Do Playboy and Maxim(US) magazines endorse pedophillia?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by rayfieldclement, Nov 12, 2012.

1. rayfieldclement

rayfieldclement Senior member

In the 1999 or 2000 issue of Maxim(US edition) Kim Smith made a comment about her "stuff" that happened at her age or earlier. I think she was 13 years old at the time. There were other models in the issue. She was on the cover.

In Playboy in the mid to late 80s or 90s it talked about how PB was a healthy thing for adolecence buy talking about a sculpure showing young people that were below 18 reading a men's magazine (a playboy?)

is any of this stuff pedophillia? Should they be asked about the issue?:(

2. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Since pedophilia is the primary attraction to PREpubescent children, Im gonna say no.

3. OCGuy

OCGuy Lifer

1. Look up the definition of the word

2. If life is just a big rorschach test, I would call you a pedo.

4. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

especially

5. rayfieldclement

OK the term is HEBEPHILIA. is it moral for adults to do this? Is it obscene for children to appear in Men's magazines?

6. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

Children don't appear in men's magazines, so that's not an issue.

The last big controversy was about the male and female stars of Glee having a rather suggestive photo shoot at GQ. Each of those stars is over the age of 18, but there was an outcry because they play teenage roles on television.

7. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

This is gonna open a huge can of worms.

Attraction to a physically mature female (or male for that matter) is 100% normal. Where it becomes criminal, or morally wrong, depends on the culture you were raised in. We in the states believe any kind of sexual contact with someone below 18 is absolutely sick and they should be beheaded. Why? Because thats our age of consent. In Scottland you can marry at 16. Age of consent in Spain is 13. AOC in most of Central america is anywhere from 15-18. And on and on. The US has slowly been changing their own AOC laws. For example, some states have an AOC of 16. Some have AOC of 13, but partner must not be more than 3 years older.

Please note I said physically attracted. Obviously a 14 year old may physically be ready for a sexual relationship, but emotionally not so much. Bottom line is our views on teen sexuality (besides being hypocritical) are based on our laws and how we were taught therefore what we feel is appropriate.

But the answer to your OP is still no.

8. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

Sir, put the keyboard down and step away from the computer. Nice and slow, now, and keep your hands where we can see 'em.

9. zanejohnson

zanejohnson Diamond Member

'

this

10. rayfieldclement

Yes I will name 2 Kim Smith and Megan Ewing.

11. jackstar7

jackstar7 Diamond Member

12. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Both were 17 when they got discovered. Kim was actually 22 when she posed for Maxim, Megan 17 as a Guess girl. It wasnt until she was 18+ that she posed for Maxim and Victoria's Secret.

TWENTY TWO AND SEVENTEEN.

Can you name a child that has appeared inappropriately in either Playboy or Maxim?

#12 blackangst1, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  13. Lemon law

Lemon law Lifer

Where does this stuff come from that pedophilia is a major problem in the USA. Every nation on earth has a few such nuts and no matter how excited we get it will not increase or decrease. Read your holy old Testament bible full of insect, homosexuality, prostitution, gasp apple eating females, and every perversion known to man. We have enough strong laws already to punish such rare nuts, when we have bigger and more corrosive fish to fry.

14. Rainsford

Rainsford Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

It might be obscene for them to appear in a sexually exploitative context, sure. Based on your (honestly quite confusing) description of the content, it doesn't seem at all clear that's the case.

15. monovillage

monovillage Diamond Member

An excellent summing up of the issue.

16. jackschmittusa

jackschmittusa Diamond Member

rayfieldclement

Want to share your train of thought that led you to conclude you found pedophilia in the magazines?

I can't follow your reasoning without greater detail because it is not in the least bit obvious.

17. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

another incoherent post. i have no idea what hes asking. i dont know what theyre "endorsing" im just glad someone is getting those chicks to take off their clothes..

18. Screech

Screech Golden Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

19. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

Kim Smith was born in 1983, and appeared in Maxim in 2000, putting her at age 17, not friggin' 13 at that time.

I felt confident the OP was wrong in his memory of "13" so I went and looked this stuff up.

Another important point is that as you can see on the cover, she was VERY developed at that time. Nobody who had a weird, unhealthy attraction to children would perceive her as such, or gravitate toward that imagery.

Also keep in mind, there are plenty of places throughout or world where 17 year olds are still considered adults, or even 16 year olds or even younger than that in some places. Aren't there still some southern states where you can get married at 15 and crazy stuff like that?

I'm not endorsing any of those laws, just pointing out that the magical number of 18 isn't chiseled in stone within the halls of mother nature, or anything like that. Throughout 99.99% of human history people tended to have some very different notions about consent, age of maturity, appropriate age to marry and have children, etc etc. Ideas which, quite frankly, matched up with biological reality much better than our own.

They were dealing with different considerations though about life expectancy, infant mortality, and many cultural issues which we are largely free of in the developed world now. I largely endorse the attitudes we have toward these issues now in the USA. THOUGH THEY ARE NOT PERFECT.

When I hear stories about 18 year old boys going to prison and being registered sex offenders for life because they slept with their 17 year old girlfriend... I and anyone else who hears that should immediately know our system isn't perfect. At some point though the system had to make a decision about a certain age and stick with it. It's not practical to have the government issuing maturity tests and sex licenses...

But yes, it's imperfect. The age of consent is primarily there to prevent older people from taking advantage of less world weary younger people, and that is a noble thing to try to prevent. Unfortunately, you can still end up with situations where older people are child-like and naive, whether it be due to extreme age, mental handicap, lack of education, other considerations... plenty of times one adult emotionally manipulates and takes advantage of another.

So in conclusion, the laws aren't perfect but they are attempting to do positive things. I think the answer to the flaws in them is to give judges more leeway in sentencing for weird cases, and have judges who have some common sense. Judges who can dismiss a case against an 18 year old boy sleeping with a 17 year old girl. etc.

#19 Geosurface, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  20. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Lifer

Every image I can remember seeing in Playboy have been of adult sexually mature women. Can someone develop a preference to pedophillia by looking at pictures of women's pubic hair, labia, and large breasts?

This sounds like another in a long line of efforts to censor sexually explicit content.

#20 Siddhartha, Nov 13, 2012
  21. rayfieldclement

Sorry for the stupid topic.

#21 rayfieldclement, Nov 13, 2012
  22. waggy

waggy No Lifer

lol playboy leads to pedophilia? sounds like someone is searching for answeres on why he likes things.

I have had playboy for roughly 20 years (dad go tme a lifetime sub at 18). NEVER has any of the girls TRIED to look young. they are all mature and very pretty women.

though i think it was playboy Europe that had 15 yr old pose (legal too)