Do Mastercard/Visa benefits apply to a debit card used as credit with the logo?

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
when I got taken on ebay, visa told me that the debit card I paid with through paypal did not have the same protections as a visa credit card - that the protections were decided by my bank, not visa. I got most of the money back from ebay, but I've pretty much decided to stop using my debit card online. One time use CC #s = feel alot safer, even if I may not be.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Dubb
when I got taken on ebay, visa told me that the debit card I paid with through paypal did not have the same protections as a visa credit card - that the protections were decided by my bank, not visa. I got most of the money back from ebay, but I've pretty much decided to stop using my debit card online. One time use CC #s = feel alot safer, even if I may not be.

Well obviously VISA is not going to cover that money because it comes out of your personal bank account. this is more about the added benefits that come with mastercard

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
a debit card isn't a credit card account

the protections apply to credit card accounts, not debit cards with logos

your checking account that the debit card accesses has different terms/conditions than a credit card account

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
a debit card isn't a credit card account

the protections apply to credit card accounts, not debit cards with logos

your checking account that the debit card accesses has different terms/conditions than a credit card account
That's what I was thinking, odd that the first three posters were a positive Yes.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
However, I did specify when you're using it as credit, not direct debit, so does that make a difference?