do NVIDIA with RTX 2080/70 Is an advantage in watching movies?

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
does NVIDIA have an advantage in movies with a 4K screen ?
Why ?
how ?
If any ?

i have Q9FN + oled 9600
Which video card is better for me?

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
No advantage. UHD BD playback and BD playback is all 2D. No diff between a GTX950 vs 2080 TI.
Now if you’re rendering/upscaling with MadVR, you need a 6GB 1060 minimum for good 2160p performance.

Reactions: nathanddrews

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
i work a lot with Realtime scaling with dynamic SDR to HDR
Sound 2 CH to 5.1 DD

in 1080P i love to see movies in deep coloer 4:4:4 12 BIT
But in HDMI 2.0 it does not work with 4K

what I understood 1070 card this is the maximum

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Nvidia might have software for upscaling movies with their AI predictive upscaling system. But I haven't seen any such software yet.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
Nvidia might have software for upscaling movies with their AI predictive upscaling system. But I haven't seen any such software yet.

1. I did not understand they have such software? Or in the future will be ?

2. I have large screens 65 "OLED + Q9FN
Both can give me over 1: 10000 contras
I have not found a single test on a network that tests the quality of a video card in contras ?

2.1 All YouTube videos test only FPS on small screens for games that give Contras 1: 300

2.2 Did anyone see a test for the contras or colors that a NVIDIA or AMD graphics card produces?

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Nothing comes close to MadVR. It has been THE HTPC movie viewing software for a decade or more. Again, at 2160p, a 6GB 1060GB has been proven time and time again to have everything needed for proper UHD performance. Anything more is a bonus with diminishing returns, but adds heat, power, form factor concerns to a small 24/7 HTPC. Not a gaming card by any means, but the question isn’t about gaming, it’s about movie watching.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
1. I did not understand they have such software? Or in the future will be ?
Here's where I got the idea: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx

AI Up-Res increases the resolution of an image or video by 2x, 4x or 8x. Unlike traditional filtering methods which stretch out the existing pixels and filter between them, AI Up-Res creates new pixels by interpreting the image and intelligently placing data. This results in a sharper enlargement that correctly preserves the depth of field and other artistic aspects.

But I haven't seen any consumer software associated with this yet.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
Here's where I got the idea: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx

But I haven't seen any consumer software associated with this yet.
:)
1. looks great, but how does it work?
Not exactly explained on the site How does it work?
2. Suppose I install the SDK, how do I run the software ?
driver that will give me high quality video ?
does it require a lot of processing power to have a stronger card ?
3. Do you need a special movie player ? Do you work with YouTube ?

4. Do you just need to tune the video processing in the driver and it works ?

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
1. looks great, but how does it work?
It uses a neural network to guess the pixels between the known pixels.

For the rest of the questions, don't ask me, ask Nvidia. But I think Nvidia expects some third-party developers to actually get this stuff working with consumer video, later.

Another good question would be, does it work better than the current best method mentioned above, MadVR?

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
Last edited:

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
While I think these motion interpolation thingies are cool from a technology perspective, I have yet to see one that didn't introduce horrid artifacts - including the above NGX demos. I think the best technology for video already exists - Adaptive Sync/FreeSync/G-Sync/HDMI 2.1 VRR. Forcing the display to match the framerate of the content (or a multiple of that framerate) looks the best.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
While I think these motion interpolation thingies are cool from a technology perspective, I have yet to see one that didn't introduce horrid artifacts - including the above NGX demos. I think the best technology for video already exists - Adaptive Sync/FreeSync/G-Sync/HDMI 2.1 VRR. Forcing the display to match the framerate of the content (or a multiple of that framerate) looks the best.

Unfortunately, I did not understand, what exactly do you want to say?
I did not understand what you recommend and why?
:)

There is still no HDMI 2.1,
manufacturers promise in the future that there will be partial support for an accessory related to HDMI 2.1.

But from past experience these stories do not work well and there is always a bug!
and the manufacturers blame the cable, the screen manufacturer, the AVR manufacturer and more ...

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
There is still no HDMI 2.1
This is a common misconception. There are currently no 48Gbps devices, but there are several products available that have HDMI 2.1 features: Yamaha AVRs now have eARC, Xbone X supports low latency modes and VRR (in addition to FreeSync), as well as Samsung TVs. These are all HDMI 2.1-specific features. You don't need a new cable to use those features.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
This is a common misconception. There are currently no 48Gbps devices, but there are several products available that have HDMI 2.1 features: Yamaha AVRs now have eARC, Xbone X supports low latency modes and VRR (in addition to FreeSync), as well as Samsung TVs. These are all HDMI 2.1-specific features. You don't need a new cable to use those features.

HDMI 2.1
announced at CES 2017 almost two years ago!
Why buy a video card that in 3 months will be outdated !
NVIDIA is trying to make a fortune on new video cards without HDMI 2.1
In CES 2019 the screens will come with HDMI 2.1

The Denon AVR-X8500H has HDMI 2.1 that will be updated
according to the manufacturer's statement and not the fantasy of a publicist!

All promises from manufacturers that have some applications of HDMI 2.1 in HDMI 2.0 in the future
Not worth anything from experience!
Nobody promises you at the manufacturers in writing that they will give something!

It's always partial and full of problems, all of which blame the cable, the receiver, the television...

eARC in lg tv- It turned out to be bullshit, they transfer the sound file as a compressor and only part plays it well

No video card manufacturer has promised you to transfer eARC via HDMI 2.0
So all stories are worthless