Do recording artists get paid to speak out against MP3s?

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you think they are paid by the RIAA or their record label to speak out against MP3s and file-sharing? I don't see it as a smart move for them to do it on their own. It probably encourages more people to pirate their songs.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
I'm sure there is something in it for them.....perhaps not cash directly but maybe a more lucarative modification to their current contract with their label.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Why can't they do it to protect their intellectual property? True you can see it in the way that free sharing can lead to popularity of the particular songs, but some artists would rather get paid for their hard work. I know I would.

Don't use the word "artists" when referring to money-grubbing cookiecutter plastic molded music makers.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: SammySon
Don't use the word "artists" when referring to money-grubbing cookiecutter plastic molded music makers.

i despise metallica but I wouldnt lump them in with those in that category.
They are just greedy artists.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
You guys know anyone who would work for free ? I love my job, but I ain't doin it fo' free fool.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
You guys know anyone who would work for free ? I love my job, but I ain't doin it fo' free fool.

TUrn on MTV cribs.......they are obviously strapped for cash

Wolverine27

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2000
Originally posted by: gigapet
Originally posted by: SammySon

i despise metallica but I wouldnt lump them in with those in that category.
They are just greedy artists.

The artists are not the problem...the record labels are.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

So you're saying just because they have a lot of it, they should start giving it away... or at least be okay with not getting what is rightfully theirs ?

This same theory has been argued many times on AT. I don't see how it makes it okay. In the end, it's not like the artists are suing you for money. They're speaking to defend what is theirs. Why are we giving them $#!T for it ?

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000

They could be...ever hear of credit?
rolleye.gif

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

So you're saying just because they have a lot of it, they should start giving it away... or at least be okay with not getting what is rightfully theirs ?

This same theory has been argued many times on AT. I don't see how it makes it okay. In the end, it's not like the artists are suing you for money. They're speaking to defend what is theirs. Why are we giving them $#!T for it ?

If they want to get what is theres then there goal should be to restructure the system so they get more than a dollar for each cd they sell because the record companies are obviously fvcking them in the A$$ when it comes to cd profits.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
A while back, while on tour, my band played a show in L.A. After each show, we'd put our cd up for sale to help us get around the country. As we were talking with people who had come, a guy came up to me and asked, "Hey...is your cd on Napster?" Shocked, I asked him why. He said he wanted it, but didn't want to pay for it. The scary thing was, he was dead serious. It's been rare that my blood has ever boiled over so quickly. I chewed the guy out, as politely as possible, for wanting to steal our music and asking for my permission to do so?!

You ask if musicians are paid by their lables or RIAA to speak out against piracy. I'm sure RIAA has some paid spokespeople, but name one musician that wants their music stolen? For a season, I made my living from selling my music. I hope to do this again someday. I have no problem with MP3s. Feel free to make all that you want...AFTER you compensate the musician for the music!!

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: ObiDon

They could be...ever hear of credit?
rolleye.gif

what is credit? isnt that like accounting or something?

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: fonzinator
A while back, while on tour, my band played a show in L.A. After each show, we'd put our cd up for sale to help us get around the country. As we were talking with people who had come, a guy came up to me and asked, "Hey...is your cd on Napster?" Shocked, I asked him why. He said he wanted it, but didn't want to pay for it. The scary thing was, he was dead serious. It's been rare that my blood has ever boiled over so quickly. I chewed the guy out, as politely as possible, for wanting to steal our music and asking for my permission to do so?!

You ask if musicians are paid by their lables or RIAA to speak out against piracy. I'm sure RIAA has some paid spokespeople, but name one musician that wants their music stolen? For a season, I made my living from selling my music. I hope to do this again someday. I have no problem with MP3s. Feel free to make all that you want...AFTER you compensate the musician for the music!!

He came to your show isnt that compensating you for your music? or was it a free show?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

If they want to get what is theres then there goal should be to restructure the system so they get more than a dollar for each cd they sell because the record companies are obviously fvcking them in the A$$ when it comes to cd profits.
I didn't ask for an alternative solution to their problems. It doesn't concern me. What concerns me is what I asked you: "They're speaking to defend what is theirs. Why are we giving them $#!T for it ?"

