Do network viruses exist?

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys, I would like to confirm something with this situation please. Owner brought a dell laptop and this Hp Pavilion 23 pc with the same symptoms, on powering it's not recognizing a boot device. I had to reload win10 on the laptop and replace the HDD on this desktop and all was well but now both computers started showing the same symptoms again.

I could only suspect maybe some virus activity on her network causing the same problems with multiple pc's but she called verizon who told her there is no such thing as a virus being on their line, which I understand. What I am not understanding is why they could not send someone to check the network for viruses, not the line? Any thoughts/advice for her please?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
there is no such thing as a network virus. you can have malicious attacks through network, but these originate from a computer hooked to that network; there is no way a ISP could check this as to them, it's just traffic.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The big issue in our society in general, and as such in Computer issue is that Verbal Playing replaces tangible Reality.

Example:

I gave John $1, I can say "I gave him Money".

I gave Dave $1000, I can say "I gave him Money".

Since in both cases I can say the exact phrase "I gave him Money" $1 = $1000.

There is No computer Virus. What we call Computer Virus is a name to code that was embedded in the system that execute commands that we do not want.

The capacity to control computers through Networks does not turn the Network per-se to a computer, and that includes the ""Virus"".

:cool:

Feb 25, 2011
It's possible one of the computers had, say, WannaCry, and it infected the other, and when you cleaned one the other infected it.

But that's not a network virus, that's two computers infecting each other over a network. Kinda different.

It's also possible it's a coincidence, and you just have two early-failure HDDs being flaky.