Do Police Officers keep track of the warnings they give you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WombRaider, Aug 21, 2007.

1. WombRaider

WombRaider Banned

I was pulled over last night for not using my turn signals. This is only the second time I've been pulled over by a cop. Fortunately, he only gave me verbal warning.

Do police officers keep track of the number of warnings they give you? After a certain number or warnings, do they give you a ticket? When they check your Driver's ID, what else do they check besides your background, recent felonies, etc.?

2. SoulAssassin

SoulAssassin Diamond Member

Not officially, but if he pulls you over tomorrow expect to get bent over.

Also, I find "WombRaider" mildly disturbing.

3. nakedfrog

nakedfrog Lifer

I think sometimes when you get warnings for stuff, it's because they only pulled you over because they suspect something else.

4. Fullmetal Chocobo

Fullmetal Chocobo Moderator<br>Distributed Computing

There is a record kept in dispatch for the traffic stop, and it will have your license plate, drivers license #, and the fact that he gave you a verbal warning recorded. The verbal warning does not go on your driving history, however.

When the check your license plate & drivers license, it checks to see if you or the vehicle is wanted or stolen. If the officer requests a criminal history check, then dispatch will return your criminal history as requested.

5. CaptainGoodnight

CaptainGoodnight Golden Member

Years ago, someone I knew on his prom night cut through a parking lot to avoid an intersection. He gets pulled over by the police. The cop sees that he is on his way to prom and just tells him to be safe, have fun, and don't be caught cutting through there again. So the idiot on his way back from prom cuts through the same parking lot and gets stopped by the same cop. This time he walked away with a ticket.

6. krunchykrome

krunchykrome Lifer

This reminded me of something that happened to me when I was 18 or 19.

I was driving somewhere in the afternoon and a cop pulled me over for speeding. I told the police officer that I was lost...blah blah blah. She only gave me a warning. Later that day, in the evening, I was driving and another cop pulled me over for speeding. This one had no mercy and gave me my first ticket.

7. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

I love how the stories have nothing to do with the question.

8. schneiderguy

schneiderguy Lifer

cutting through parking lots to avoid intersections is illegal?

oops

9. imported_Mike

Two types of warnings, verbal and written. Obviously the written warnings are kept track of.

10. Fullmetal Chocobo

Fullmetal Chocobo Moderator<br>Distributed Computing

Also keep in mind there might be different policies between states or even counties (SO) / cities (PD).

11. hanoverphist

hanoverphist Diamond Member

when i was younger and used to be prone to police warnings, they would fill out a field card and keep it in their car. that way, if there were too many field cards they would go the next level. as for random traffic stops, i bet there is a record of some sort based on the nature of them having to radio in that they are stopping you for whatever reason, but how long its kept i have no idea. wwould be interested if there are any cops/ SOs of cops that could find out.

12. jlee

jlee Lifer

It depends on the department/officer -- every stop I make gets logged & the person's info is entered into the department IMC database, but there's nothing to flag if you've had prior warnings.

As far as what comes up from the DL - we don't have in-car access in my department...but a good dispatcher will say whether or not you have any warrants, if your license is valid & if you have any prior violations. If you are a sex offender or have a restraining order against you, we'll be notified of that as well.

If you've been given two warnings from the same officer, consider yourself lucky.

13. Henrythewound

Henrythewound Senior member

I got pulled over for illegal window tint, got a warning (fix or repair order). It was written, I never "fixed" my tint. I'll bet if I got pulled over by a highway patrol guy again I would have gotten at least a ticket.

I sold the vehicle

14. bsobel

bsobel Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

Yes, circumvention of a traffic control device.