Do most of dogs afraid of water?

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Today I brought one of my dog canoeing. I tried to get the dog to walk in the shallow water, but she won't even get of the boat. I've always thought dogs love water, and swimming.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I think it depends on the dog and their upbringing. I've seen dogs that would go swimming on a regular basis.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

<< Do most of dogs af afraid of water? >>

All your base are belong to us !!

Or something...! :confused:

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I think it also has to do with the breed. Don't black labs LOVE water?

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
The reason most dogs are afraid of water:

Imagine seeing only in black and white. And you come up to this thing that looks like a big black hole with no bottom. Well wouldn't you be afraid to step in there?

If a dog is brought up swimming in water and stuff, then they get used to it and there's no problem.

nirgis

Mar 4, 2001
my dog likes water, but only when its warm. In the fall or spring she will never go in...

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
How do you know it's black and not a white hole? What about a 50% grey hole? It could be like a black and white picture. hrm...Lemme go ask... :D

nirgis

Mar 4, 2001
my dog likes water, but only when its warm. In the fall or spring she will never go in...

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
my dog grew up around my pool and jacuzzi and i even gave him swimming lessons. however he has decided he will only swim in oceans or lakes. i think his problem is the bank (pools are harder for them to get out of) he has more fear than i expected, and despite tons of training, he will never love the water the way a Portguese Water Dog will :(

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< Imagine seeing only in black and white >>

are you suggesting that dogs don't have colour vision??

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I mispoke. Not 'black and white' but more of limited color. As the below describes, dogs see more in shades of gray. Who knows....

Color vision

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A number of studies have been done to investigate the color vision of dogs, and the results have been conflicting. However, more recent, better controlled studies indicate that dogs do possess and use color vision, but not to the same degree that humans do. The photoreceptor used for color vision is the cone, and there are cones present in the canine retina. However, they are present in low numbers, comprising less than 10% of the total photoreceptor population in the central area of the retina, as opposed to the human retina which consists of nearly 100% cones in the fovea. Two distinct type of cones appear to be present in the canine retina. One type is maximally sensitive to light in the wavelength that appears violet to people, and the other type is maximally sensitive to light in the wavelength that appears yellow-green to people. Thus, it appears that the visual spectrum of color in dogs is divided into two hues; one in the violet and blue-violet range, probably appearing as blue, and the other in the greenish-yellow, yellow, and red range, which is probably seen as yellow. Light that appears blue-green to people probably appears as white or shades of gray to dogs. Dogs are unable to differentiate colors that appear as green, yellow-green, orange or red to people, and are unable to differentiate greenish-blue from gray. This is similar to people who are red-green color blind. However, one study indicates that dogs are better able to differentiate between subtle shades of gray than people, which would be advantageous in increasing visual discrimination in low light conditions, where insufficient light is available to stimulate cones.

Link

TimeThrash

Banned
Jul 6, 2000
Make sure your dog has a lifevest. You can get one here:
Heh......doggies.

Or here:
Doggies!!!

My bassett hound would go into our neighbors pool, but when she went into the jacuzzi she hung out at the side wanted my mom to hold her. It's very hot remember and dogs don't take daily showers (maybe yours does) so they're not used to it. I doubt dogs in jacuzzis is a smart idea.

I miss my dog Fern. =(, I went to a basset rescue site last night and pledged their &quot;Basset Buddy&quot; program on two dogs, $20 each. Why would anyone go to a breeder when they can get a perfect dog at a shelter or a rescue? Why would anyone buy a cat when they could have a dog?
Tt

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
My girls dog loves to swim. He will go in the pool whenever we go in it or we let him go in. My puppy also loves the water. Ive been bringin him into the pool with me a few times aweek and now he runs up to the side and puts a paw in looks over at me and sees if i care or not, its cute lol. Both dogs are Great Danes if that matters.

Kao

TimeThrash

Banned
Jul 6, 2000
I think more active dogs like the beach. My golden retrievers did. What kind of dog do you have?
Tt

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Why would anyone buy a cat when they could have a dog?

Exactly, cats are lazy finicky and to responsible.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Most dogs like swimming in lakes and streams and what not. They tend not to like pools because of the chlorine. Have you ever taken a direct sniff from a bottle of chlorine? That's what a pool smells like to a dog because of their heightened sense of smell.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
My dog (beagle) hates the water, but he can swim. Of course, given the proper motivation, he'll get in the water on his own. We usually take him along when we feed the fish in our pond, and he'll usually get in the pond to snag a piece of bread for himself :D. But that's just about how you convince a beagle to do anything...just add food :)

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000

<< Today I brought one of my dog canoeing. I tried to get the dog to walk in the shallow water, but she won't even get of the boat. I've always thought dogs love water, and swimming. >>

Perhaps, your dog thinks she is a cat?
You may want to take your dog to a local dog shrink.