Question Do video cards play much of a role in the performance you get out of 3DS Max?

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Hi there folks.

I am recommending some computer parts to a friend who is putting together a system for his teenage son who will be using 3DS Max, as the main bit of software they have to use for college and I am wondering if the GPU plays much of a role here?

My friend was thinking of going with a Radeon 5600XT and I am wondering if he could get away with a card that was less powerful, like a RX570 and if it makes much difference if the GPU has 4gb of ram vs 6gb or 8gb of ram on it?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Reactions: CHADBOGA

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
In the cases where I wanted a card for specific 3D tasks like these and the focus wasn't gaming (but you know, can still do that a little) I'd go back in time for a generation two older, usually Quadro because it seems like their software support is just... better. And their integration with professional applications is more widespread.

Nothing against the AMD professional cards, really.

Also, those cards are usually old enough to be cycling out of business lease computers and aren't super competitive against current gen cards for gaming so they've depreciated a lot.

Looks like a nice GeForce card could be a safe initial investment, but cores & ram should help on the CPU rendering side a lot.

Sure sounds like a 16 core Zen 3 CPU would be a solid investment.

Last edited:

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i havent touched 3dsmax for 15 years(i was primarliy maya and lightwave/modo), but at the time they had added the option for the realtime viewport displays to use either openGL or directX.

viewport pan/zoom/orbiting is the predominant action when getting around in a scene. for a student just starting to learn the package there is no reason for them to be working with huge polycount scenes with gi realtime lighting effects on the preview viewport. modeling rigging animation texture and basic camera setup come first, render wrangling is the last thing to worry about. setting up proper render layers and element passes for compositing is more important than orbiting the preview camera with all the bells and whistles on.

a rx5600/5700 or 1660 card should cut it until they are rendering their grad projects, and for that they can pay for an online render farm. by that time better consumer gpus will be out so there is no rush.

quadro and firepro drivers are better for working with wireframes and vertices.

JustMe21

Sep 8, 2011
Most reviewers don't benchmark professional applications with gamer cards, but if you do happen to have one or both of those, download SPECviewperf 2020 from www.spec.org. It has a 3DS Max benchmark test, among others. The benchmark is under the Graphics and Workstation Performance section.

Here are some results for gaming cards from SPECviewperf 2020

and some for SPECviewperf 13

Last edited: