do micro usb ports wear out?

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
do the micro usb ports bend or wear out? i noticed my car charger has become very sensitive, if you move the usb plug a little but it will disconnect. my home charger is still fine. im wondering it i might have damaged my car charger or if the port on my phone got bent/loosened.

also, could you plug a keyboard, hub or other peripheral into a droid phone micro usb port?

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Different cords are created to different variances. Cheap cords can be very loose and easy to have bad connections. I am not a fan of the microUSB connector at all and think the miniUSB connector had a much better fit. However, it is what it is and I haven't had any major issues myself and I am guessing it would be possible for the connectors to get loose, but I think it's a combination of both.

My car charger is very loose, it was a $2 cord from china off ebay. My kindle charging cord, which is also microUSB, works fantastic. I love one thing about microUSB and that is that has become very universal.

As for your 2nd question... no idea. Never tried or researched. However, it looks like yes you can. I knew HC tablets supported keyboards, wasn't sure about GB.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-a-usb-keyboard-to-an-android-phone/

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Different cords are created to different variances. Cheap cords can be very loose and easy to have bad connections. I am not a fan of the microUSB connector at all and think the miniUSB connector had a much better fit. However, it is what it is and I haven't had any major issues myself and I am guessing it would be possible for the connectors to get loose, but I think it's a combination of both.

My car charger is very loose, it was a $2 cord from china off ebay. My kindle charging cord, which is also microUSB, works fantastic. I love one thing about microUSB and that is that has become very universal.

As for your 2nd question... no idea. Never tried or researched. However, it looks like yes you can. I knew HC tablets supported keyboards, wasn't sure about GB.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-to-add-a-usb-keyboard-to-an-android-phone/

micro usb is what is used for droid and current blackberrys right? that is what im trying to refer to

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's almost always the connection on the cord that messes up and makes it hard to charge, usually not the port in the phone. Try another cord to see.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
One of the reasons for the move to micro was to make the point of common failure move from the port (as was the case with mini-usb) to the cable, which is more easily replaced. Micro is also designed to last through 10x as many cycles.

However, I never had any of my dozens of mini-usb cables or ports break and I've had 1/3 of my ~10 microusb cables stop working well or at all (average age = 1 year). Also, it's harder to plug micro-usb in without looking.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It's almost always the connection on the cord that messes up and makes it hard to charge, usually not the port in the phone. Try another cord to see.

Seconded. Cheap cords have smaller connectors that allow wiggling. My old non-smart phone LG phone had a micro USB connector and the stock charger that came with it wouldn't even make a proper connection.

The USB cable that comes with your phone is usually high quality and doesn't move around.

Another micro USB cable that I've found works FANTASTIC is the Amazon Kindle charger cable. I bought a couple off eBay for <$5 each. They have a nice 'bulky' micro USB connector that doesn't wiggle around. Micro USB chargers made for blackberries are high quality as well.

These are some good ones:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Data-Cable-M...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4cfa62b6eb

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Micro-USB-Da...927100?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a6921d13c

Last edited: