Do PC Ram and Video Ram need to be compatible?

MSwhip

Mar 30, 2011
My system is a Dell Studio 540 with Intel Q9550 2.83 Mhtz Quad Core Windows Home Premium 64-bit, 6 GB RAM DDR2 dual channel PC 6400 800 Mhtz, nVidia GTS 240 1Gb Video Card and Haupagge 1250 single TV tuner card. Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 2001FASS.

Would the following Video Card with DDR3 type memory be compatible with the system specifications of my PC, would they (PC and new card) work well together?
a. together with the current Video Card (thus increasing performance) ... and/or

b. I need to replace the nVidia GTS240 with the Radeon for it to work?

PowerColor AX4650 1GBK3-H Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

• Radeon HD 4650
  • 1GB DDR3
  • PCI Express 2.0 x16
Caveat:
I am assuming that the 4650 Radeon would turn my system much faster (as in double the speed -if I just replaced one with the other; even faster if both remain in the computer?) when surfing the web pages and watch live and or recorded TV. Am i right?

I would appreciate knowledgeable input if possible in layman terms.

Thank you kindly

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
A gt240 is faster then the 4650 and would not increase performance..
Video memory has nothing to do with system memory.

What exactly are you trying to make go faster?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
VRAM and RAM is not related and you don't need them to be compatible with each other to make it work in your PC.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
You can't combine both cards to get performance. You will have to replace your GT 240.

Changing video cards won't double the performance in the things you listed. Changing video cards can increase your performance in video games, but shouldn't have an effect on watching TV, viewing videos, or browsing the web.

If you need to get more gaming performance, then at minimum you should be looking at a GTS 450 or Radeon HD 5750.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
You will want to look at a GTS 450 or Radeon HD 5750, minimum, to roughly double your performance

I didn't know a 5750 could double his web surfing or watching TV speed over a gt240 ?
Really? I learn something new everyday.

Happy medium it is obvious to me, and to all those who unfortunately elected to take your bait and publicly respond, that you are taking the original statement out of context and are presenting in a light that is nothing short of simple flamebait.

Your tone is condescending, it really adds to "come'on and challenge me, I dare ya" attitude...again a hallmark of flamebait.

This approach is not productive, clearly, as one need look no further than to the remainder of this thread to see how it degraded and spiraled out of control following this baiting post of yours.

Please stop baiting.

(this infraction resulted in a 7-day auto-vacation for the poster)

Idontcare
Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I didn't know a 5750 could double his web surfing or watching TV speed over a gt240 ?

You should learn to stop using straw man arguments (in this case, as pointed below, taking things out of context) as sarcastic ad hominem attacks. It's getting really ....... annoying.

Profanity is not allowed in the technical forums.

Idontcare
Super Mod

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Individual hardware components always act differently when paired with other certain brands. To answer the title question you have, no; there is no direct relationship between memory on your MOBO and memory on your GPU. The memory on your MOBO directly impacts your CPU and storage hardware (HDD/SSD). The memory on your GPU only affects your GPUs handling (unless it's shared memory on a laptop - where both CPU and GPU use the same memory modules).

Getting a better video card won't make web surfing or watching streaming media any faster in the slightest. Running 2 video cards won't result in a more powerful computer unless they're linked together (SLI and CF), but both cards need to be the same brand. (You can use multiple cards from different manufacturers, but the benefits would only be if you're using 1 of them for GPU processing such as video encoding effects or transcoding video files and the other is for display processing. This is an advanced option that most people don't use.)

Overall it sounds like your computer is running slow or you're not satisfied with it in general. I'd just recommend taking it to a local computer shop and have them clean it up for you. Even if you spend $50-$75 there to have them clean it up, that's a lot cheaper than buying new hardware you don't need. There's no reason the hardware you have isn't sufficient for web browsing and streaming videos.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Taking things said out of context to make your argument doesn't help anyone other than yourself out the door. :thumbsdown:

In the technical forums we prefer members do not pursue taking matters of posting violations into their own hands.

The preferred response is to have members be vigilant of posting violations and report them to the moderators (click the little red triangle
report.gif
in the lower-left of the post that needs to be reported).

Once reported, the preferred response is that the member do nothing more, no public or direct responses to the post in question. Let the moderators do what needs to be done at that point.

This is just a friendly FYI and reminder to the community in general, we need a vigilant community to keep up the quality of the community, but we can't have vigilantism either. Just report the post and then ignore the post.

Idontcare
Super Mod

eUK-host

Jan 22, 2011
Yes, you need to replace your GT 240 and opt for Radeon HD 5750, if would definitely increase your PC performance.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Taking things said out of context to make your argument doesn't help anyone other than yourself out the door. :thumbsdown:

I didn't take anything out of context, I asked a simple question. Notice the ? at the end of my sentences.

The Op asked if it would make his web surfing and Tv watching recording faster.
He said a 5750 or gts450 would. I thought he knew something I didn't. Simple as that.:hmm:

Then he edited his post and changed it.

Last edited:

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I didn't take anything out of context, I asked a simple question. Notice the ? at the end of my sentences.

He said a 5750 or gts450 would. I thought he knew something I didn't. Simple as that.

First, even if I had stuck with that original statement, it wouldn't be technically incorrect. A 5750/450 is roughly twice the performance of a 240. It's really funny you are trying to hide behind a question mark, when I can do the same thing with technicality here: I never specifically stated TV-watching-recording-web-surfing performance would be faster. I simply said performance, which could just have easily meant 3D rendering performance if you weren't looking to discredit me.

Second, I edited it because I had thought he included gaming as part of his suite of activities. But he didn't, so I decided to make my advice much more specific.

Notice how I'm using specific? This is because it ties directly to context. You are simply putting words into my mouth, and hiding behind a question mark, all in an attempt to discredit me. Thus, you created a straw man. Thus, an ad hominem attack emerges.

insurgent

Dec 4, 2006

He said a 5750 or gts450 would. I thought he knew something I didn't. Simple as that.:hmm:

Nah, you were being a jerk, you even highlighted the 5750 even though he mentioned the GTS 450 since you're such an Nvidia fan, but we understand what you're going through, the GTX590 being a disappointment and all.

In the technical forums we prefer members do not pursue taking matters of posting violations into their own hands.

The preferred response is to have members be vigilant of posting violations and report them to the moderators (click the little red triangle
report.gif
in the lower-left of the post that needs to be reported).

Once reported, the preferred response is that the member do nothing more, no public or direct responses to the post in question. Let the moderators do what needs to be done at that point.

This is just a friendly FYI and reminder to the community in general, we need a vigilant community to keep up the quality of the community, but we can't have vigilantism either. Just report the post and then ignore the post.

Idontcare
Super Mod

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011

You mean the post that doesn't have an edit tag at the bottom of it?

Interesting...

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
Clearing your PC's innards of possible dust is probably the best advice.
Unless there's something faulty, it shouldn't run slow at all.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
You mean the post that doesn't have an edit tag at the bottom of it?

Interesting...

Let's stop perpetuating the thread-derail guys and get back to the topic please.

Not directed at the specific member I am quoting, this is a thread-wide request by your moderator.

Thank you all in advance.

Idontcare
Super Moderator