Info Do some Best Buy's have projectors setup so you can compare them ?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I guess.

Anyway should I get a 1080p or 4k projector ?

I can't decide. Thanks.

That is mainly why I wanted to see the difference side by side or at least the 1080p on for a few seconds then the 4k on for a few secs after.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Find people local to you on the AVS forums and ask them to check out their setups. I did that when I was shopping because you couldn't even buy projectors in stores like BB when I got mine. I went to some local stores but also went to 2 people's houses and even brought my Xbox 360 and joystick because I wanted to test out the input lag with Street Fighter 4.

Reactions: pcslookout

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Find people local to you on the AVS forums and ask them to check out their setups. I did that when I was shopping because you couldn't even buy projectors in stores like BB when I got mine. I went to some local stores but also went to 2 people's houses and even brought my Xbox 360 and joystick because I wanted to test out the input lag with Street Fighter 4.

I did try.

No one on that forum lives close enough to me :( Guess no one is tech savy here or signed up to that forum yet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did try.

No one on that forum lives close enough to me :( Guess no one is tech savy here or signed up to that forum yet.
So then drive farther away to them. I am in the DC Metro area and had to drive like 40-45 minutes to go to each of these guys houses. Then I drove 8 hours round trip to NYC to pick up my rear speakers, and 4 hours round trip to PA to pickup my subs. It just comes with the territory of the niche hobby.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Depends on the Best Buy. There is a humongous one near me in Sunnyvale that has a couple of rooms setup for home theater demos. Look for Best Buys with Magnolia Home Theaters in them and call them directly to see what they have.

Reactions: pcslookout

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Depends on the Best Buy. There is a humongous one near me in Sunnyvale that has a couple of rooms setup for home theater demos. Look for Best Buys with Magnolia Home Theaters in them and call them directly to see what they have.

Thanks mine has that I think.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I can't say I've ever seen a place that has them on display. I think the logistics would make it tricky, as projectors arn't something you want to be turning on and off all the time, and leaving them all on would also be sucking life out of the bulbs.

What I would do is make sure that you can return it if it's opened. Look at reviews etc and pick the one you think you'll like the most, but if you don't at least you can return and try something else. They tend to all have fairly wide adjustment options anyway so things like colour temperature etc you should be able to adjust to the room.

I would personally go 4k if it's not that much more expensive, just to be a bit ahead, but if it's like twice the price, unless you're gaming (in 4k) on it then probably not worth it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Eh, bulbs last a long as time and that is part of doing business if you are selling them. I'm not sure what you mean by it being bad to turn them on/off either. The only downside is that if you turn em off you usually have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down before you can turn it back on. Additionally, a projector that is just turned on will look different than it does 10 minutes later after it's warmed up.

As for 4k, to me it's not worth it yet because the cost is too high and there is too much input lag. I game on mine often and the input lag alone would be a deal breaker. I sit about 13-14 feet from my 10 foot screen and 1080p looks crystal clear. I'm sure 4k will look even better but it's not close to being worth it for me now. When a good gaming one can be had for like $2k then I'd probably make the jump. I'd also need a new receiver and to run a new HDMI cable through the wall.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
When a good gaming one can be had for like $2k then I'd probably make the jump. I'd also need a new receiver and to run a new HDMI cable through the wall.

Depending on the cable and length you might be fine. One area I have had a problem is with the wall plate adapter. I've gotten 3 and none of them work for some reason. Not sure if thats an overall signal issue, cable issue, poor adapters etc. So my wall cable just runs out of the outlet box directly into my projector.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Depending on the cable and length you might be fine. One area I have had a problem is with the wall plate adapter. I've gotten 3 and none of them work for some reason. Not sure if thats an overall signal issue, cable issue, poor adapters etc. So my wall cable just runs out of the outlet box directly into my projector.
I'm pretty sure the HDMI cable I have doesn't even support 4k. I thought there is a min HDMI version needed to support it, and I don't think mine is above that version. I could be wrong though.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'm pretty sure the HDMI cable I have doesn't even support 4k. I thought there is a min HDMI version needed to support it, and I don't think mine is above that version. I could be wrong though.

I have some old hdmi cables that I bought before 4k was a thing (circa 2008) and they still pass it fine. I think the general rule is if you bought somewhat decent cables they'll work. That said I'm not sure if that is contributing to my faceplate adapter issue

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have some old hdmi cables that I bought before 4k was a thing (circa 2008) and they still pass it fine. I think the general rule is if you bought somewhat decent cables they'll work. That said I'm not sure if that is contributing to my faceplate adapter issue
Well shit I was not aware of that.

According to the one I bought, it DOES in fact support 4k. I got it back in 2012 so I assumed it didn't.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LQ83EI

I have a spare one in the wall too just in case something happened to the current one.

Although, my AVR doesn't support 4k.