do they make 60mm temp controlled fans? help me make my computer quieter

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
currently the noisiest fan in my microatx case is a 60mm exhaust fan. i'm going for the silent computer , i've got a retail 70mm intel p4 heatsink that only spins 2500rpm, a seagate u6 hard drive (barracuda iv 5400rpm basically with liquid bearings, much quieter than the maxtor 541dx it replaced by a ton), and the 60mm exhaust fan that came with the case that i have 5 volted with a zalman fan mate 1.

now i am thinking of replacing the zalman fanmate1 60mm combo, with a temp controlled fan but i cant even find temp controlled 60mm fans (i've seen low output ones, but the stock 60mm with zalman is exactly the same as that). my comptuer is almost inaudible, but still i'm going for the gold here.

also it seems the power supply is the most noisy fan left. its probably in the 31 dba range. i see a fan in there, how hard is it to take it out, and stick in a temp controlled fan? its a non standard power supply , but it looks like an 80mm fan.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

<< You can use a fan speed controller here or you have to build a circuit yourself with a thermister >>

i'm already using one of those. the zalman fanmate 1 is a fan speed controller. apparently at 5volts its at 1500 rpm. what i'm wanting is it to work like a laptop where the fan is completely off unless it gets too hot. right now, my cpu temp in the bios is actually lower than my ambient but i'm sure the sensors are inaccurate