Do pain killers (percocet, vicodin, etc..) show up on drug tests?

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Title pretty much says it all. I've got to take a drug test for a job I'm getting and while I don't do drugs I do take pain killers for my condition. Is it possible that my medication could show up as some sort of illegal drug?

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
If you take them legally then tell them when you take the test, If you do not they will fail you.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, they will show up. Disclose it up front and be prepared to prove your medical condition with doctors' statements.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Yeah, if you have a legitimate condition you should have nothing to hide. Therfore tell them about it before you take the drug test.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
really? I should tell them up front? last time I told some one about my condition I lost my job. Since then I've told nobody that I've worked for.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Cougar
really? I should tell them up front? last time I told some one about my condition I lost my job. Since then I've told nobody that I've worked for.

Hmm. What exactly is your condition?

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
Originally posted by: dparker

Doesn't your workplace employ an independent lab?
Just tell the lab, not your employer.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

I would've got some sort of proof if you're sickness is a legal and legit one and sued them.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000

Ummm...this being an open forum and the fact that I don't really like divulging this to strangers I'll just say that I NEED pain killers to survive and there are times where straight morphine is completely innefective.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
hmm.. unless his 'condition' is addiction to pain killers ;) :p

kidding... of course--- however, i would at least take a doctors note saying you're allowed to have them.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Ummm...this being an open forum and the fact that I don't really like divulging this to strangers I'll just say that I NEED pain killers to survive and there are times where straight morphine is completely innefective.
How can they fire you for something like that, as long as it does not hurt your performance?

You should not worry about telling them. If you do not tell them, the test will come up positive.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Well you need to disclose it, and if your condition makes you unfit for a job you really need to be careful where you work. ie: if you have narcolepsy (fall asleep for no reason instantly without warning) you probably should not be a pilot...

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

I would've got some sort of proof if you're sickness is a legal and legit one and sued them.

Believe me nocturnal I can get all the proof I need. I could have buried the company and had my boss shipped off to Siberia but I chose to take the high ground. I was burned up for weeks after it happened but eventually I simmered down and realized that it wasn't worth it. I didn't want to "make it" in life by suing an ignorant weasel...I didn't want to stoop to her level.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
How can they fire you for something like that, as long as it does not hurt your performance?

"Your being ill is causing an iconvenience to the rest of the staff and I'm going to have to re-think your position here"

That's what I was told. This was for a tech support position where there was an entire team that could have taken up my slack in my absence.

Well you need to disclose it, and if your condition makes you unfit for a job you really need to be careful where you work. ie: if you have narcolepsy (fall asleep for no reason instantly without warning) you probably should not be a pilot...

The only way my condition effects my job performance is the fact that I miss more work than everyone else. However, in order to compensate for this I will far too often go into work and do my job all doped up and in pain just so I don't have to worry about being fired for my health. I figure as long as I'm there (even in my current state) that they can't fire me for missing too much work.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Doesn't your workplace employ an independent lab?
Just tell the lab, not your employer.

My "employer" is a contracting firm and they will be using an independent lab (I assume) so if I just tell the lab it won't get back to the contracting agency, or the company I'll be working at will it?

I don't want to sound like a pansy, but since this is my career we're talking about I'm a little apprehensive to tell anyone at this point.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Shoots I would sue a company in an New York minute if the chance arose. I'm talking about if they did something bad to me and they had no grounds to terminate me, of course.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
If you can go 3 days without your medications before the test you should pass and not have to explain any medical conditions.

It sucks that employers discriminate against people who have medical problems.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
If you can go 3 days without your medications before the test you should pass and not have to explain any medical conditions.

Only 3 days? I thought I heard that these tests can go back as far as 6 months?

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depends on the drug. The chemical in marijuana has a half life, so it basically stays in your system damn near forever, but the test can only detect down to a certain point. Pain killers are metabolized and broken down by your kidneys rather quickly, i'd wager.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

where do you get 3 days for the medication to be fully out of his system ?
any proof ?

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

No...

I'd say 3 days is pushing it, even. The only drug that I know of that is detectable more than 2 days after using is marijuana, because THC readily binds to fat.

AFAIK, just about all other drugs are flushed out of your system as fast as your body can manage.

Of course, unless they take a hair sample.. but if it's just a urine test, there is no way to detect drugs unless they are active in your system.

But really, all you need to do is get your doctor to write you a letter telling them that you were needing to take the medication at the time of the test. They should just overlook the positive for the prescription. I don't think you need to give them your full medical history or anything.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

No...

I'd say 3 days is pushing it, even. The only drug that I know of that is detectable more than 2 days after using is marijuana, because THC readily binds to fat.

AFAIK, just about all other drugs are flushed out of your system as fast as your body can manage.

Of course, unless they take a hair sample.. but if it's just a urine test, there is no way to detect drugs unless they are active in your system.

But really, all you need to do is get your doctor to write you a letter telling them that you were needing to take the medication at the time of the test. They should just overlook the positive for the prescription. I don't think you need to give them your full medical history or anything.

wow that's pretty sweet

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: isekii

No...

wow that's pretty sweet

IMO, that's why all the cannabis users bitch and moan about drug testing so much. It almost seems like they're singled out. It's virtually impossible to catch someone drinking alcohol, or using cocaine unless they're a major junkie and used the same day as the test.

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Originally posted by: isekii

No...

wow that's pretty sweet

IMO, that's why all the cannabis users bitch and moan about drug testing so much. It almost seems like they're singled out. It's virtually impossible to catch someone drinking alcohol, or using cocaine unless they're a major junkie and used the same day as the test.

Both of you are exactly correct.

A friend of mine toked the wacky weed friday before a drug test on monday and failed. About 3 months later took acid and ecstasy on a saturday night before a drug test on monday and passed.

No joke. Piss tests are a joke however. Only the wacky tobacky folks "bitch and moan".

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Are you saying that you take Vicodin(hydrocodone/codeine) and Percocet(oxycodone) INSTEAD of morphine? Please clarify your statement because it makes your whole post sound suspicious. Believe me morphine is much more effective at combating pain than either of said pills. Why wouldn't you divulge your condition? Just give a basic idea of what it is like. Your post sounds suspicious if you don't clarify.

Opiates are detectable between 1 and 5 days depending on which opiate you took and in what form. Secondly, if it is a hair test then opiates can be detected up to 3 months.

Why would you be afraid to give your medical records to the lab or your employer? They cannot discriminate on the basis of your handicap. File with the EEOC if they deny you based on your handicap. I am not a litigious person, but this is something that we cannot allow in our society. If you can function and do the job then they are in the wrong.