Do they make HDMI or DVI cables for the PS2?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
On my 50" plasma, PS2 games look somewhat crappy through S-Video and composite. My TV is also stupid when it comes to component video inputs - there are 2, but one has no sound input and the other is taken up by my cable box. So, I need to hook it up by DVI/HDMI. Anyone?

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Ugh... that sucks. Sadly, PS2 games will look like garbage on larger TV's no matter what you do; however better cables can help to an extent. I have mine hooked up to a 42" LCD via component and I get sharper text but the images, save for extra-detailed cutscenes, are still junk. In fact, a buddy of mine watching me play FF XII yesterday told me I needed to ditch the large HD screen and get a crappy 19" so the graphics look better! He's almost right.

I also doubt that digital video cables exist for the PS2. I discovered that a lot of video game resolutions, including the PS2's 480i/p, simply don't convert. I have a receiver that converts all inputs into HDMI, but the manual specifially says most video game resolutions are not convertable; and so I can only assume that implies the limitation on digital cables. Of course, I could totally be wrong but this is based on my own experience trying to run my PS2 to my receiver via component; then from receiver to TV via HDMI.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I use componont on mine, it looks good.

Edit: didnt see you cant do sound....

External speakers?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
On my 50" plasma, PS2 games look somewhat crappy through S-Video and composite. My TV is also stupid when it comes to component video inputs - there are 2, but one has no sound input and the other is taken up by my cable box. So, I need to hook it up by DVI/HDMI. Anyone?

I say no but something on the lines of this and use the vga out and a vga-DVI-HDMI adapter maybey. I wouldnt get this one I linked for the quality suck, I own it, but there are other ones out there. The one I was looking for that has vga out and takes componant in is made by a monitor company. It has a built in tv tuner also but for the life of me I can remember the manufacture. It has 3 birds as thier logo though. But that one is going to cost you close to if not more then $100 and still your going to have a sound issue if you need to use the tv for that.

If sound is the big issue, as I take it, going DVi toHDMI is not going to produce and sound though your tv still. Your going to need to use the digital out of the ps2, and if doing that, you can use the componant in on the tv then.

If your using all your digital inputs on your sound system then getting a toslin switch from monoprice is the way to go. I use that with my Z5500 set up and can be had for under $20 at monoprice. It has 3 in and one out and I have my pc, xbox, and ps2 going into mine out putting it to my stereo. You just flip the switch to the one your using.

Link to switch

Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
Ugh... that sucks. Sadly, PS2 games will look like garbage on larger TV's no matter what you do; however better cables can help to an extent. I have mine hooked up to a 42" LCD via component and I get sharper text but the images, save for extra-detailed cutscenes, are still junk. In fact, a buddy of mine watching me play FF XII yesterday told me I needed to ditch the large HD screen and get a crappy 19" so the graphics look better! He's almost right.

I also doubt that digital video cables exist for the PS2. I discovered that a lot of video game resolutions, including the PS2's 480i/p, simply don't convert. I have a receiver that converts all inputs into HDMI, but the manual specifially says most video game resolutions are not convertable; and so I can only assume that implies the limitation on digital cables. Of course, I could totally be wrong but this is based on my own experience trying to run my PS2 to my receiver via component; then from receiver to TV via HDMI.

Um no there is a HUGE diff between s-video and componant. I was using mine on my 100" projector and when I finnaly got my componant cable and switched over to that input it looks freaking great now. S-video and composit sux balls.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Use components and run the digital optical audio from your PS2 to your receiver. Please tell me you have an A/V receiver with that plasma!

EDIT: And don't expect component to look all that great either.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Use components and run the digital optical audio from your PS2 to your receiver. Please tell me you have an A/V receiver with that plasma!

EDIT: And don't expect component to look all that great either.

No receiver. I'm a visual guy.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Well spend $200 at a min and get the Logitech Z5500 speaker set up. I use it as a HT set up and its great and it will take care of your need for a different input and have some good sound to go along with that nice tv ;)