DO NOT BUY FROM ALIBABA.COM, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF ! And now Genoa overheats due to them,.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Use whatever cooler and attach it with thermal epoxy. A proprietary cooler isn't essential unless it fits a proprietary space/case.

I do not recommend this at all when your CPU itself requires proper torque to just mount.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
How can it not come with a cooler then? Sounds essential to even use the cpu.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Okay... does a $6,000 CPU not come with a stock cooler?
no... enterprise units rarely come with anything outside the cpu as they are mostly intended for OEMS, and its third party thats selling it.

even then i have not seen a heatsink come with a threadripper / EYPC, or even any W series Xeons in ages, as they expect them to be mounted in pizzaboxes and each box has its own height specification.

My unit i had to piece out the heatsink also, but it was EZPZ for mine as they had them on EBAY, from a highly reputable seller.
Oh but i bought my combo board ram and cpu from supermicro surplus direct, hence it could also be why i didn't get anything but that and an I/O shield because i begged the seller.

How can it not come with a cooler then? Sounds essential to even use the cpu.

Thats just how enterprise parts work.
Sometimes you don't even get I/O shield plates for your motherboards, you need to beg the supplier if he has any from OEM cases, or you need to look them on the third market.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nevermind "enterprise" CPU's .... anything higher than an AMD 7600 (not sure about the X version) or Intel 13700 (non-k) doesn't come with a stock cooler at all these days.

Last CPU I bought that included one was my old Ryzen 3600 and I didn't use it even for that CPU.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I do not recommend this at all when your CPU itself requires proper torque to just mount.

The these screws are essential to getting the CPU pins to contact the socket, so all 6 must be torqued to spec (about 15 inch lbs if I remember right). The HSF below is for a Iu server case and those all have like 10 40mm 10,000 rpm fans pushing air through this heatsink.
1683923392954.png

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Heck, there's torque specifications for the bolts on the valve cover for my Miata, and it's fairly low.

watch im calling it... soon were gonna need to properly torque the pci-e screw holding the gpu along with the PC fans inside the case.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Heck, there's torque specifications for the bolts on the valve cover for my Miata, and it's fairly low.
Try retorquing bolts to torque and have them break on you. (Happened to me when doing a Toyota valve cover.)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Every bolt on your car has a torque spec. Just that nobody bothers for most things nor does it truly matter.

However if you OVER-tighten any bolt it will strip and/or snap every time.

This also defeats the entire point of a torque-wrench which is as much to prevent over-tightening as under.

Reactions: NutBucket

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I used a torque wrench but I would just tighten them snug now.

Washers lose their compressibility.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I used aN IMPROPERLY ADJUSTED OR DEFECTIVE torque wrench

Fixed again. ;)

Otherwise agreed ... washers (and most rubber/rubber-cork seals) need to be replaced on a schedule for a good reason.

Also it doesn't hurt to RTFM.... however Toyota also calls for a new drain-plug every oil change which (at least if you carefully do the work yourself!) is absolutely not required unless it has visible damage and/or leaks.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Fixed again. ;)

Otherwise agreed ... washers (and most rubber/rubber-cork seals) need to be replaced on a schedule for a good reason.

Also it doesn't hurt to RTFM.... however Toyota also calls for a new drain-plug every oil change which (at least if you carefully do the work yourself!) is absolutely not required unless it has visible damage and/or leaks.
Dude, it's freaking valve cover on an old car(1MZ-FE). Snug is fine and no one expects a metal bolt to get snapped after light torqueing. .

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you read the manual and knew that the alloy bolts (which are intended to be single-use) in that Lexus engine were somewhat "compromised" after being fully torqued down but still wanted to re-use them anyway you would LOWER the torque-setting on the wrench roughly 20%.

Having said that, tightening a valve-cover manually by feel should be okay too provided you know what you're doing.

;)

Reactions: nakedfrog

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You guys think im kidding when i say i torque my screws on my servers and PC..

These are the tools i always bring out each time i need to open up one of my servers and play with them.

20230514_105017.jpg

Top is a clicky... means it turns and click.
The Orange is the Offical Threadripper / EYPC.
The bottom one is a digital, for more special needs.

I use the top clicky most of the time at about 6-8 lbs/in for most stuff, unless its a VERY small nVME screw or something.
Those only get slightly hand tighten.

Hard drives are all torqued.

PC Build is serious business now :cool:

However if you OVER-tighten any bolt it will strip and/or snap every time.

My biggest bane is when i or someone strips a screw.
I replace them religiously, and also ones starting to show rust in harsh enviorment, as once rust starts, you can't stop it.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante