Do they test for STD's when you donate blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Just curious because ive never specifically gone in for an STD test, ive only donated blood a bunch of times. If i recall correctly, they will call you if you have any problems right?

If not, where do ya reccomend i could go to get tested, just my regular doctor?

P.S. - Before ANYONE says it, no i dont think i have one or anything. Ive just been thinking its probably something i should at least do once in a while.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Yes, they do. If you are found to have an STD, they make you wear a giant sign with the name of the STD that you have until the the blood drive is over. They even provide vegetables for the "clean" people to throw at you. ;)

Actually, they do test for AIDS/Hepetitus (not sure what else) but it's after the blood is collected. You have the option to flag your blood as "bad" when you donate if you know you have an STD/etc (I don't remember exactly what you do), but it's set aside and not used. It is then destroyed. I volunteered at a blood drive once back in high school as a "courier" (I carried the blood bags from the donor to the collection area), and there was a special sticker that either was or wasn't placed on the bags of blood if you didn't want it used. I don't remember exactly how it was done (it was a long time ago), but I do know it was anonymouse and discreet.

LH

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2002
They check for HIV/AIDS and Hep, and other STDs that can be contracted through body fluid. To get tested for the rest you need to go get a dry q-tip shoved down you know where.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: LH
They check for HIV/AIDS and Hep, and other STDs that can be contracted through body fluid. To get tested for the rest you need to go get a dry q-tip shoved down you know where.

Yeah, its not especially pleasant but at least its fairly fast. I had it done about 2 years ago.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: LH

:Q

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
If you are engaging in any sorts of risky behaviors you shouldn't be donating blood.. call your county health dept for info on where to get free anon HIV testing.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: baffled2
If you are engaging in any sorts of risky behaviors you shouldn't be donating blood.. call your county health dept for info on where to get free anon HIV testing.

Im not, at all. I just realized that i have never been tested other than when giving blood. Believe me, i have no reason whatsoever to suspect anything. I just want to get a full test.

Carrot44

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes they do test.

Had a friend who was sick alot and they could not find out what was wrong. Shakes and just not well. She gave blood and they called her a couple days later and had her come in and told her she had Hep C and what to do about it. :(

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: aphexII
Originally posted by: baffled2

Im not, at all. I just realized that i have never been tested other than when giving blood. Believe me, i have no reason whatsoever to suspect anything. I just want to get a full test.

I didn't rhink you were :)

My point is this, the HIV test is only as good as what you did 6 months ago, there's a window of time between iexposure to the virus and your body developing measurable antibodies to it.That's why you're asked so many lifestyle questions when you go to donate and certain groups of people are asked to consider themselves permantantly at risk in terms of being blood donors.

Also, if you come up positive as result of Red Cross donation/testing results you've got zero real guarentee of any privacy
regarding that info.Go thru your county health dept for free truly anon testing.

AnimeKnight

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2000
when you donate blood.. towards the end they fill 3 tubes of your blood those tubes were sent for test... and you were giving a chance at the end of the donating to put a sticker (bar code) one has the code say you can use the blood while the other say you can't. they send the blood for tests and those blood that tested with STD or other stuff were destroyed by burning them or something like that. ( I used to volunteer at Red Cross) they told me they burned all the infected blood. I hate volunteering on that day.. because the whole bulding smells:disgust:

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
How could I volunteer for the bloodbank? What types of stuff could I do? Do you need to be 18 or anything?

FancyTurtle

Oct 7, 2011
Someone actually laid you? Damn...

;)

Well colt45 you must feel like such a big person making fun of someone who was asking an important medical question and turning what they said around in order to make fun of them. Anyone who would do such a thing is a horrible person and should seek professional help because one day they will wake up realiese how horrible they are and end their life and none wants that

Dec 10, 2005
Well colt45 you must feel like such a big person making fun of someone who was asking an important medical question and turning what they said around in order to make fun of them. Anyone who would do such a thing is a horrible person and should seek professional help because one day they will wake up realiese how horrible they are and end their life and none wants that
Wow - good thing you got to him now, 10 years after the last post in this thread was created. He may have gotten away...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
...asking an important medical question ...

we didn't have a Health and Fitness forum in 2002 :rolleyes:
400px-Necro2.jpg

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Just curious because ive never specifically gone in for an STD test, ive only donated blood a bunch of times. If i recall correctly, they will call you if you have any problems right?

If not, where do ya reccomend i could go to get tested, just my regular doctor?

P.S. - Before ANYONE says it, no i dont think i have one or anything. Ive just been thinking its probably something i should at least do once in a while.

You have herpes don't you?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Actually, they do test for AIDS/Hepetitus (not sure what else) but it's after the blood is collected. You have the option to flag your blood as "bad" when you donate if you know you have an STD/etc (I don't remember exactly what you do), but it's set aside and not used. It is then destroyed.

Damn, I didn't know this thread was so old when I was reading it. I wanted to ask about this. What's the point of giving known bad blood, a free cookie? I'd rather pony up the 25¢ instead of going somewhere to get a needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.