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002

He came to your show isnt that compensating you for your music? or was it a free show?
All of our shows were free. Even if we had charged admission to a concert, that admission does not entitle the concert goer to own my music.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

I didn't ask for an alternative solution to their problems. It doesn't concern me. What concerns me is what I asked you: "They're speaking to defend what is theirs. Why are we giving them $#!T for it ?"

Well I wouldnt assume everybody is giving them sh!t for it. Many people may choose to attend a concert after listening to mp3s(I have attended 5+ shows I would never have gone to unless I downloaded the artists music). Concert =$$$ and support for artists. Many people may also purchase other merchandise. And even more people will after sampling some music go out and purchase all there albums. The % of people that download mp3s.....listen to them.........love them ........and dont give back to the artist in some way is likely very low. Those who dont give back in anyway are likely not very impressed by the music in the first place.....or.........they dont have the resources to fund the artists at that moment but will be likely to support the artist in one or all of the previous ways that i just mentioned when they are more financially stable. The question is.......is it about the love of music or about the love of money. To truly be considered an artist I'd have to say it would have to be aobut the music as a real painter wouldnt stop painting or bitch if they're paintings were not selling they would still paint for the love of it.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

All of our shows were free. Even if we had charged admission to a concert, that admission does not entitle the concert goer to own my music.

So you would opt for no fans over broke fans?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The point that you're missing is that they USE this money to make a living. If an artist is talented enough, they deserve to live in an MTV crib. It doesn't matter how extravagant.

If you suck at your job or have no viable skills, you EARN less and don't live as nice, am I right ? If you somehow then got great at what you do, but didn't get paid more for it and still live in a comparitive s#!thole, what would your reaction be ?

If these artists make it to the bigtime and get their music mainstream, why don't they deserve every penny they rightfully should get ?

When you say "The % of people that download mp3s.....listen to them.........love them ........and dont give back to the artist in some way is likely very low." ... there's no proof in that. If you want to use "likely's"... a 13-year old who has no job and little money would likely grab the songs from Kazaa and never look back. Now multiply that by the number of people without jobs in this country alone. That percentage of freeloaders is as likely as the percentage you think would use money they may or may not have on things they already got for free off the Internet. You don't know it's true. You only know what you would do, and I'm sure you don't go out and buy everything you like and already have for free.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002

I don't understand your logic?? Are you assuming that everyone who steals music does so because they are broke and can't afford the cd? We had 3 full songs on our web site that people could download and keep. This gave them ample opportunity to sample our music/sound/message. Stealing the rest of our cd is just plain wrong. As independent musicians, we had no label backing us with money. We borrowed thousands of dollars to make our cd avaliable to people. Recouping our debt and making a profit was very important. Food isn't free, nor is gas for 14,000 miles and 2.5 months on the road.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
The point that you're missing is that they depend on this money to make a living. If an artist is talented enough, they deserve to live in an MTV crib. It doesn't matter how extravagant.

If you suck at your job or have no viable skills, you EARN less and don't live as nice, am I right ?

If these artists make it to the bigtime and get their music mainstream, why don't they deserve every penny they rightfully should get ?

When you say "The % of people that download mp3s.....listen to them.........love them ........and dont give back to the artist in some way is likely very low." ... there's no proof in that. If you want to use "likely's"... a 13-year old who has no job and little money would likely grab the songs from Kazaa and never look back. Now multiply that by the number of people without jobs in this country alone. That percentage of freeloaders is as likely as the percentage you think would use money they may or may not have on things they already got for free off the Internet. You don't know it's true. You only know what you would do, and I'm sure you don't go out and buy everything you like and already have for free.

first off the people without jobs are not hte ones online cuz they are poor and dont even have pc's let alone any kind of broadband connection to download full albums.

Second: young tennagers cant afford much on there 5 dollar allowance. BUt if you get them hooked on your music when they are older and do have money they will spend it to see a concert, buy a shirt, buy the collection they could never afford etc......

I would love to be able to buy merchandise, cds and concert tickets for all the music I love however I like many others cannot always afford all that so I do what I can to support the artists that I like.

