Do later production i7-4790 CPUs run cooler?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Picked up some retired office computers with the i7-4790. My personal experience with the i7-4790 in office computers is that they run around 10 degrees hotter than the i7-4770. Small sample tested

These computer workstations run at stock speeds, but have much better than intel heatsinks in them

Anyway, one of them is the newest computer of the bunch, and the temps under load are much lower than the others. The others run 82 to 86 max while video encoding with handbrake. The good one here runs at 73 degrees max

I did put fresh MX2 on the cpu/heatsinks.

Do later production i7-4790 CPUs run cooler?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Having destroyed an early i7 4790k, I can say that its replacement (the production line was a year old by then) ran cooler than the first chip. Both were within broad expectations, however, so the difference may be due to normal inter-chiovariations. But I am not surprised that your latest machine is running cooler. From what others have said, the later models of every chip run cooler and faster than early models -- because the people in charge of the throughput make changes to the process based on their experience.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Could be the paste used by Intel. They may have changed the TIM, or it may simply be that the TIM on the newer chip is in better shape.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Did all of the computers have around the same ambient temps? I would think the later process would certainly improve the cooling but I wouldn't think that it would be that noticeable, if more than negligible at all.