do they make replacement plexiglass covers for hard drives?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
decided to take apart an old 4gb hd....

do they make transparent replacement covers?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I remember seeing them somewhere before, I think it was in CPU magazine.

You had to do the swap out in a zip lock bag to keep it from getting contaminated or something like that.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: blazert40

You had to do the swap out in a zip lock bag to keep it from getting contaminated or something like that.

can't even the tiniest spec of dust on the platters cause problems?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
any dust will crash the hdd. this needs to be done in a medical quality clean room if at all seeing as the clearances betweern platter and head is something like 1/10 the diameter of a human hair.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: quakefiend420

They said that the chances of the drive lasting long were pretty slim.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002

I remember that article, the guy used a steamed up bathroom as a sort of semi-attempt at a clean room. The idea being that the steam removed most of the dust in the air.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Bootprint

I remember that article, the guy used a steamed up bathroom as a sort of semi-attempt at a clean room. The idea being that the steam removed most of the dust in the air.

but then wouldn't you have water on everything inside the drive that wouldn't evaporate after the cover was sealed?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Today's HDs are no longer sealed tight. Also they are a lot more durable and don't need to be operated in a clean room when the case is removed. So as long as you're careful when removing the cover and prevent too must dust to landing on the platters, it will be fine. That being said, I definitely wouldn't recommend any mission critcal files to be stored on an open HD.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: eelw
Today's HDs are no longer sealed tight. Also they are a lot more durable and don't need to be operated in a clean room when the case is removed. So as long as you're careful when removing the cover and prevent too must dust to landing on the platters, it will be fine. That being said, I definitely wouldn't recommend any mission critcal files to be stored on an open HD.

yeah but by the sounds of it, it's a 4gb hdd so its anchient. wouldnt fool around with it.

Aug 26, 2004
why hasn't any hdd manufacturers started making drives like this from the factory?

i'm sure even people who didnt have the case windows and lighting and such would buy them just to see their hdd working...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
guess i shouldnt have gone spinning the platters w/ my fingers then, eh? :D

suse920

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: eelw

cool i didnt know that.

mchammer

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
why hasn't any hdd manufacturers started making drives like this from the factory?

i'm sure even people who didnt have the case windows and lighting and such would buy them just to see their hdd working...

That would be cool, they could sell an external USB drive like that.

Has anyone seen a video of one of these window mods actually working?

Nomada

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Anybody know the link to that guy who ran his HD without the cover for a good deal of time(weeks)? As said, if you take precautions, it just might be doable.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It's easy to do yourself. Note: it's much easier to work with Lexan (polycarbonate) than Plexiglas (acrylic).