Do monitors usually come with the cable?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aman74, Mar 27, 2003.

1. aman74

aman74 Senior member

Most monitors use a VGA cable right? Is it male to male or male to female? Is there a difference with SUPER VGA cable? I was looking for cable on Newegg and alot of them say for KVM, what is that?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - monitors cable Forum Date
    I have a quick question about HDMI cables and PC monitors General Hardware Feb 4, 2014
    I am never going to unplug/replug HDMI cable into back of monitor again General Hardware Aug 21, 2011
    Monitor to Xbox 360. Need cabling advice for sound. General Hardware Apr 8, 2008
    DVI Cable Splitter For Monitor General Hardware Feb 4, 2008
    Cable tv on computer monitor General Hardware Feb 3, 2008

3. Lord Evermore

Lord Evermore Diamond Member

Most monitors now have the cable integrated, so it's not replaceable, with a male connector on the end.

For those that do have a detachable cable, it's usually a male to male cable (female connector on video card and monitor).

A KVM cable is a male to female, because it's used to connect the KVM port (male) to the video card port (female). A KVM cable could also be used as an extension cable for a monitor cable, but of course you lose signal quality.

Don't know if there's any difference between "VGA" and "super VGA" cables, possibly higher bandwidth capable for higher resolution and refresh support. Pretty much any not dirt cheap KVM cable can support high settings though, whether it's labelled VGA or super VGA, and of course you have the option of "Gold" cables from most brands that are supposed to be better able to handle high settings.

4. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

KVM stands for Keyboard/Video/Mouse. It's basically a switchbox that allows you to have a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but multiple computers. Each computer will need a KVM cable to go from the KVM switchbox to the monitor (and keyboard and mouse). Hope that helps.

5. Howard

Howard Lifer

Cheaper monitors have the cable integrated, whereas better monitors come with a connector, IIRC.

6. MikeMike

MikeMike Lifer

so is a 700nf a cheap monitor? cuz i believe the cable is integegrated and i know it is a damn hig quality monitor

7. Lord Evermore

Lord Evermore Diamond Member

Most consumer monitors, whether "cheap" or not, use an integrated cable, and have for years now. Only very high end monitors (like a dual-input 21 inch) use separate cables.