh, and OP:
    check every thread about brakes that's been written. Someone will suggest in every thread that you learn to do the brakes yourself. It's a pretty simple job. Mechanically, it's harder to figure out how the friggin wiper blades detach on a different car.