So it would be better then to have only affluent fans than larger fanbase that may not be albe to financially support your art. I'm not a musician but I think it would be more important to have a large fan base that might not all be able to support my work. Example: I make an album. Someone downloads it. They love it. They cant afford to buy it right away but they listne to it where ever tehy go. Over time a couple people ask them what it is they are listening too and they too beocme interested. Some of those people end up buying the cds going to shows etc...... some dont. In the end I ended up with more paying fans than I would have had had that kid not originally downloaded my album.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
To add to Fonz' message, my brother is a guitarist in a hardcore band. He has only a parttime job and still lives with mom. Music is his life.

He travels with his band all over the northeast and hardly makes anything from the shows. I can tell you the t-shirts and CDs and studio-time wasn't remotely cheap for them. They need the money they get back from merchandise sales.

On another note, when my coworker found out he plays hardcore music, he asked for a CD. Never did my coworker even consider paying for it, but I wasn't going to ask him for the money either. It wasn't my place. I gave my brother $5 for a CD and never told him it was my money and not my coworker's. Point was that it made him happy... and as much as he loves making music, it's the feeling of appreciation that the musician gets when someone shows them they are deserving of their hard-earned money.

You like it, you pay for it, especially when it's someone's livelihood. I don't care how much or how little they already have.

Gigapet, take that into your scenario. If the artist chooses to make mp3s freely available for the taking so that popularity can grow, that's absolutely fine. My brother has a few mp3s up on mp3.com for the taking. These artists who are speaking out against free sharing don't want it that way. They CHOOSE not to let their intellectual property be tossed about that way. Why then, do you think it's still ok to do so ? For the good of the artist ? For their popularity and future music sales? I think not. It's all about you getting it for free now and that's not right, especially when it was never INTENDED to be so.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001

I don't understand your logic?? Are you assuming that everyone who steals music does so because they are broke and can't afford the cd? We had 3 full songs on our web site that people could download and keep. This gave them ample opportunity to sample our music/sound/message. Stealing the rest of our cd is just plain wrong. As independent musicians, we had no label backing us with money. We borrowed thousands of dollars to make our cd avaliable to people. Recouping our debt and making a profit was very important. Food isn't free, nor is gas for 14,000 miles and 2.5 months on the road.

I agree you should be compensated by your fans somehow. But I'm suggesting that you see a fanatical supporter as an asset because they will be the ones flippin out at your shows creating the energy and atmosphere that will keep paying fans coming back , constantly talking about your music to others etc........ THey dont have the ability to spend money but they doesnt mean they dont support you at all.

If I download your album dont like it and never listen to it why would i pay for it ......thats just silly.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
To add to Fonz' message, my brother is a guitarist in a hardcore band. He has only a parttime job and still lives with mom. Music is his life.

He travels with his band all over the northeast and hardly makes anything from the shows. I can tell you the t-shirts and CDs and studio-time wasn't remotely cheap for them. They need the money they get back from merchandise sales.

On another note, when my coworker found out he plays hardcore music, he asked for a CD. Never did my coworker even consider paying for it, but I wasn't going to ask him for the money either. It wasn't my place. I gave my brother $5 for a CD and never told him it was my money and not my coworker's. Point was that it made him happy... and as much as he loves making music, it's the feeling of appreciation that the musician gets when someone shows them they are deserving of their hard-earned money.

You like it, you pay for it, especially when it's someone's livelihood. I don't care how much or how little they already have.

Gigapet, take that into your scenario. If the artist chooses to make mp3s freely available for the taking so that popularity can grow, that's absolutely fine. My brother has a few mp3s up on mp3.com for the taking. These artists who are speaking out against free sharing don't want it that way. They CHOOSE not to let their intellectual property be tossed about that way. Why then, do you think it's still ok to do so ? For the good of the artist ? For their popularity and future music sales? I think not. It's all about you getting it for free now and that's not right, especially when it was never INTENDED to be so.

then hey those people are sellouts and they dont desreve anyting for misleading the public to believe they are about the music when they are really about the $$$ IF you cant appreciate your fans then you dont deserve anything. Real fans support musicians others arent real fans they never had any intention of buying your cd and probably deleted or dont listen to any of the songs they downloaded of yours.